trolls

• Creator
    Topic
  • #158942 Reply
    sif

I suggest people read the thread on the kona ev to see a troll in action. I have complained to admin.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #158945 Reply
    Tim

Looks like exploitation of the any name and email fields to post. No hacking, just a simple name copy by an unregistered user by the looks of it.

#158946 Reply
    Brydo

Sif if you sign in to the forum this will stop. I can’t sign in just now as I’ve forgotten my password and it won’t let me change it 😞

#158948 Reply
    ajn

Wow very naughty..

I remember there being 2 ajn’s, it’s quite annoying, however try to relax about it..

Things never seem so bad if you just relax..

#158952 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I have noted the IP address and we will find the culprit.

#158953 Reply
    ajn

🥸👹

#158960 Reply
    struth
    Participant

The audio forum I am on gets trolls from time to time, although much less now as we installed software to block them joining.

#158964 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I can’t see any good reason not to require posters to be signed up. Other forums do.

#158965 Reply
    struth
    Participant

certainly no one should be able to post without signing in.  once trolls find they can they will.  if your on v bulletin then there are firewalls available to help stop it.

#158967 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

To not be signed into the Forum is a decision we made at the start, intended to offer the forum to as wide a range of posters as possible, there are still a large number of people, particularly in the disabled community, who do not want to be tracked and enjoy the anonymity this offers. I will talk to the Mods to see how they feel. The forum, on the whole, remains friendly and well policed. We run a wardrobe full of firewalls and ani spam software in order to keep things in order, we have the ability to block individual IP addresses and we do frequently, we also keep a note of all IP addresses that are questionable.

#158968 Reply
    struth
    Participant

sure, i understand all your points and position.  was just a suggestion. At one point we had quite a lot of issues and had to tighten up a bit alas.

ps ours is an audio forum and nowt to do with yours, although we do have a lot of car nuts

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by struth.
    #158970 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Wmc, home IP addresses normally change whenever a router is restarted – easy to get round.  And people use VPNs (I do) which mask the users real IP address.

#158972 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wmc, home IP addresses normally change whenever a router is restarted – easy to get round. And people use VPNs (I do) which mask the users real IP address.

The reality is that you have to turn your equipment off for a good few hours to force an ip change, try it.

Domestic VPN usage is so small it is not an issue, also people tend to find a geolocation and stick to it, it does not affect our work. Trust me.

#158974 Reply
    Tim

I do like that the forum is open. Having to not register in today’s age is a blessing.

#158975 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Wmc, any troll can force an IP change in seconds if they access the router setup.   Your system won’t let me post from my phone blaming my VPN while allowing me to post from my tablet using the same VPN!  (I have asked about this but without response…)

#158976 Reply
    ajn

Ww you seem to know your way around it all, was it you insulting yourself, guess not, you wouldn’t do that I suppose👍

#158977 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Wmc, any troll can force an IP change in seconds if they access the router setup.

Again, the reality is quite different. Try it.

#158980 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

As an IT consultant for a number of years, wmc, I don’t have to try it to know it.

#158982 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Times change old chap, the ip address is static to the MAC address of the router/hub, the only way for this to change is if the router is switched off for long enough for the allocated ip address to be re issued and then a new ip address will be forced on the router. I really don’t have time for this.

#158983 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Agreed and the IP address will be reissued by the DSLAM when it’s forced to start a new session, no need to wait if you have the right toolkit.

#158984 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Perhaps you can fix this, wmc, which I have reported before:

#158987 Reply
    ajn

Sooooo that’s all the bull💩, who’s the troll wmc

#158991 Reply
    brydo

ajn,”there’s only one ajn, one a….j……n there’s only one a….j…n” lol

#158995 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

WW, if you send me the IP address that you are presenting hiding behind from your mobile device, I will attempt to add it to the safe list.

#158996 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Sooooo that’s all the bull💩, who’s the troll wmc

We are looking for someone with vast historical IT knowledge, with the ability to mask or even change their IP address, so we are going door to door at GCHQ and the Kremlin at the moment then will expand the search out from there. (That’s me put on cyber watch for mentioning those two in the same sentence)

#158997 Reply
    Wigwam

Wmcforum, if you’re going down that road, I suggest you protect yourself by hiding behind a VPN.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
Reply To: trolls
Your information: