Toyota RAV4 Vs Mitsubshi Outlander PHEV

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Menorca Mike 11 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85071 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Which is the better vehicle, UK owners are reporting the new RAV4 fuel consumption around the 50mpg + mark, were as Mitsubishi PHEV owners are reliant on plugging into the mains electric to achieve similar figures, without recharging from the mains owner are achieving around the 25 mpg mark.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85075 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

My understanding of the Mitsubishi PHEW is it’s a complicated car to drive and get the best results from it after watching hours and hours of YouTube videos of this car.

I think that users are just not using it to its best advantage and are trying to get by and driving it as if it was just an electric car and after they’ve driven 28 miles from home then depend on its engine to drive the rest of the way.

The car has complicated settings for electric only, save battery for town, mixture of both engine and battery, using the torque of going down hill to charge the battery, the list goes on.

While I’ve seen stories of 30 MPG or there about it seems those that know how to use the tech are getting 80 to 100 MPG.

These complexities and the boot load area was one thing that put me off this model as not being able to test drive cars and the shifting of the mode stick and setting flappy paddles might be beyond driving it to full ability using just one hand.

#85077 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I have been following the Mitsubishi PHEV forums for past 12  months or so, from what I can gather the only owners to obtain 80/100 mpg are those who do short journey virtually on electric only were as the Toyota RAV4 is just jump in and drive, no electric leads plus a big boot, however, both have their own version of the CVT gearbox, from what I have read both are nowhere as bad as the smaller engine Toyotas.

At the moment I am just trying to get my head around all this new technology, from the outside it would appear the RAV4 now has a far better engine and hybrid system than the previous model and far superior it all respects to the Mitsubishi PHEV, it would appear the only advantage the Mitsubishi PHEV has is it 28 mile electric only range. In an ideal world I would love a Toyota RAV4 PHEV, but they do not exist, maybe some of up and coming PHEV can fill that void in the market?.

My problem is I tow a caravan, at present the only electric car capable of towing a caravan is the Tesla, but even the Tesla has limitation, it is limited to 100 miles too protect the motors.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#85106 Reply

Rico
    Participant

I would go for Toyota all day long for a hybrid, after all they have made hybrids for years and are known for having the most bullet proof engine (Lexus are just posh toyotas and are owned by them).. I would of gone and test drove a rav4 tbh if hybrid was available when I needed to change.

#85107 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I have found this article on one of the Australian

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/toyota-rav4-hybrid-2019-tow-test-119784/ towing sites.

11.8 litres/100km is around 23/24 uk mpg

4.4 litres/100km is around 64 uk mpg

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by  Oscarmax.

#85121 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’ve yet to see a Rav 4 on the road looks fab in the advert hybrid all the way

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Toyota RAV4 Vs Mitsubshi Outlander PHEV

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: