Thread for EV mpg info.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #179369 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just got our Volvo xc40 PHEV yesterday, battery wasn’t charged 😞. I plan to log the mileage I do and the fossil fuel I put in, on a regular basis.

The Volvo app doesn’t give as much info as some so feel free to enter your own info, in as much detail as you want, to give those sitting on the fence the info they need to make the decision that is correct for them.

Obviously this thread relates to BEVs as well as PHEV.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #179371 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

If you’re including BEV’s shouldn’t it be “range” rather than mpg?🤔

#179373 Reply
    JohntheLeg
    Participant

So glad to here you received your car yesterday @Brydo but very sad to hear the dealer could not even charge the battery for you. It will be interesting to see your future fuel logs.

Happy motoring Brydo. I’m hoping to come up to Aviemore in May to give my wife a break either in the Kona EV or if it’s been delivered the Hyundai Tucson PHEV.

#179374 Reply
    James

Here’s some details from an Id3 tour, battery is 77 kWh

In the winter it’s not great with the battery heating but on a long run it’s ok, in the warmer months it’s great

#179375 Reply
    Brydo

wardy your absolutely correct, my apologies.

John the guy was very apologetic, he had it it plugged in but the switch had tripped lol. Never the less he was a very nice guy, camp as a row of tents but very good at his job. He went through every thing in detail and was very pleasant. Overall a very easy and enjoyable hand over.

Thanks for that James very helpful.

My son was looking to get an ID3 on his works salary sacrifice scheme but, just like this scheme, many cars are unavailable and unfortunately the ID 3 is one of them.

#179384 Reply
    joss

Congrats on new motor Brydo

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179391 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Thanks joss I’m loving it, been out a few times today and all on pure electric.

#179470 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just been on a thirty mile round trip, first 15 miles in pure electric mode. Stopped the car turned engine off 9 miles electric range left. Got out for five then back in started car but pure electric mode wasn’t available. Drove home in hybrid but didn’t actually engage the petrol engine until the final mile.
    In my previous xc40 petrol that would have been a gallon of fuel which is £6+, lost track of actual cost of a gallon of petrol,

#179481 Reply
    joss

1 uk gallon = 4.55 litres x 1.57 per litre = £7.14 aprox @Brydo

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#179484 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Thanks joss I’m loving it, been out a few times today and all on pure electric.

Well done Brydo about time you stopped polluting the planet, are you using the electric heating when in EV mode our are you toughing it out,

P.S. they have started fitting my solar panels this morning.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#179486 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well done. Brydo.  Worth bearing in mind (and you may already know) that the aircon in Pure mode is pretty useless, the car mists up too readily.  We have the Individual profile set the same as Pure but with normal climate control, and always use that when local.  Any journey longer than the likely range we use Hybrid.

Had to drive up to central London on Saturday, so I set it to save the battery on the way up so we got into the stop start traffic with full electric range and used it up in London.  Worked well.  Its that sort of traffic where Pure mode excels. Anything to relieve the stress of London driving…

#179487 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Hahaha 😝 thanks joss.

Absolutely oscarmax it’s been a long time coming.

Havnt had to use the heating yet as it’s been lovely up here since I got it but I will when I need to. I’m not that much of a tight-fist, or at least I don’t think I am 😂.

#179493 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

@wigwam I did know that but still got a lot to learn about the car. Haven’t set the individual profile yet, will need to look into how to do that.

Im having problems with the app as it’s dropping in and out of Bluetooth which is a bit of a pain.

@Oscarmax
    that great news, we’ve had four great sunny days up here and my old solar system has produced around 60kwh which has charged our PHEV totally free of charge over the past three days and, by the looks of it, today also.

#179675 Reply
    Just2Fish

I’ve had my Hyundai Kona EV for about 6 months now. In the summer I’ve averaged at least 4.6 miles per kWh, now in the winter I’m averaging 4.2, that’s with heated seats and air conditioning on, driving fairly quickly, and pre-heating the car before I go out to it.

#179688 Reply
    James

Nice colour on the kona

Whats the battery size?

They are some amazing figures, I don’t know anyone achieving 4.2 in the winter on a regular basis. What’s the secret?

#179725 Reply
    struth
    Participant

im still pulling decent figures from my kona.  some of this was in sport mode too, which is fairly quick lol

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#179740 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Drove to Birmingham and back yesterday thought I would need to stop in Telford on the way back for a top up but made it home 116 miles and had 16% left car was reading 2.8 miles per KW at 6 degrees yesterday I was very impressed. We passed a BP near home showing £1.71 per litre so that’s £7.72 a gallon so this trip would have cost me around £24 in the Alhambra but with only having to charge at home the trip cost me £2.20. And as I was collecting a bath can’t fault size of car

#179748 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

#179749 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

6 days in and averaging 83mpg, I do 99% local journeys but this mpg will continue towards 100mpg if things continue as they are.

Compare this to the 30 mpg, max, I was getting with the petrol xc40.

#179805 Reply
    Just2Fish

Hi James, sorry I’ve only just checked in again and seen your question. My Kona battery size is 64 kWh and I don’t know that I have a secret, this is my first electric car so I have nothing to compare it with except that the Kona is considered one of the best electric cars.

#179812 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Collected my new driving glasses this morning 11 miles journey, it is warm this morning so no heating on, vehicle recording 3.8 kWh, normal this time of year with the heater on between 2.4-2.8 kWh

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#179821 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Well that’s me a week into ev driving and I’m enjoying it, I haven’t knowingly drove using petrol but as you can see about 10% of my journeys have been fossil fuel.  Strangely I appear to be doing fewer miles than I normally do, don’t know why that is.

My mpg is edging higher heading towards 90

#179826 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I’ve now got an EV for my company car, a MG5 EV. At the moment I don’t have my wall charger which won’t be installed for around another 6 weeks. That means when I charge the car at home it takes around 23 hours on the supplied granny charger and for that I get around 180 miles. I’ve used fast chargers on the motorway and they take around 90 mins to fully charge the car. However, the cost of charging on the motorway was a shade under £20 for 180 miles. With the energy crisis getting worse all the time, I expect this cost to increase. I’m glad my company pay for these recharges as the other day I had to charge the batteries twice at a cost of almost £40. Having to stop on the way there and on the way back also turned my day into a 13 hour one. Normally I would set my cruise control to around 75mph but in the EV I never ventured over 70mph plus I was having to run it in ECO mode which is something I never do in the BMW.

#179827 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

Elliot that is interesting because we do have charger all is fine but if there was a doubt with getting a home charger installed I really believe now 6 months on we would not have gone EV

#179834 Reply
    James

I personally wouldn’t have an ev without an home charger at the moment, has time goes on more and more chargers will be available and they’ll only get faster.

We use our home charger practically every day.

If you’ve got time and patience public charging is fine but when you’ve been at work all day the last thing you want to do is wait for a charger to be available and then another hour to top it back up for the next day.

#179835 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I personally wouldn’t have an ev without an home charger at the moment, has time goes on more and more chargers will be available and they’ll only get faster. We use our home charger practically every day. If you’ve got time and patience public charging is fine but when you’ve been at work all day the last thing you want to do is wait for a charger to be available and then another hour to top it back up for the next day.

I stopped at Cambridge services and there were only 2 charging points and luckily I managed to get one straight away but some people had to wait for more than an hour before they could use one.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
Reply To: Thread for EV mpg info.
Your information: