The fastest man made object

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  joss 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #97703 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

The fastest man made object isn’t a hypersonic jet or spacecraft, but a large manhole cover…. When the US started doing underground nuclear testing, nobody really knew what would happen. One test bomb was placed at the bottom of a 485-foot deep shaft on July 26, 1957, and someone thought it was a good idea to put a half-ton iron manhole cover on top to contain the explosion. The bomb turned the shaft into the world’s largest Roman candle, and the manhole cover was nowhere to be found. Robert Brownlee, an astrophysicist who designed the test, wanted to repeat the experiment with high-speed cameras so he could figure out what happened to the cover. So another experiment was created, this time 500-feet deep, and a similar half-ton manhole cover was placed on top. On August 27, 1957, they detonated the bomb. The high-speed cameras barely caught a view of the cover as it left the top of the shaft and headed into oblivion. Brownlee used the frames to calculate the speed to be more than 125,000 miles per hour…. more than five times the escape velocity of the Earth, and the fastest man-made object in history.

Physicists have debated the whereabouts of the two manhole covers ever since. Recently, with the help of supercomputers and a lot more scientific knowledge, physicists are certain that they wouldn’t have had time to burn up completely before exiting the atmosphere. This means both of the remaining pieces would have passed Pluto’s orbit sometime around 1961 and are way beyond the edge of the solar system by now. 🙂

Just some random trivia for a Wednesday evening

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #97706 Reply

Colin
    Participant

So the planet will get wiped out in a couple of thousand years when some alien royal family on an interstellar cruise is wiped out by a “missile”  tracked back to Earth 😛

#97708 Reply

Winston

I’m sure my dog can match if not beat that speed if I manage to sneak into the kitchen undetected then make too much noise opening a packet of biscuits 🤣

1 decibel too much and he’s at my feet lol

#97723 Reply

joss
    Participant

The UFO was spotted going passed Mars

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#97724 Reply

Winston

They don’t make cartoons like that these days 😭

#97736 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Isn’t Boris Johnson avoiding the Andrew Neil interview faster ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#97950 Reply

POPS

Isn’t Boris Johnson avoiding the Andrew Neil interview faster ?

Nice one Mike, this made me laugh out loud.

#97978 Reply

joss
    Participant

Now that would truly be a car crash of an interview. Andrew would shred him.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: The fastest man made object

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: