Something I seriously underestimated

• Creator
    Topic
    des
    Participant

I really have not thought of this until now, and it’s hit me like a bomb. This will be my last decent car on motabillity as in three years time my daughter will be 17 and going on the insurance which means I’ll be left with a rubbish selection and practically no EVs.

And she will be on it for probably 2 leases, six years, by that time I’d hope that her insurance would be reasonable.

I should have put a few pound away over the last few years and just got what I wanted with as many packs as I wanted and just enjoyed a top speced car before I go into a 1ltr washing machine for 6 years.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

There is a plus point. Think how much your daughter will save on insurance. My 18 year old nephew just got insurance on a 1L 10 year old VW Polo living in rural Lincolnshire, it cost him over £3000.

kezo
        Participant

You may be doing your wallet a favour but, may not be doing her a favour in the long run, as she would have missed out on 6 years NCB, which would likely impact her just as much at 25.

Jojoe
          Participant

You may be doing your wallet a favour but, may not be doing her a favour in the long run, as she would have missed out on 6 years NCB, which would likely impact her just as much at 25.

Good point, but she will have 6 years as a named driver on another policy. That should reduce her premium.

Participant

Not so sure about that. Missing out on NCB will be offset by a much lower cost of getting insurance for the first time by being over 25. My daughter recently got her first policy after being on my insurance for a few years and paid just over £700 for fully comp. She is 25 and has held a full licence for 6 years but had no NCB.

des
              Participant

Yeah Joejoe there a local news article today about the prices and most policy’s have doubled and when one guy enquired about it. Word for word.

Samuel Ruddy from Hillsborough has intended to automatically renew his insurance, but said the quote he received was double the amount he had been paying.

It went from £315.73 in 2022/23 to £748.40 in 2024 he said. I asked the insurance company why such a large amount was added and I was told there are more young drivers on the road, more accidents also more claims had been put in from last year, therefore, to balance the books and increase was needed. Feckin gangsters.

Kezo I would be hoping that some companies will take the fact that she has been driving for a a few years and had no accidents which has been mentioned on here a lot, some do some dont. Not perfect but should be better than nothing. Should also give her a chance of earning a bit more after being in a job for a while and becoming more financially independent.

Maybe it won’t be to bad. If I had to go under 25 now I could live with the 1.0T advance auto Kona tbh. But nothing electric would do as there’s really only the low range moka

Jojoe
                Participant

Mrs Joe and I are both in our fifties with over 10 years no claims. We got a quote on a Tesla model 3. Was £1200 early last year, this year it was £1800. Totally convinced us to stay with Motability.

Ele
                  Participant

Forget the packs imo and save the money

You still have 3 yrs to save up and get her a little runabout of her own

No gain as Kezo has already said putting her on Motorbility insurance

Panic over lol

Glos Guy
                    Participant

As others have said, pros and cons both ways. Personally I strongly favour letting your kids build up their own NCD in their own cars. I did this with my two and it paid dividends, both in their confidence as drivers and in terms of the insurance premiums they have paid. There is a simple way to lessen the sky high premiums that people quote, and that is to add a parent (with a clean licence and no claims in the past 5 years) as a named driver, even if they will never ever drive the car. It reduces the risk profile massively and usually more than halves the premium. I drove my Dads car until I could afford to buy my first car at 18, but would have hated not having my own personal set of wheels!

Participant

would agree with GG…

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                        Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

des
                        Participant

I think 6 years was a wild guess. More like a teo years. But aye me going on as a named driver would be best as that’s what my father did for me. She has been driving from 11 and is quite capable in an auto.

I’ve a niece and nephew just recently passed and had cars on the road a week after they turned 18. One is in the country side and paying 2.5k and one in the city paying 3k. One wrote their car off after 3 weeks and the other within 4 days 😒. Both are back driving and I’ve haven’t even asked what they are paying now. No amount of lessons or tests will replace the experience of driving.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.