Social services care package

• Creator
    Topic
  • #126563 Reply
    Graeme

Until recently i had a care package from social services.

Then out of the blue i recieved a bill from them for many hundreds of pounds.

They’d decided that my newly awarded PIP higher rate for care & mobility took me over an income line meaning that i would now have to contribute £100 pounds per week towards my care.

Because benefits are my sole income losing £100 per week would be difficult in the extreme for me so i immediately cancelled my whole care package.

Fast forward a month and after some reflection i can now say that there have been some plusses and minuses to losing my care.

The Bad:

I now have a beard – only because i am unable to shave myself. I also haven’t had a shower for over a month because for the most part i’m unable to wash or dry myself.

The Good:

I can eat whatever i like(pizza delivery, Chinese and Indian deliveries too) instead of the healthy food that the carers used to make for me, and i can sit in my underpants all day long just watching daytime tv.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #126565 Reply
    joss
    Participant

That is bloody crap Graeme. Just what is the margin between getting the care package and higher rate mobility?

I love the good and bad Graeme. Especially  the good. It Made me laugh. However it’s not funny that you have had to make such a decision between getting the care package you really need. I would write to my MP about this. Also seek help from other agencies if you can.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#126574 Reply
    Tharg

Graeme, that is a disgrace! I totally agree with Joss. Write to your MP to ask for support; it really does seem to make a difference. I had a big dispute with the DHS which refused to comply with an Appeal ruling. Nothing happened when writing/calling/emailing them; they just did not even acknowledge my letters etc. After involving the MP I got a very swift result, in my favour, and even received an “ex gratia” payment to cover all the hassle they’d put me through (by defying their OWN rules).

#126576 Reply
    joss
    Participant

I have used my MP loads of times. MP is Ed Milliband. They do get  results trust me

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#126578 Reply
    Georgie

These days it always seems to be a case that The squeaky wheel gets the grease: you have to get either your MP or the local papers on your side before anything gets done, which is an appalling way to treat people.

#126581 Reply
    ajn

Hope you can sort something out Graeme some great advice there from some of the members..

It helps sometimes to get on here vent some frustration and maybe save my family from my concerns of which mostly they have no answer.
    It’s a nightmare not being able to do some tasks that before weren’t a problem.

#126593 Reply
    Graeme

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Some fabulous advice from you all!

Silly i guess but it never even occured to me to contact my MP.

First thing Monday i will now be writing to my MP.

Again, thank you everyone.

#126601 Reply
    joss
    Participant

@Graeme Please do keep us up to date, and good luck from us all

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#126608 Reply
    Graeme

Hi @joss

I will definitely update as and when things develop Joss.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Social services care package
Your information: