Randomly test drivers for drugs and alcohol

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  daveblue 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #99453 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Article

Police in England, Wales and Scotland should be given new powers to set up vehicle checkpoints and randomly test drivers for the presence of drink and drugs.

That’s according to road safety charity Brake, which claims most drivers would support random drug and alcohol testing by the police.

The measure, it says, would help curb the increasing number of drink and drug driving related crashes and deaths on the roads, and comes ahead of the festive season, which usually sees a spike in such incidents.

Recent figures estimate that the total number of deaths in crashes involving a drink driver went up 9% from 2016 to 2017 (from 230 to 250) with someone killed or injured in a drink drive related crash every hour, on average, in December.

Drug driving also appears to be on the increase, with the number of fatal and serious crashes with a contributory factor of the driver/rider impaired by illicit or medicinal drugs increasing by 8% over the same period, up from 447 to 484 incidents.

Furthermore, the number of drug-driving prosecutions almost doubled last year, with a record 10,215 cases in England and Wales, compared with 5,368 in 2017. Some 60,000 drivers failed roadside breath tests in 2016, according to Ministry of Justice data.

Fleet News reported in the summer how statistics released by some individual forces showed a worrying trend, with cannabis and cocaine now more prevalent than alcohol in roadside tests.

Data released by Suffolk Police, for example, shows that the number of arrests for drug-driving surpassed the number of drink-drive arrests for the first time in the county.

The 672 drug-driving arrests in 2018/19 represented a 20% increase on the previous 12 months, while drink-driving increased by 11.3% to 652 arrests.

Research shows that a visible police presence and the fear of being caught are effective in driving compliance with the law and so the charity believes that the introduction of random testing could have an immediate impact on the number of people driving impaired.

Joshua Harris, director of campaigns for Brake, said: “We need urgent action by the next Government to tackle this worrying trend and we call for new police powers to set up vehicle checkpoints to carry out random alcohol and drug tests on the roads.”

Brake asked 1,000 drivers if they would welcome random drug and alcohol testing by the police, as part of the charity’s road safety research programme with the insurer Direct Line. Seven in 10 drivers surveyed said that they would welcome random drug and alcohol testing by the police with only one in 10 disagreeing.

Harris said: “As our research shows, drivers fully support this move and international evidence suggests that random testing can have a positive impact.

“Drink and drug driving are a blight on our roads and drivers need to expect that if they break the law they will be caught and punished.”

Random breath testing is already in place in many other countries – including in Northern Ireland, where it was introduced in 2016 – and it has been found to be highly effective in reducing drink-drive casualties without over-burdening the police and criminal justice system.

However, at present the law in England, Wales and Scotland only permits the police to breathalyse someone, or carry out a roadside drug screening test if they think they’ve been drinking or on drugs, if they have committed a traffic offence, or if they have been involved in a traffic collision.

As well as supporting the introduction of random testing, Brake is advising everyone to be aware of the dangerous impact of drink and drugs on driving this festive season, and to adopt a zero tolerance approach to driving impaired.

Brake also advises that people attending Christmas parties plan ahead for their journey home, speak out if they see someone planning to drive impaired and think about the possible impact of alcohol the morning after a night of drinking.

Harris concluded: “It’s vital that drivers, and passengers, are aware of the dangers of drink and drug driving, especially ahead of the busy festive season.

“Whilst we want people to go out and enjoy themselves, drivers must know that getting behind the wheel after drinking can have potentially devastating consequences. Simply put, if you are drinking, don’t drive, and if you must drive, don’t drink.”

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2019/12/10/randomly-test-drivers-for-drugs-and-alcohol-says-brake

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #99456 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i wish they would.

far too many think a pint or 2 is ok.

#99459 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Mitch I am a non drinker but when I wasn’t I felt the effects of one pint so never drank when driving.

#99469 Reply

mitch
    Participant

its a huge problem in n ireland or at least it was as the cops during the troubles had other priorities.

when ever we ran road blocks the number of problems we had with drunk drivers was rediculous, the odd one even decided to try and drive through and got fired upon.

also saw several road traffic accidents involving fatalities and it was never the drunk driver that died.

ever since then i have stuck to ginger ale when driving, although now i rarely drink anyway due to amount of drugs i take. i have to keep a prescription in the car as the codeine would fail the roadside test kit.

#99470 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Drugs are a whole different problem one of my relatives is a cop and he says cocaine use is at epidemic levels for recreational use………

#99471 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I have often thought random/regular drug tests in work should be brought in on the basis that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

I can hear the human rights lawyers screaming from here lol.

Just as a talking point how many think making all drugs legal would be a good thing, maybe the tax raised from one could pay for the other.

#99607 Reply

SarahN
    Participant

I have often thought random/regular drug tests in work should be brought in on the basis that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

Dangerously Orwellian.

#99619 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

I know that hard drugs and alcohol are a no no but remember we disabled could be tested and our systems show up various prescription drugs that may affect driving without knowing i myself would know i think if i was affected and not drive if not feeling well or fuzzy headed but i have heard that some may be committing offences without knowing the new laws on prescription drug and driving.

#99620 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

There is also the new laws that hanging anything from your mirror in your car is now an offence as is flip flop shoes and woman in high heels may cost you up to a £5000 fine.

#99626 Reply

Winston

You reading this Brydo? You better just wear your high heels in the house from now on! 😉🤣

#99631 Reply

Brydo

SarahN I read Orwell’s 1984 for my English O Grade many years ago. Torture is a term that comes to mind.

Although there is nothing wrong in controlling the masses, that way we wouldn’t be getting a Tory Government tomorrow lol.

Winston, only wear high heels in the house lol

Yours

Caitlyn Jenner

#99633 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

I’m sure many of us will be expert on failing the “field impairment test” without the need for alcohol or drugs.

To enforce any of these checks, first there will be a need for some police, something we don’t see anymore. What we do see is drug deals taking place openly out of car windows, people reversing cars into our cars in residential parking whilst they are clearly stoned or drunk (probably both) & then driving off, and drug dealers pointing guns at you at junctions as they feel that your indicating to turn right is infringing their rights & is in some way a racist act.

#99647 Reply

brydo

Julie where do you stay? It sounds like the wild west. I’d be saving my pennies and getting the first stage coach out of there.

#99663 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Brydo, I live in Surrey, capital of gin slurpers & cocaine snorters & their filthy mouthed dope smoking spawn, I’d leave if I could, I’ve been stuck here since someone dislocated my spine in 1999.

#99664 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Ah, the joys of growing up in Beirut eh!

#99672 Reply

KerryB
    Participant

I’m finding this thread alternately hilarious and horrifying.  From high heels to hit squads!

its a huge problem in n ireland or at least it was as the cops during the troubles had other priorities. when ever we ran road blocks the number of problems we had with drunk drivers was rediculous, the odd one even decided to try and drive through and got fired upon. also saw several road traffic accidents involving fatalities and it was never the drunk driver that died. ever since then i have stuck to ginger ale when driving, although now i rarely drink anyway due to amount of drugs i take. i have to keep a prescription in the car as the codeine would fail the roadside test kit.

They are doing some random testing here these days. I’ve been stopped and breathalysed twice over the last couple of years, both times coming into winter and driving into Belfast from Newcastle direction. I think it’s good that they’re trying, but I’ve witnessed the coppers getting some serious abuse from motorists over it (not me — I fully support the idea).

As to prescription drugs, that would be a little more complicated and expensive to do wouldn’t it? I suppose the driver would need to have been driving badly or appear to be under the influence already to justify a blood test. Or am I missing something obvious?*

*Wouldn’t be surprised! 🙂

#99692 Reply

daveblue
    Participant

Also do not eat a sausage or have it sticking out of your mouth now you could be done for a lewd act and also eating while driving haha.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Randomly test drivers for drugs and alcohol

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: