Puncture 4 wheel drive

• Creator
    Topic
  • #164228 Reply
    Mm5

I have a puncture and replaced it with the space saver tyre, when I get a new one, do I have to get the same brand of tyre or is it a myth?

My back 2 are the same and front 2 are the same, until this puncture on the front left.

Or will any tyre suffice?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164232 Reply
    Richard

Hi,I have a xdrive x1 only 4 months old and recently had a near side rear puncture it was replaced with exactly the same that came off it they said that the xdrive  system is very sensitive to keeping the tyres the same ,what ever that means.

#164233 Reply
    Mm5

Thanks Richard. Got the qwik fit booked in for tomorrow, let them know its a 4wd car anyway so hopefully all is good ­čÖé

#164234 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

As I understand it, you should really have the same tyres on the same axle, in other words the two fronts should be the same and the two rears the same, but front and rears can be different. I think that tread pattern is more important than brand but, as far as I have seen, no two brands seem to have the same tread patterns! You might need to be assertive with Kwik Fit though as they might try to palm you off with something else.

#164245 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

As I understand it, you should really have the same tyres on the same axle, in other words the two fronts should be the same and the two rears the same, but front and rears can be different.

I was under that assumption, but reading into things, that’s not the case.

They need to be similar, but not the same. And by that, i don’t just mean size/rating, but also compound and wear (as in, don’t run an old tyre with a new one). For example, on the front, we have now Sport Contact 5 on the left, and a Potenza.. something something on the right. This is fine, other than screwing a bit with my OCD.

The car doesn’t drive different, nor worse (and i do explore the limits of lateral grip every now and then).

You can’t chose what Kwik Fit is going to give you, but they’d be liable if you’d crash due to mismatched tyres, so they will replace the blown tyre with something that is similar (especially if you get their van out, like we did a few times now, you can’t expect them to have every wheel on the planet in the van).

Of course, there’s always the chance that they’ll just repair the puncture (if isn’t in the sidewall or the “transition” from running surface to sidewall), in which case all this is moot anyway.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Puncture 4 wheel drive
Your information: