Power error please visit workshop

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Menorca Mike 4 days, 22 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #97100 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

This display came up asi switched on the ignition today then goes off as I’m driving just been to my local VW dealer they cannot look at it until December 12th they told me to phone motability if I want a courtesy car till then but my car is running fine so I’m taking the chance it will do until they can look at it ? My car is a Golf 1.5 tsi dsg I’ve switched stop start off as that uses the battery ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #97101 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’m phoned other VW dealer and told the same they cannot look at it until 12th December

#97105 Reply

joss
    Participant

That is a long wait M Mike. Did they say if it was ok to drive the car ?

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#97106 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Mike,

It appears to be a known fault, but there appears not to be a known fix – as usual. In short it is nothing to worry about. If you were in ECO mode, take it out and it probably wont happen again.

This is an interesting read, taken from a VW forum.

Incident 1: 27 July 2019 about 10:40.
    I was on my return journey home from picking up my brand new GOLF 5 DOOR HATCH 1.5 TSI EVO 130PS DSG.
    About 20 mins after leaving dealer (up-hill and down dale), there was drizzle, it was getting overcast and muggy. The wipers were on intermittent, the blower on low and the lights on Auto. It was not dark enough for the headlights to be on. There were about 30 miles on the clock.
    I was climbing as gentle hill and went over the top and started to descend. I took my foot off the accelerator
    The car started to COAST and the rev counter went to zero. My previous car was a Skoda 1.4tsi with DSG and in that car, it would coast but the rev counter would go to 600rpm. Being new to the Golf, I can only assume the engine actually stopped!
    After about 200yds, the drizzle became heavy, the hill went into a dark wood. The headlights came on
    The wipers went to fast wipe and because the screen misted over, I may have moved the control to Demist. The blower went to Full and the aircon may have come on. The screen cleared very quickly.
    Hey Presto: A message “Error: vehicle power system. Please visit workshop” came up”.
    I stopped as soon as I could and turned off the ignition. The message disappeared when engine turned off.
    We called the Dealer and he said “It’s a new car and probably a glitch”.

Incident 2: 31 Jul 2019 about 19:25 with 115 miles on the clock.
    After driving 4 miles from start, it got very dark under trees so I switched the headlights on (3 o’clock position of switch). I was coasting down a slight hill, the car went to COAST. The rev counter went to zero, the engine stopped. After about 100yds, the message “Error: vehicle power system. Please visit workshop” appeared. I stopped but left the engine running so that I could photograph the display. It was the same as one posted earlier.The message disappeared when the engine was turned off.

Visit to the Dealer 1 Aug 2019.
    I gave the service manager a copy of what I had written and also some prints from screen shot of the Trocforum topic that showed it was happening to others. It was like going to the Doctors with a Google diagnosis of a health problem! After about 30 mins, he came back and was complimentary that I had taken the time to describe the fault. The technicians had been able to recover the fault log for both times and it correlated with my description. It was under “ECO COAST MODE” errors. I appeared that in the Eco Coast mode, things were not happening as expected hence the fault. He didn’t have a fix so submitted a “Technical assistance Query” back to VW.

My theory
    I was an engineer before retiring and tried to understand the sequence of events. My theory is as follows (using Incident 1):
    Going up the hill the accelerator position was a “Demand” sent to the EMU (Engine Management Unit). The EMU then set the Fuel input to the injectors for tractive power for gradient along with the DSG gear needed. It also noted the Electrical Power needed for wipers (intermittent), the blower (low) but none needed for the headlight (on Auto). Power was not needed for the Aircon.
    Then, going over the top, with my foot off the accelerator, the need for tractive power went to zero. The electrical need was still low so could come from the battery. When this all went into the EMU, the EMU decided that all the parameters for “ECO COAST” were satisfied. The DSG disengaged both clutches and the fuel was cut to zero, The Engine stopped.
    After about 200yds, there was a massive and quick change to electrical power demand: Wipers full and On, Headlights on, Blower on Full. The battery would have to supply ALL this power. (Also, if the aircon came on then it needed the engine to be rotating).
    The EMU was hit with all these demands at once. It needed to start the engine with even more drain on the battery. The system probably didn’t react and produce enough power quickly enough and flagged up a “vehicle power system” error.

Conclusion:
    With all the “ECO” demands placed on car makers and VW in particular, the Engine Mapping Software could be “too keen” to go into ECO mode. The solution could be to “slug” the fault indicator so it accepted the temporary overload condition until (say) a few seconds to allow the power generation system to be up to full. A simple timer could be set so that if the if temporary overload condition lasted (say) more 5 seconds, then, and only then, would it raise the flag “vehicle power system” error.

#97108 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I will put it in normal mode it’s in eco mode at the moment

#97109 Reply

Dave h

Dont know if it’s the battery your having probs with this will tell you state of charge https://youtu.be/wRLo2-7kLvQ

#97110 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Mike,

I have read more on this and there is a software fix.

It only happens on the 1.5 130 DSG and is related to the coasting function. There is a second battery in your car under the passenger seat, not on other models. This battery assists with the electrics of the car when coasting and if this battery is a little low on charge or under big demand the error message will come on.

Keep safe and it will be fixed on the 12th December and in the meantime don’t worry.

#97120 Reply

JS

It’s funny how they both said the 12th, maybe that’s when the software fix becomes available available.

#97124 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes mines the 130 bhp model with other battery under passenger seat am I best to keep it now in normal mode and switch off the stop start until 12th December ? Thankyou so much for your replies you have put my mind at rest the car is running lovely

#97126 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Just phoned service dept to tell them he says don’t believe everything you read online !!!!

#97128 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

He is absolutely right to say that. I’m not trying to diagnose the exact problem, they will do that once the look at the logs. Just wanted to give you heads up of a known issue unique to the 130 1.5 dsg engine that shows the same error.

I would keep the start/stop off it it was me.

#97129 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes I’ve switched it off and gone from eco mode to normal mode thankyou once again for your help on the 12th December at 8.30am they are giving me courtesy VW automatic for 2 days

#97130 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Mike did you know that because of the extra battery VW refer to the engine in your car as a ‘Micro Hybrid’.

#97131 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I didn’t know that it’s very economical with 2 cylinder mode etc

#99277 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Mike, Are you still booked in for the 12th, is the car running okay?

#99287 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes still booked I for this Thursday car is running fantastic I’ve turned stop start off running perfect

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Power error please visit workshop

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: