Please help me pick a car..

• Creator
    Topic
  • #124155 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Hi

Ive just joined as Ive got really confused about choosing my car.  Please could anyone give me a spot of advice? Bit of background advice so you can  help hopefully.

I live in a tiny village in the country, limited bus service, no shops, nothing here basically, and my old Honda CRV has just been scrapped. I need a car pretty urgently!  As my car was scrapped I have no insurance payout to buy another so Ive decided to use my pip mobility to lease a car.

I need automatic, high driving position, and a larger boot as I have a large dog. Id also prefer leather seats. Id also like 4wd or Awd as roads get treacherous here in winter. I can put a max of £1000 down, but thats really at a push 🙁

So, I need large boot, automatic, suv type, quick waiting time, leather seats if poss, not fussed about make or model but last 3 cars have been honda crv. I prefer Japanese makes but will have anything as Im desperate. Thanks in advance. I know nothing about cars so be kind 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #124158 Reply
    Shaine

Look at the MG HS, sounds like a good fit for you?

#124159 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Loads of suvs for that price on the scheme, use the advanced filter on the schemes website to click suv / auto and the brands you want, then find the right price, from there you can call all the dealers near you and see if they have any stock waiting to be sold, it’ll take a week for the paper work to be completed if the car is in stock

#124160 Reply
    Menorca Mike

The MG HS has had problems with the auto gearbox so owners have said on here

#124163 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Thankyou everyone. Thats a shame about the MG, I quite like that.  Ive been looking at a few cars online, I like the Jeep renegrade but im guessing its going to be heavy on petrol? I also like Suzuki Vitari, Citreon aircross, and nissan something beginning with q. Cant see if awd though. Please keep any suggestions coming, i really am overwhelmed.

#124169 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

if automatic and 4wd are must haves then the cheapest on the search is

mini countryman 1.5 cooper classic all4 £999

if you want leather as well then the mini countryman 1.5 cooper exclusive gets you that too £1499.

others

ateca 2.0 tdi fr £1499

mitsubushi asx 2.0 exceed £1249

vitara sz5 allgrip £1699.

dropping the 4wd does give you a lot more choice.

#124171 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

if you drop the awd then seat have the arona and the ateca that depending on spec have a lot going for them and the ap’s are reasonable at the moment. just how big is the dog lol.

skoda karoq and kamiq are also well specced.

#124174 Reply
    John Newton

If it’s any help my guide dog is a large lab retreiver and he quite liked the HS or it might have been the sales lady lol, either way he fitted fine.

#124179 Reply
    Georgie

The only 4wd Automatic currently available for under £1,000 is the ‘Mini Countryman 1.5 Cooper Classic All4’ – a hatchback at £999 Advance Payment.

It’s listed as a ‘large SUV’.

It’s a petrol car with 134 bhp.

Auto Express list the Average fuel consumption c.48mpg.

Leather seats would cost extra though, assuming they’re available.

#124180 Reply
    Georgie

The “nissan something beginning with q” would the the Nissan Qashqai, of which there are 3 Automatics available for under £1,000, but none are 4 wheel drive.

#124182 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Thanks again everyone. I, ll look into all those.  My dogs a bull mastiff,  so I do need the boot big enough to accomadate him.  Love the sound of the mini countryman but Im pretty sure the boot would be too small, will have a look though.

#124184 Reply
    Georgie

Here’s a link with pictures of the boot size.  Note that it’s with the back seat upright, so there’s even more space with the back seats folded flat.  It’s not a hybrid model, so you’d get the full 250 ltrs.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/countryman/practicality

#124185 Reply
    Georgie

450 ltrs, Not 250!  Stupid fingers. 🙂

#124186 Reply
    Zoe

Mitsubishi asx is a great car I have it and the extras are great and boot is one of the bigger ones. You could also call and speak to motability grants team as this would allow you to maybe look for a car more than £1000 AP as autos tend to be more expensive especially with leather seats. The process is quick and easy so worth looking into. If you need something fast it’s going to have to be a stock car and mitsubishi have cars in the country and 2-3 week delivery time.

#124187 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Thankyou thats very helpful.. Off to google mitsubishi and grants.

#124191 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

There doesnt seem to be any dealerships on a bus route for me 🙁    I wish I could do it all just online. Ive nobody can drive me unfortunately.  Will carry on looking though, thankyou all, what a helpful friendly place 🙂

#124198 Reply
    Menorca Mike

I’ve just read the what car review of the Mitsubishi ASX auto it’s terrible they say 2 stars out of 5 read it online

#124199 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Yep Ive just seen that 🙁

#124200 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

this is the min countryman boot with the extra floor that makes it flat, its an extra.

the standard boot goes down another 8 inches.

#124201 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

the exclusive trim gets you leather the classic etc are cloth.

#124202 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

😁👍 Thanks. I like that.

#124203 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

stratstone mini in chesterfield and elsewhere i think were doing £500 off the ap. at least they were when i got mine in march and they had some in stock but i wanted the light leather and british racing green so had to wait 10 weeks for a factory build.

#124240 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

I love the sound of the light leather seats and racing green, but no way can i wait 10 weeks 😕

#124250 Reply
    file28
    Participant

You might be able to get an Ateca as they are stock orders only but I’m not sure what or how many they have left

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

#124255 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

i think what you need to do is come up with a shortlist and ring around the dealers and see what they have of each one in stock and go from there. if i hadnt wanted a particular colour or trim the local mini dealer had 3 countrymans in stock. likewise with the suzuki and seat dealers.

i would spend an afternoon ringing each dealer and explain your needs and that its motability and ask what they have in stock. some will even move stock around the country for you. so a mini dealer may find you a car in at a dealer in scotland and if you say thats the one move it down to you.

#124261 Reply
    Bebe1
    Participant

Thats a good idea. Im kind of realising i wont get a 4wd for what i can afford apart from the mini, which im a bit concerned is going to be too small really. But its on my shortlist, along with

Citreon c3 aircross

Seat arona

Suzuki vitara

Vauxhall??

Jeep renegrade.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
Reply To: Please help me pick a car..
Your information: