pip

This topic contains 20 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joss 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117854 Reply

paula

just a quick one

when I was on dla I was given it for life then I went for the pip assessment lost my benefit had to appeal got it for 2 years? how does that work.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117865 Reply

joss
    Participant

Hi Paula

Because of the changes made under PIP.

“The primary aim behind replacing DLA with PIP is to save 20% of the budget, as opposed to meeting disabled people’s needs as appropriately as possible. “The new benefit is totally and utterly different”

What hasn’t changed?Both DLA and PIP:• are non-means-tested, non-taxable cash benefits.

• Are benefits you can claim if you’re in or out of work, do voluntary work or are in education or training.

• Are linked to getting other benefits and support – such as Carer’s Allowance and the Blue Badge scheme; and have special rules if you’re terminally ill.What has changed?

• PIP is for people aged 16 to 64. You can only make a new claim for DLA if you’re under 16. • PIP isn’t about diagnosing your disability or health condition. PIP is based on how your condition affects you, not on the condition you have.

• If you make a claim for PIP, you’ll need to be assessed by a health professional. This will usually happen face-to-face.

• PIP is assessed on different criteria to DLA – it has a score-based system that relates to the help you need, with a list of daily living and mobility activities.

• PIP treats all conditions equally and takes into account mental, intellectual, cognitive and sensory impairments.

• The care component of DLA has three rates of payment and the daily living activity in PIP has two.

• Most PIP awards will be fixed term with a review point built in. That review mechanism will apply even if your condition is permanent, but will not apply if you’re terminally ill.

Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment – the main differences  Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs. DLA is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over. You can now only make a new claim for DLA if you’re under 16.

Personal Independence Payment Personal Independence Payment or PIP was introduced in April 2013. PIP helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill health or a disability.

PIP is harder to get than DLA because it places less importance on your diagnosis. It focuses instead on how well you can function on a a day-to-day basis. More than 125,000 people in Northern Ireland will have to be re-assessed to see if they qualify for the new benefit.

Hope that helps

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#117961 Reply

martino

Joss /Paula when i change from DLA to PIP when completing the pip form , i found it hard to change my thinking on filling the form out  as you know DLA it was mostly what was wrong with you , then you had to think can i manage this activity , one of the problems I noticed was trying to explain in words how your disability /illness affect the chosen task. because you just do the best you can with the task ofr someone does it for you or helps you.

Paula I guest your disability is not better, or maybe worse since getting DLA for life, there’s no rhyme nor reason to how they come to their decision like a lot of us it should be exactly the same result as DLA but unfortunately the people filling in the form and making the decision seem to put different information on the assessment for to what we put on and a lot of the time they put completely untrue information  on it.

You can appeal the decision  if you do, you need to tell them why you feel its wrong and if you can , getting medical records/ letters  to back up what you are saying.

it is a stressful time ….

#117990 Reply

joss
    Participant

@martino

You are correct in what you say martino. PIP is a whole different beast to DLA.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#118459 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Paula, how it seems to work is that your award is reassessed after a time and extended.  Mrs W had a letter yesterday saying she had been reassessed and they would look at her again in the future but not before February 2030 but if she’s not happy with that she can appeal.

The whys and wherefores are a mystery.

#118465 Reply

Ade

PIP is indeed based on your current situation and is re – assessed within a timeframe decided by the medical professionals assessing your claim.
    The days are long gone when once you were on the benefit, you were on it for life.

You must remember we are just out of the murderous situation of Cameron, IDS and Osborne who killed thousands with their attack on the disabled, the sick and homeless, they didnt care of you had 3 of your limbs blown off in Afghanistan – you were chucked out on the the street with no help.

Again, I have to mention in Scotland it is very different to what is happening down South. We are setting up our own Social Security System, separate from the DWP debacle. We pay for it with higher taxes.

#118602 Reply

Tharg

“The new benefit is totally and utterly different”, well, I wish I’d held on to the original stuff announcing PIP which had words to the effect that: “We are not changing your benefit or why you get it or the criteria for qualifying, merely changing how you claim it.” I’ll bet all copies of that announcement have strangely disappeared.

The difference in the “max distance you can walk without pain, danger etc.” was changed after the consultation closed with no chance to comment or object to it.

Now, “medical professionals”… I was assessed for DLA by two fully qualified doctors and a physio as part of their responsibilities in full-time employment by the NHS/DWP. Assessment for PIP will be by a physio/SRN working OUTSIDE the NHS/DWP doing a bit of extra work on a temporary contract for a private firm and with a quota of pass/fails to meet.

So, these are the reasons I am meant to be happy about not being on “benefit for life”? Oh joy! I feel so much better now.

#118739 Reply

Tharg

What’s more, I discover in Motability’s newsletter that the organisation has appointed Boris Johnson to be one of its patrons. The dictionary definition of “patron” is: “a person who gives financial or other support to a person, organization, or cause”. Boris’s government continues to push through the thuggish PIP. PIP has already seen Motability lose many thousands of “customers”; it will continue to lose until it becomes unviable and be closed down. Now, how does that fit with giving “financial or other support”? Boris’s patron appointment is the sickest, most offensive and insulting joke I have ever come across!

#118750 Reply

Ade

Yup, The electorate bought into this Tory instigated attack and Tory Press,  that all on benefits were scroungers and they let Cameron and Osborne loose.  The people bought into that. You can see how stupid the electorate really are. One guy gets killed by a cop in the US and they are on the streets in the middle of an epidemic, yet when austerity of the past 8 years was killing thousands of the weakest and most vulnerable in UK society – not a murmur.

The electorate voted the Tories in for the past 12 years and its on them. Labour, well we wont know if they would have done any better.
    Times change, and not always for the better…….especially with the DWP.

#118759 Reply

Tharg

Totally agree, Ade. Don’t think Labour would make any difference. All politicians are, by definition, control freaks and bullies. They want to have the power to tell people what to do and order us about. As I’ve said elsewhere on this Forum, the only one who at least seems genuine and not to tell lies all the time is Sturgeon. That being so, I reckon she’d make the best PM for the whole UK.

The Scottish death rate from Covid is effectively zero. We’re still killing over a thousand a week south of the border. Has the Daily Mail anything to say about the Scots success and the English continuing cost of thousands of deaths? Nope. Just resting on the laurels which stopped us sponging cripp’s driving around in Bugattis and Porsches at taxpayer expense. (And will soon have those offensive cripp’s stuck at home altogether rather than out and about, flouting the fact that they are not “normal” and soiling the nice clean Daily Mail society.)

Rant over… going away now.

#118762 Reply

Georgie

Motability website states:

Chief Patron
    Her Majesty The Queen

Patrons
    The Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP

The Rt Hon Theresa May MP

The Rt Hon David Cameron

The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP

Sir Iain Duncan Smith MP

The Rt Hon Tony Blair

First Austerity, then Brexit, now Covid 19 – Britain’s Debt gets bigger by the day.  With Johnson, Cameron and Duncan Smith all on board I’ll be bloody surprised if DLA, PIP and access to Motability vehicles aren’t all Means Tested within the next 18 months.

#118774 Reply

joss
    Participant

As long as 18 months Georgie!

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#118796 Reply

Tharg

I think we’ll be lucky if Motability still exists in 18 months!

#118825 Reply

Georgie

I fear the Motability Scheme (Business and Charity) is certainly far too ‘profitable’ for the Government to ignore for much longer:

It will be Means Tested

It will offer a drastically reduced choice (base models across the range)

It will only offer cheap vehicles (Hello Dacia and Ssangyong,  Goodbye Audi and BMW)

The Tories have spent the last 10 years demonising us as Fakes and Fraudsters, so we can’t expect any support from the misled masses.  Peaceful Protests (e.g. the Hardest Hit Campaign in 2011) achieve precisely nothing and most disabled people are not in a position to spend 3 nights lob bricks through shop windows and set fire to cars outside Westminster – much as many of us would love to.

#118829 Reply

Tharg

Georgie – so, SO agree. Let’s all thank the Daily Mail for “delivering us from evil”. Ironically, the governments of cripp bashing processes have missed an amazing opportunity. So far, they have only deprived us of mobility assistance. With fewer cars and fewer people able to claim, everyone else, Motability, car makers etc, are losing money. However…

If the “scheme” was changed to allow those of us deprived of enhanced rate DLA/PIP to use their own benefit-free money to lease from Motability then cripps would be paying, government would still save money, Motability and car makers would be make more money. I’d be glad to do this because one of the big attractions of Motability is that it is a one-stop shop. I dread having to negotiate with dealers/insurance/road tax/RAC/tyre people and so on.

I understand that the big objection to this is some tax regulation concerning VAT. So, change the bloody regulation! It’s not as though it’ll need a huge investment or require a vast legislative process. The regulation is a set of data on some documents. Change the data.

#118837 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

An interesting idea, but I think the motor finance industry might raise strong objections to a non-profit charity being allowed to compete with them for leasing funded by personal money.

#118954 Reply

Tharg

Yes, Wigman. Hadn’t thought of that and it’s a valid but sad point. Would argue that this is special case –  given small numbers involved and fact that only those deprived of benefits are included. But suspect most strongly that if it were proposed then large brown paper envelopes, sorry, “consultative incentives” would change hands and we’d get another kicking from our politicians. Can’t have the sponging cripp’s trying to stop further government erosion of disabled wellbeing; the Daily Mail would never allow it.

#118964 Reply

bfoandc

“how does that work”?

Basically, if you have PIP for two years then you’ll get the review documentation some months in advance of the ‘expiry’ date on your award. This consists of a form asking you about any changes that have occurred in how your disabilities affect you. You have 30 days to return the form and also enclose any recent evidence you want to be considered with it. There will then be an assessment of whether a decision can be made or whether another face to face assessment is needed. If an assessment is needed then the process is pretty much the same as your original assessment.

Having just gone through the review process I found it at least as taxing and upsetting as the original transfer from DLA. If you have an assessment just remember to request a copy of the report from the DWP a few days after your assessment and don’t accept what Independent Assessment Services say about waiting for the DWP decision letter. This is just to put people off seeing the report in time to challenge it.

On what will happen with PIP it may become means tested but that may not raise as much money as the whole fiasco has cost. However, I’m pretty sure the tax-free status of it will bite the dust fairly soon. It requires no additional workforce for checking, as means testing does, and the HMRC would be collecting the proceeds. The DWP is, I think, on borrowed time as a separate department and savings could be made by making the DWP part of the Treasury and ‘streamlining’ the benefits and tax systems. Interesting times indeed!

#118968 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

I believe PIP is a benefit created under the Welfare Reform Act 2012. It is not considered income for tax purposes. Any changes to it’s status would require amending legislation and parliament would be extremely unlikely to allow the changes suggested which would rightly be seen as money grabbing by the treasury.

#119065 Reply

joss
    Participant

FACE-TO-FACE ASSESSMENTS STILL SUSPENDED
    The DWP has announced that face-to-face assessments for benefits remain suspended, to protect people from unnecessary risk of coronavirus. But this will be kept under review.

Meanwhile PIP and DLA reviews and reassessments will gradually resume from this month, starting with those claims which were already underway when they were suspended.

The DWP say they will shortly be writing out to some PIP and DLA claimants asking them to complete paperwork to resume their reviews, reassessments and renewals.

If your paperwork has already been returned, you may soon hear from an assessment provider.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#119066 Reply

joss
    Participant

UC CORONAVIRUS SANCTIONS EXEMPTION REMOVED
    The DWP have updated their universal credit guidance to remove the exemption from sanctions for claimants who are affected by coronavirus.

The guidance was changed to remove the wording:

‘You will not get a sanction if you cannot keep to your Claimant Commitment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)’.

There is no explanation of how this will work in practice, but it gives DWP staff more freedom to apply sanctions to disabled claimants who are a greater risk from COVID-19 and have altered their behaviour accordingly.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: pip

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: