Personal details security, passing car back to motability?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Smoo 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85878 Reply
    Smoo
    Participant

I had a phone call earlier from someone who has bought my previous motability car. He wanted to know what I had done with the sd card for the sat nav? It came already installed in the car, so I sent it back in the car, but cleared off all my history etc using the settings on its touchscreen. I just said it had been in the car when it was returned…. didn’t seem very happy!

It threw me a little, I presumed not owning the car they wouldn’t have any of my details and I took anything out if the car that might have them on.

For future ref, do the new buyer automatically get my details?

Also do they remove the sd cards when motability get the cars back before auction?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85996 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

I had a phone call earlier from someone who has bought my previous motability car. He wanted to know what I had done with the sd card for the sat nav? It came already installed in the car, so I sent it back in the car, but cleared off all my history etc using the settings on its touchscreen. I just said it had been in the car when it was returned…. didn’t seem very happy! It threw me a little, I presumed not owning the car they wouldn’t have any of my details and I took anything out if the car that might have them on. For future ref, do the new buyer automatically get my details? Also do they remove the sd cards when motability get the cars back before auction?

Doesn’t a DLVA V5 ‘Certficiate of Registration’ contain details of the Previous Keeper?

If so, you as the keeper (not the owner ie Motability) will be recorded on the new V5 given to the the person who buys the vehicle (particularly so if the vehicle is not registered to the dealer as ‘middleman’).

If your details are available in an ‘online phone book’ or via searching Google etc, then the new keeper can easily find your telephone number.

As for the SD card, I don’t really know, but if it was for a subscription service then the new keeper would have to subscribe to get a new SD card.

Dave

#85999 Reply
    Smoo
    Participant

Thanks Dave,

I’ve always had my own car up until recently, but didn’t remember it being last keeper on the V5, instead if owner, but now it makes sense, thanks . yes I think my landline is still in the ‘phone book’ ( or whatever the internet version now is). I get so many dodgy calls, daily someone telling me my internet is about to be switched off, or the latest that I’m about to get arrested for not paying my tax, it makes me suspicious if every call!

I think the sd was satnav maps,  I just said to call Mazda.

appreciate the info, stops my mind running  away with me and imagining allsorts! And I’ll know for in the future… wonderful.

Thanks again

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Personal details security, passing car back to motability?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: