Ohme survey

• Creator
    Topic
    Vinnie
    Participant

Well that was interesting, have to say, he has worked a route where the cable will not be noticeable and most of it will be hidden. The downside, I suppose, is it will be an extra 15 m, besides the 15 we are allowed! House is quite big, 46 feet back to front but he’s going to take it into the loft and down the outside wall at the back to my park, so it’s just now a case of waiting to see where it comes in at.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JaMur
      Participant

Could you tell me, was this Ohme who said this? Or one of the installers allocated said this?

We are in a very similar situation. Meter/Consumer unit is in the Kitchen. We suggested going straight up to the loft via our cupboard on the landing where our boiler is. Into the loft and straight down into the bedroom cupboard and out the wall, down to where the charger would be. I couldn’t envisage that it would be over the 15m. If so would be 5m extra tops.

The installer who came was so put off wanting to do out route. Wanting to drill extra holes to then trunk it around the kitchen. Was pushy with my partner who is ill and disabled wanting decisions to be made there and then. Kept going on about extra costs for having to work at height and extra time it would take. He just didn’t want to listen, nor could he be really that arsed.

The whole matter is extremely frustrating and this was never told to us when ordering. Motability makes the whole process seem so easy. It feels like we’re taken advantage of because we are with Motability and it’s a like or lump it with having to go through Ohme.

Ele
        Participant

Dont get pushed around by anyone

If the installer is unable to meet your needs then contact Ohme and ask them to send someone else

Any dispute then contact motorbility direct

Vinnie
          Participant

It was the supplier, not ohme, wasn’t pushy at all, listened to us, hubby didn’t like the idea of the cable on the skirting, going along the hall, up the staircase and into the rear bedroom, the consumer unit is in the front entrance hall and has to go to the rear. To get round this he suggested going up into the loft, would be a little trunking in the hall and a bit upstairs at the side of the bedroom door, then through the back wall and down the back wall, it’s a long way, and we thought it was about an extra 13 m extra.

kezo
            Participant

It was the supplier, not ohme, wasn’t pushy at all, listened to us, hubby didn’t like the idea of the cable on the skirting, going along the hall, up the staircase and into the rear bedroom, the consumer unit is in the front entrance hall and has to go to the rear. To get round this he suggested going up into the loft, would be a little trunking in the hall and a bit upstairs at the side of the bedroom door, then through the back wall and down the back wall, it’s a long way, and we thought it was about an extra 13 m extra.

If the installers initial sugestion was to  tack cable along the skirting and up the staircase and round to the back bedroom, he is nothing short of a cowboy and probably an x virgin media installer!

If you have wooden floorboards rather than concrete floor then that is the way to go.

From your meter why not take the cable outside and around the fabric of the building to the rear?

Cable wise 25m max

Vinnie
              Participant

We are mid terrace, so can’t go around and have a solid floating floor with wood flooring, he didn’t want to take that up, we gutted the house in 2010 and insulated it to death, our gas bills are very low, hence a solid floor underneath. I’m maybe painting him badly as his first question was the floor. I said what about the skirting, but hubby said no, so he had to find an alternative, he would have trunked the cable on the skirting, was very professional imo. We mentioned that we’d thought about running the cable when doing the alterations, and his reply was you should have, we would have used it! It’s Motability that stopped that as they said we couldn’t do that! We’re trying to future proof the house.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Vinnie.
                kezo
                Participant

I don’t know who stopped third party ground works or cable laying, as there seems to be mixed responses on here. As long as its to standard it doesn’t really matter, not as it matters as your long past that stage 🙂

If you don’t mind Vinnie, please share the cost of the extra cable + labour when you get it 🙂

Hope you install goes well, any queries let me know and I’ll do my best.

Vinnie
                  Participant

Thanks kezo, will do, fingers crossed it’s not too bad.

Vinnie
                    Participant

Got my estimate today, just over £300 to pay, it’s around where we thought it might be for the extra work, so I’ve paid it and hope it’s not too long before the charger is fitted as my car should be ready for next Monday. The hoist was fitted yesterday and they did a good job of fitting it, had an isolation switch fitted so it can be switched off properly, don’t want it draining the 12v battery.

John Newton
                      Participant

Hi Vinnie I hope all goes well for Monday mine is at the dealer compound so at least I know it’s here.

From April 2024 Toyota BZ4X

Vinnie
                        Participant

Thanks John, I hope all goes well for you too.

kezo
                          Participant

Hope your installs go to plan 🙂

Vinnie
                            Participant

Thanks, me too!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.