OHME giving incorrect information

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Joe.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Joe
    Participant

I had a video survey done by OHME last Wednesday. I phoned them today and they said that because of the distance from my drive to the power box, I would need extension cables installed. The agent on the phone claimed motability offer a grant of up to £350 to cover extra costs for a non standard charger. They then stated in an email that motability should cover the extra cost of the cables.

I contacted motability to be told this is not true as the grant is to cover the cost of the standard charger.

Seems OHME are either misinformed or attempting to mislead me.

I was seriously considering an electric car, but am now thinking of leasing a new Golf instead. Motability claim they want to encourage customers to lease electric cars, and are pricing us out of most reasonable ICE vehicles, but then provide no help if the customer can not have a standard charger.

All the motability agent said was that I would need to make a complaint to OHME and gave me their phone number. But I don’t see the point and feel that it is motability’s responsibility to make sure their contractors give out the correct information.

I have emailed OHME to see if I can find out how much the extra cabling and work will cost, but I am not paying and can not afford a large amount for installation costs.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Motability allow upto 15m of cable to supply the charger.

Ohme are quite good at making mistakes!

MFillingham
        Participant

Motability allow upto 15m of cable to supply the charger. Ohme are quite good at making mistakes!

And understatement of the month goes to….

It really depends on exactly how long the distance really is.  My cable goes around the side of the house with no issue or extra charge.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
          I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

kezo
          Participant

@MFillingham Ive heard there is some rather good mr whippy, genuine “sea” salted caramel icecream down you neck end of the woods!

MFillingham
            Participant

@kezo I’m sure there is.  We have several very good ice cream companies down here (although they’re not Mr Whippy type) plus one or two sea salt companies, including one calling itself Sea Salt despite not actually selling the stuff.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
              I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Joe
              Participant

Motability allow upto 15m of cable to supply the charger. Ohme are quite good at making mistakes!

This was the email OHME sent me.

Result: Non-Standard

Please give brief description of job:
                – Connect to meter understairs, drill out clip cable along wall in trunking, drill out to external wall, clip along top of external wall high level and fit unit to wall or in garage

Please advise what NS works would be involved. Although this should be covered by MO, important we are able to advise the customer of what the works may be:
                – Extra cable, additional labour

kezo
                Participant

This was the email OHME sent me. Result: Non-Standard Please give brief description of job: – Connect to meter understairs, drill out clip cable along wall in trunking, drill out to external wall, clip along top of external wall high level and fit unit to wall or in garage Please advise what NS works would be involved. Although this should be covered by MO, important we are able to advise the customer of what the works may be: – Extra cable, additional labour

How much extra cable are they want to charge for and how much?

@kezo I’m sure there is. We have several very good ice cream companies down here (although they’re not Mr Whippy type) plus one or two sea salt companies, including one calling itself Sea Salt despite not actually selling the stuff.

Didn’t one get whepped out tosea at high tide yesterday?

Joe
                  Participant

How much extra cable are they want to charge for and how much?

I haven’t received a reply to my email yet. I only sent the email this afternoon.

kezo
                    Participant

Put the reply up when you get it!

Brydo
                      Participant

@Joe i would get the cost of any additional work as it may be a small amount and then look at what you are saving. Motability are paying the lions share of every charger install and there is no guarantee that this will last indefinitely. The cost of installation varies but let’s just say £1,000. Assuming we all move over to electric cars eventually, that’s a cost you don’t need to pay.

If you then look at the various charging tariffs available when charging at home you will see the cost of running an electric vehicle is so much lower than running an ICE car.

So if you need to pay a small amount of money to get a home charger installed i think it is worth it and the money you save in the first year will probably cover any additional installation costs.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
                        Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Phaedra
                        Participant

As above, I had to pay £300 for what’s basically say £30 worth of  1.5m of plastic trunking set into the pavement so I can run my charging cable to the car.

However, having done this I got the free charger install (£900-£1000) and my fuel costs are running about 1/9th of what I was paying for petrol.  My last top-ups cost me £6.58, about the price of a gallon of petrol, and for that I got 325 miles!.

And of course I can now run my washer, tumble drier and dishwasher at night for 7p/kWh so even more cost savings.

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

Participant

@Brydo I agree with you, it cost £330 ish extra for me to be able to charge the car at the back of my mid terrace house, but have saved it back easily with what I’ve saved on petrol costs.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

Ioniq
                            Participant

Honestly Joe, you will save a lot of money charging at home. You will recoup the extra cost of the cable in a few months.

Currently, I top up the battery when it gets to 40% up to 90% and it costs £2.40.

Calculate the cost of filling you petrol or diesel tank from under half to nearly full, see what figure you get. I get 250 miles at 90%

Ele
                              Participant

Low miles?

Maybe you coukd use a 10a granny charger cable from an easily fitted outside plug socket?

Talking of charging cables I now have 4 lol

Gifted the 7.5 m when swappted over from Easee to Ohme

Came with car ..Renaults v short and far to thick  to bend cable

Picked up a thinner longer more flexable 2nd hand cable for £20 (love it as so light)

Just brought a used Renault 6.5m 10a granny charger in original Renault case for emergency use off of Ebay if ever its needed

Thats it now

No more lol

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Ele.
                                • This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Ele.
                                Joe
                                Participant

Ohme replied a couple of days ago saying they have passed my email to the accounts department to see if they can give me a rough estimate on price.

However, I have worked out that there is a much shorter route that the cable can take to the drive. I measured this route and the distance is just over 10m. So I assume I can just have a standard installation. The drive is against my house so there would be no pavements to go under or digging needed.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.