Nubuc seats

• Creator
    Topic
  • #169857 Reply
    ajn

Had the Volvo serviced yesterday, courtesy car was 71 T3 xc40, couldn’t really move in the nubuc (spelling) seat, Velcro like feeling, also black interior, windows made it way to dark for me, glad to get my car back, light leather seats, no tints, don’t like those velcro like seats..

They send a video of the service, via email & mms text..

Tyres on 4mm front, 5mm rear, marked down as a advisory, surely more life left in them, only done 6500 miles..

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #169858 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Those tyres are wearing very quickly ajn. Might be worth checking your tyre pressures (which, oddly, they don’t always do during a service) especially as they drop quite a bit in this cold weather. I hadn’t checked mine since new as, like all cars nowadays, it has a tyre pressure warning system, but I had a low tyre pressure warning the other day when it was near freezing and I was surprised to find that the tyres were anything up to 10PSI under inflated 😱

#169860 Reply
    Wigwam

Unlikely, Glos Guy. If the tyres are Continental Eco Contact 6 like on our XC40, they only start life with a little over 6mm tread.

#169863 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Unlikely, Glos Guy. If the tyres are Continental Eco Contact 6 like on our XC40, they only start life with a little over 6mm tread.

Blimey. That’s when you’re glad it’s a lease car. The first tyres changed on our last Tiguan were at 30k miles and my last BMW was similar.

#169873 Reply
    ajn

#169874 Reply
    ajn

Can’t believe they need changing tbh, I don’t drive it excessive, mostly eco mode, been Wales to Scotland return twice..

Its done nothing really…

Tyre pressure been fine Glos Guy (apart from one puncture to the front) like you say, glad it’s a lease, I’d be running it down to legal requirement otherwise..

#169875 Reply
    ajn

#169876 Reply
    ajn

#169877 Reply
    Wigwam

They’re just looking for business. Legal limit is 1.8mm over the middle 3/4 of width.

#169879 Reply
    Wigwam

The rule used to be if the shoulders wore most, the tyre was running under-inflated. If the centre, then it’s running over-inflated.  Some cars will scrub the outside shoulders off the front tyres even though their geometry is correct. My old Alfa cost a fortune in tyres for that reason.

#169880 Reply
    struth
    Participant

They only start with 6.5mm so youve not lost that much % wise. they are a soft compound so grip well in dry warm weather(not so good in wet), and have good roll resistance, but are prone to punctures.

#169881 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Had the Volvo serviced yesterday, courtesy car was 71 T3 xc40, couldn’t really move in the nubuc (spelling) seat, Velcro like feeling, also black interior, windows made it way to dark for me, glad to get my car back, light leather seats, no tints, don’t like those velcro like seats.. They send a video of the service, via email & mms text.. Tyres on 4mm front, 5mm rear, marked down as a advisory, surely more life left in them, only done 6500 miles..

I dont like these seats that you cant move on either.  maybe ok if your fit but with a hip knackered, you get stuck.

#169882 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It was one reason we chose the Inscription over the R-Design.  In a low car you maybe inclined to drop down into the seat but in a tall one there’s more of a need to slide.

#169883 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It was one reason we chose the Inscription over the R-Design.

Yes, leather seats are a must for my wife as she sits on the side of the seat to get in and out and swings around. That’s why we had to pay a small fortune to add them to our last Tiguan, because they are packaged with electric seats with memory which, when we were both driving, was useful. Thankfully, leather was standard in our X1 and as I am the sole driver now electric seats would be a complete waste of money for us. Heated seats remain a must though. I can never understand how cars can have leather seats but no seat heaters, especially in the winter 🥶

#169887 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Have had heated seats in our last four cars but have never used them. First time I tried them it felt like I’d wet myself…  MrsW wouldn’t have a car without, however.

#169888 Reply
    struth
    Participant

It was one reason we chose the Inscription over the R-Design.

Yes, leather seats are a must for my wife as she sits on the side of the seat to get in and out and swings around. That’s why we had to pay a small fortune to add them to our last Tiguan, because they are packaged with electric seats with memory which, when we were both driving, was useful. Thankfully, leather was standard in our X1 and as I am the sole driver now electric seats would be a complete waste of money for us. Heated seats remain a must though. I can never understand how cars can have leather seats but no seat heaters, especially in the winter 🥶

yup thats how i get in too. as its left thats knackered most, drivers seat is one thats easiest, followed by rear driver side, as long as there is room..

i struggle with most taxis, and buses are no chance.

#169889 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

I have alcantara heated sports seats in my current car. They’re terrific on those country lanes when you’re feeling a little cheeky. Wearing jeans means you’ll be glued to them around tight corners!

I don’t like leather seats. Never have.

#169890 Reply
    ajn

Made me realise I need to shuffle into position now, and I seem to fidget more whiles driving, aches and pains I guess, those Velcro seats, well couldn’t move, glad Mrs ajn didn’t have to put up with them..

So I’m safe to run the car for another, 3000 mile I guess

#169891 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Another 6000 by my reckoning.

#169895 Reply
    lab
    Participant

They’re just looking for business. Legal limit is 1.8mm over the middle 3/4 of width.

I expect it’s a typo Wigwam legal limit is not 1.8 mm, just for clarification for others it is 1.6 mm.

#169896 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Made me realise I need to shuffle into position now, and I seem to fidget more whiles driving, aches and pains I guess, those Velcro seats, well couldn’t move, glad Mrs ajn didn’t have to put up with them.. So I’m safe to run the car for another, 3000 mile I guess

if you put fronts onto rear you should get another 9k i’d think.

#169900 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The rule used to be if the shoulders wore most, the tyre was running under-inflated. If the centre, then it’s running over-inflated. Some cars will scrub the outside shoulders off the front tyres even though their geometry is correct. My old Alfa cost a fortune in tyres for that reason.

Our (relatively) modern SEAT Ateca wears on the shoulders as well, correctly inflated (we had a few flats, so checking pressures against the door sticker constantly now, paranoid).

I suspect that has partially to do with spirited driving and maybe slightly folding them over (no idea), point was that it’s not just older cars that do this.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#169907 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

if you put fronts onto rear you should get another 9k i’d think.

We all used to swap tyres around years ago, but it’s not recommended nowadays. Besides, no need to penny pinch with a lease car!

#169922 Reply
    ajn

Just seems such a waste, however guess they would be sold as part worn tyres elsewhere..

Ill be leaving it for now recheck about 4 months..

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Nubuc seats
Your information: