Not fit for purpose

• Creator
    Topic
  • #159915 Reply
    Jony

This is getting ridiculous, 40 Vw cars have now  been taken of the scheme, their are now only two high AP hybrid Golfs & over 190 cars have been removed from the scheme since the beginning of June. But VW are taking orders & giving build times to private customers.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #159919 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

I am unsure how that makes the Scheme unfit for purpose. There are two parties in this, Volkswagen and Motability, Volkswagen offer a list of vehicles they are prepared to sell and Motability a list of vehicles they are prepared to buy. The relationship with a private buyer is different by definition.

#159934 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

VW are selling to private buyers in preference to fleet orders, because they can’t produce enough cars for everyone. That’s a good commercial decision for various reasons around customer loyalty and profit (or mitigating the losses all manufacturers are making currently).

It’s what it is. What would you have Motability do about it, Jony?

#159936 Reply
    Please park between the lines

Perhaps motability with huge surplus cash built up over time could use it to cushion the effects of the pandemic / chip shortage and support disabled customers when times are difficult as these same customers have supported these huge surpluses to built up so surely the surpluses are there to even out the shocks in the system at to provide continuity and if private buyers can buy them why can’t disabled people who are choosing a particular vehicle because it can transport them and wheelchair why is it us that ate first in line to be hit buy rising AP’s and reduction in choice while motability sit on huge surpluses I do hope motability management are not caught out having expensive jollies paid for by disabled people now that would look in bad in anyone’s eyes

#159937 Reply
    Richardw

It’s not just VW either. Many manufacturers are operating on similar lines.

#159938 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Easy to complain “Motability must do something” but what?  It’s a worldwide problem. See this from a US investor perspective:

Four Reasons the Auto Industry Is in Big Trouble https://stansberryinvestor.com/article/359292/four-reasons-the-auto-industry-is-in-big-trouble

#159951 Reply
    joss

Easy to complain “Motability must do something” but what? It’s a worldwide problem. See this from a US investor perspective: Four Reasons the Auto Industry Is in Big Trouble https://stansberryinvestor.com/article/359292/four-reasons-the-auto-industry-is-in-big-trouble

Interesting read @Wigwam

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159954 Reply

If you can buy the car as a retail customer Lets say a Tiguan but you can no longer order it as a Motability customer then I see your point it must be those pesky disabled semiconductors lets it such a shame they aren’t compatible thats why you can buy a retail Tiguan as they have non disabled semiconductors and can only be sold to non Motability customers it all makes sense now

#159955 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

We all know there are long waiting times for cars, this is not a problem for me this time around as current car is still serving me well but what’s annoying is VW taking the cars off Motability and not even letting us get on the waiting ladder.

The annoying thing about VW is there CEO was telling customers two months ago that thing will not improve at VW until were into 2022 then a month later he said things should improve during Q4 of 2021.

It don’t take much to read between the lines in how he’s going to improve thing this year does it.

That said you can’t say Motability are not fit for purpose and yes it is a pain in the butt but I’m sure there doing their best even if VW aren’t, well not with disabled costumers there not.

#159956 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Pleaseparkbetweenthelines, I for one find it difficult to understand what you would like Motability to do about the current worldwide shortage of cars.  When you’ve worked it out, perhaps you could suggest it to Motability.

#159958 Reply

Wigwam just for you I will explain that you can still order a Tiguan as a retail customer but you can’t as a motability customer

Now let’s rack our brains and think how can that be?

Are they forcing motability customers to take on Ev’s as unbelievablely they  seem to have escaped the semiconductor shortage.

Is because they make more profit from a retail customer

Now I do wonder maybe you could help me here Wigwam

Picture the scenario person 1 goes into vw and says can I have a tiguan and vw say yes you can its this much and it will take this long to get it to you

Person 2 has all ready got a tiguan on motabilty and it suits them perfectly in fact thats why they got one in the first place

They have been saving up for the next one but could not order one as they were not in the three month window to order despite it being widely known that cars take six months and upwards

Person 2 goes into Vw and asks to order a Tiguan and the answer is I am afraid you can no longer order on motability because we have removed them from the scheme

When did the happen?

Oh yesterday

But you buy one as a retail customer

Now Wigwam how do you think motability could help here?

#159959 Reply

That right Wigwam motability could pay a bit more to Vw for the car

Vw are happy the motability customer get the car they have been saving for

Motability extend the lease on the current car until vw deliver the new one

Motability lose out both ends but then they have millions in the bank and there for absorb the cost

They of course keep quit about this and just get on with the job in hand

Or thats right wigwam they could seel the perfectly suited tiguan because they can’t order another one at reasonable cost

Well done wigwam

#159960 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Pleaseparkbetweenthelines, I understand your frustration but the simple fact is if a car manufacturer doesn’t offer cars to the Motability scheme, the Motability scheme can’t offer them to you.  VW have decided in the present circumstances that you as a Motability customer are not ‘special’ enough. That is their decision to make.  There are other cars on the scheme.

#159961 Reply
    Tim

Main issue seems to be the belief that as Motability customers we have access parity with private buyers to the same vehicles.

Sad reality is that even when the same vehicles are available on and off the scheme preferences do take place at dealerships day in day out.

I agree that Motability could work with the Government to ensure Motability is not just bundled in with other fleet purchases when decisions are made by manufacturers, recognise what the scheme does underneath the numbers, that’s positive for any brand.

#159962 Reply

We are special Wigwam just some of us are more special then others for lots of different reasons 😉

#159965 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I think Motability should look to entice other manufacturers onto the scheme and also drop the stupid caps that are in place to bring in other models that may be readily available. It’s surprising just how many cars out there are still available from stock. I know this as I’m in the process of sourcing a new company vehicle.

#159972 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

As long as you accept motability for what it is you won’t be disappointed. There are many many customers who are absolutely delighted with the scheme and won’t hear a word said against it and rightly so as it enables them to have a brand new car every three years, something many would not be able to do.

There are many others who could afford to purchase a car outside of the scheme so on occasions feel let down by what is on offer.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#159990 Reply
    Jony

There are actually three parties in this situation, and the third is the customer, I have contacted Motability & asked if it is possible to give a heads up when almost 38 vehicles are token of the scheme overnight, & the only way anyone finds out is by a decent dealer telling a Motability customer, to drive a hundred miles for a test drive & then to be told the vehicle you’ve researched for weeks is no longer available isn’t good for customer  relations or professional, & I believe it was Motabilitys decision to take the cars off the scheme, to get a decent car the AP’s have become very expensive add a 10k in benefits & any extras with no reimbursement at the end of the lease, I just think Motability could have a more dynamic  relationship with car makers, & insurance partners to give a wider choice of vehicles for the large & varied customers Motability serves.

#159993 Reply
    Jony

Wigwam I would use my clout as the biggest leasing company in the uk to secure better deals & service for my customers, & the billions Motability have accumulated in profits I would lower AP’s & increase choice, stop worrying about the Daily Mail & understand that being disabled doesn’t stop you enjoying yourself in a sporty well spect car

#159995 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Much of issue as I see it is companies want to increase their mileage footprint so are pushing evs to sell instead of petrols to fleets. Also leaving the ice cars to sell for their dealershops which im betting they have agreements as to supply

#159996 Reply
    joss

In that case, put me down for a Hi spec sporty BMW ta

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#159997 Reply
    Jony

There are actually three parties in this situation, and the third is the customer, I have contacted Motability & asked if it is possible to give a heads up when almost 38 vehicles are token of the scheme overnight, & the only way anyone finds out is by a decent dealer telling a Motability customer, to drive a hundred miles for a test drive & then to be told the vehicle you’ve researched for weeks is no longer available isn’t good for customer  relations or professional, & I believe it was Motabilitys decision to take the cars off the scheme, to get a decent car the AP’s have become very expensive add a 10k in benefits & any extras with no reimbursement at the end of the lease, I just think Motability could have a more dynamic  relationship with car makers, & insurance partners to give a wider choice of vehicles for the large & varied customers Motability serves.

#159998 Reply
    Jony

Well said

#159999 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Motability may be the biggest leasing company in the UK (I don’t know) but in the scheme of things with international manufacturers only able to produce half the cars worldwide  they would like to, I think the clout Motability in the UK may have is rather meaningless just now, Jony.  They can’t force car makers to supply cars they don’t have.  Motability is in reality a small part of a small market.

#160000 Reply
    struth
    Participant

you also have brexit, which will be a factor

#160036 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Having just handed back a Tiguan that I was pleased to see the back of I am no great VW fan, and I feel desperately sorry for those who had their heart set on one and can no longer order one. However, I’m going to dare to offer a few words of support to VW.

These are unprecedented times. The semiconductor chip shortage is affecting most car manufacturers but many aren’t being upfront about it. Just look at the number of people on this forum whose delivery date (for many different manufacturers) has been pushed back and back. Some dealers will still accept orders implying 3 month delivery when it’s more likely going to be 6 months plus.

VW are usually one of the most supportive manufacturers in so far as the Motability scheme is concerned, always offering a wide range of cars from across most of their model range, including top spec versions, high powered engines and 4WD. Many other manufacturers don’t. Some manufacturers don’t appear on the scheme at all and others always seem very half hearted. Just a couple of examples would be Audi and Mercedes. We were looking for an SUV on Motability recently and would have considered the Q3 or GLA but dismissed them both as those manufacturers only have the relatively low powered entry level engines on Motability that most private buyers would discount.

Fingers crossed that the VW models will return in Q4, but I fear that VW are going to end up being the first of a few manufacturers who may go down this route of removing cars from fleet customers, including Motability. In other words, it’s likely to get worse before it gets better.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Not fit for purpose
Your information: