New tyres already!!!!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #140465 Reply
    file28
    Participant

Just been to get a slow puncture repair done and found both rears at 3mm and fronts at 4mm

So now booked in for 2 rears to be fitted this Saturday 20th

Car fitted with Bridgestone and covered 8400 miles

Thought they would have been better wearing than this

Suppose it could be down to the weight of the car

First time I’ve had Bridgestone on a car and not impressed with the wear rate

Our 3 series had pirelli and managed 21000 out of those

Continental was also a good wearing tyre (vx insignia)

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)
    Seat Ateca FR Black Edition 2.0tsi 190 dsg 4drive Nevada White

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140466 Reply
    Martinod

8000 miles is really bad , I think if you had to pay for the tyres out of our own pocket I would not be happy

#140469 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I thought that KwikFit / Motability would not renew tyres until there down to 2mm?

#140472 Reply
    file28
    Participant

8000 miles is really bad , I think if you had to pay for the tyres out of our own pocket I would not be happy

I thought that KwikFit / Motability would not renew tyres until there down to 2mm?

Yes not happy with the wear rate, and kwik fit took photos of the tyres for motability etc

And to make matters worse the coffee machine is out of bounds due to covid restrictions

"the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams-its heaven and hell "(RJD)

#140474 Reply
    72 dudes

Perhaps they think he’s a retail customer! Once they try and get an authorisation code for the new tyres things might be different.

On the other hand, there might be a depot manager there with more empathy

#140476 Reply
    file28
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Perhaps they think he’s a retail customer! Once they try and get an authorisation code for the new tyres things might be different. On the other hand, there might be a depot manager there with more empathy

</p>
    They were fully aware that the car is a motability car as I always inform them first as soon as I speak to them

#140483 Reply
    72 dudes

Excellent. Call me cynical, probably years of driving leased company cars.

#140487 Reply
    John Morris

I have never had any issues changing tyres when I don’t feel they grip well enough. Motability have always authorised it and obviously kwik fit are happy to do it. The only issue I have is the actual tyres they used. £108 each for our old qashqai but wet rated D. The £112 ones were wet rated B but I was told motability insist on the poorer set.

#140504 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I have never had any issues changing tyres when

Hi John

I never had any problems with my first two Motability cars with the front drive wheels tyres needing replacing at 30 months / 14,000 miles but my third car was a different story in being told there not worn enough give it another 500 miles then near on a thousand miles later being told to give it another week.

Thought that Motability were clamping down on renewing tyres, that, or Kwik-Fit had so much business they could get by without dealing with we disabled folk.

Current car with the lockdown and just another 8 months to change over I might just get by without changing any tyres so can’t gauge what Kwik-Fit are like now but going to KF is a chore for me at the best of times without being turned away and having to return and return again.

#140506 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I have never had any issues changing tyres when

Hi John I never had any problems with my first two Motability cars with the front drive wheels tyres needing replacing at 30 months / 14,000 miles but my third car was a different story in being told there not worn enough give it another 500 miles then near on a thousand miles later being told to give it another week. Thought that Motability were clamping down on renewing tyres, that, or Kwik-Fit had so much business they could get by without dealing with we disabled folk. Current car with the lockdown and just another 8 months to change over I might just get by without changing any tyres so can’t gauge what Kwik-Fit are like now but going to KF is a chore for me at the best of times without being turned away and having to return and return again.

I had similar issues a few years ago, kept being told another 500 miles when I knew they needed changing.  Ended up going to the local police station and asking for their opinion, and they gave me a polite note to say that they would consider doing me if I didn’t change the tyres!

Phoned Motability and then went down to Kwikfit who surprisingly agreed they needed changing!

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury

#140510 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Had so many issues with Krap Fit with tyres not being down to the 2mm limit and getting sent away in snow and ice that I won’t go to them any more, just bought my own set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 3 proper All Season tyres and had them fitted elsewhere as my rears were down to 3mm and fronts to 2.5mm and the car couldn’t get out of my street in the bad weather, it has cost me £500 but at least I can use the car again and in any weather.

#140513 Reply
    file28
    Participant

I don’t have any problem with kwik fit as they have always treated us OK but its just the tyres I’m not happy about, it’s the wear rate (8400) that I’m moaning about

As its always been a like for like tyre exchange so its going to be Bridgestone again

I guess they are allowing the change of tyre due to it also needing a puncture repair

#140514 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

Just change front tyres today as they were at 2.5mm on the mot on Tuesday. The car is coming up to 3 years old and has only covered 10.5k so was quite shocked at the wear rate. The rears are at 4mm. The tyres are conti’s.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#140525 Reply
    file28
    Participant

Just change front tyres today as they were at 2.5mm on the mot on Tuesday. The car is coming up to 3 years old and has only covered 10.5k so was quite shocked at the wear rate. The rears are at 4mm. The tyres are conti’s.

Unusual for conti’s always found those hard wearing

#140526 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

They said the wear was all over the place on both front tyres so it looks like its had some rather poor tracking.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#140528 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Recently had the two front tyres changed for the first time on our 4WD Tiguan at 28k miles. The two rear ones still have plenty of tread. I have had up to 40k out of tyres but the worst was 10k. Would never use KwikFit through choice but no option with Motability.

#140530 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

On my last golf the tyres needed replacing quicker than on any other car i have had, although it was the 1st with adaptive cruise, which i used alot and the car often braked alot more than i would of done often slamming them on and add that to the traction control and all the safety stuff on the car, even the brakes needed changing in the 3 years i had it and that has never happened before. So might be part of it but to wearout so quickly 8k is possible imo. Guess it’s putting alot of power down if you got the 190 version.

#140531 Reply
    file28
    Participant

On my last golf the tyres needed replacing quicker than on any other car i have had, although it was the 1st with adaptive cruise, which i used alot and the car often braked alot more than i would of done often slamming them on and add that to the traction control and all the safety stuff on the car, even the brakes needed changing in the 3 years i had it and that has never happened before. So might be part of it but to wearout so quickly 8k is possible imo. Guess it’s putting alot of power down if you got the 190 version.

It is an auto with 4drive and 190 bhp so it could be putting the power through the rears a little more than usual and a lot of the miles are on some good winding north Wales roads

We’ll have to see what the next ones manage

#140532 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It is an auto with 4drive and 190 bhp so it could be putting the power through the rears a little more than usual and a lot of the miles are on some good winding north Wales roads We’ll have to see what the next ones manage

The Tiguan that I mentioned (that I have only had to change two tyres at 28k) is both 4WD and 190PS. Driving is a mix of motorway (at 80mph) and rural A roads.

#140533 Reply
    kbfern

Our Tiguan is coming up 3yrs old and at 14k miles (not done much mileage last 12 months due to Covid). Tyres are in very good nic with well over 3-4mm on front and 4mm+ on rear. Tyres are Hankook and I am not a driver who tears off from the lights😁

#140544 Reply
    John Morris

I am surprised at some of the comments here. Do another 500 miles and come back and we’ll look again? I would not be happy. I told motobility that the brand new tyres put on our qashqai Feb 2020 were not grippy enough where we live and I was not happy and they said see how it goes… 6 weeks later in march I aquaplaned on the motorway at 60mph (with police right behind me!) and wrote the car off causing 16k of damage. Police obviously a witness and no blame on me at all. In my opinion (and I told motability this) that if they had listened to me about the new tyres being so poorly wet rated then I probably wouldn’t have had the accident.

#140548 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Blimey John. That sounds terrifying. I hope that you were OK? With private cars I always buy good quality high rated tyres but with Motability you are restricted to what they allow. My late father always tried to penny pinch with tyres until I explained to him that they are the only things that bring your car into contact with the road and they are the last thing that you should attempt to economise on.

#140549 Reply
    MickC

The tyre’s, was the wear even across the whole tread,or worn in the centre,or worn on the edges.

Incorrect tyre pressure will give you centre and edge wear.

Centre wear is when the tyre is over inflated and edge wear (both sides) is under inflation.

Tyre worn on one side (inner or outer edge) will be caused by tracking/alignment.

#140553 Reply
    Paul D

A few years ago I had a Astra 2.0 CDTI 165bhp. The tyres needed replaced with just over 7000 miles .

#140644 Reply
    Unclebob
    Participant

From past experience KwikFit are kept on a tight lead with Motability and can’t  replace tyres too early , they get spot checks at depots by Motability to check tyres not replaced with more tread than the agreed 2mm.

We has a VW transporter a few years back with around  2.6mm tread left ,KwikFit twice said come back when on 2mm, manager took me to one side and said book tyres on the mobile site when they come to you home..tyre depth don’t get checked on mobile service !

I’ve always liked tyres fitted at home both on our Motability van and my personal vehicle  all done at home ..it’s just more convenient as a carer 👍🏻👍🏻

#140649 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

From past experience KwikFit are kept on a tight lead with Motability and can’t replace tyres too early , they get spot checks at depots by Motability to check tyres not replaced with more tread than the agreed 2mm. We has a VW transporter a few years back with around 2.6mm tread left ,KwikFit twice said come back when on 2mm, manager took me to one side and said book tyres on the mobile site when they come to you home..tyre depth don’t get checked on mobile service ! I’ve always liked tyres fitted at home both on our Motability van and my personal vehicle all done at home ..it’s just more convenient as a carer 👍🏻👍🏻

We have had very similar experience, recently we had a mobile fitter come out and fit 2 new tyre and a tyre to my spare wheel, all fitted and balance on my drive, really impressed.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: New tyres already!!!!
Your information: