New MINI Electric revealed with 124 miles of range

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  solent60 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #82314 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

New MINI Electric hatchback revealed with a pure EV range of 124 miles with prices starting from £24,400 and deliveries starting next year
    This is the MINI Electric. A full EV version of the three-door hatch complete with a 124-mile range, three trim levels and a starting price of £24,400. It’s on sale now with deliveries beginning in March 2020.

MINI says the Electric’s arrival is as groundbreaking as the car that heralded the brand’s reinvention in 2001. It also comes in the middle of BMW’s 60th anniversary of the original 1959 Mini, and nine years on from the British brand’s first attempt at an all-electric model. It was called the MINI E, 600 prototypes were built worldwide with selected drivers taking part in feasibility trials, but the cars were never sold to the public.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/100275/new-mini-electric-revealed-with-124-miles-of-range

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82334 Reply

mitch
    Participant

not a huge range for a small car.

#82392 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Article

Launched today (July 9), the New Mini Electric is being offered for less than the price of its petrol equivalent. A move which will make it highly desirable to fleet decision-makers.

With prices for the New Mini Electric starting at £24,400 (including Plug-in Car grant), the new model “could be the tipping point for wider adoption of electric vehicles in the UK marketplace”, according to Mini UK director David George.

He told Fleet News that “we are assessing levels of interest and are already in conversation with some customers. With the changes to BIK, and range and price of the Mini Electric, it’s going to be really appealing to company car drivers and will drive interest from a corporate perspective and is helping inform our mix planning.”

Promising a maximum range of 144 miles (WLTP) the Mini Electric battery pack has 12 modules of lithium-ion cells providing a battery capacity of 32.6 kWh.

The motor is the latest version of the BMW Group’s synchronous electric motor, offering a maximum output of 187ps and maximum torque of 270 Nm. The result is a 0-62mph time of 7.3 seconds and a top speed limited to 93mph.

The Mini Electric is designed to accept both AC and DC charging using Type 2 and CCS Combo 2 plugs. The car can achieve 80% charge in 35 minutes at a 50kW DC fast-charging station.

Production will begin at Mini’s Oxford production plant later in the year. However, order books opened on the day of the launch and the new car has already attracted 20,000 expressions of interest.

The electric model will be produced alongside its petrol and diesel engine derivatives.

According to Oliver Zipse, BMW AG board member for production, the BMW group’s production of EVs will increase by 30% year-on-year between 2021 and 2025; with 25 electric models in its line-up by 2021.

#82395 Reply

Philjb

Wow only 144 miles?

#82396 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Phil cars with this range are being heavily pitched towards wealthy city dwellers, as a second car. I do however believe this range Is doable for most people. Maybe once a year would I need more mileage than that supplied.

#82397 Reply

solent60
    Participant

One day I will take a serious look at electric cars. I guess we won’t have much choice seeing as EV/Hybrid cars will be the only options available in the future. I’ll give it 10-15 years yet though. Hopefully the infrastructure will be in place by then to cope with the ever-growing demand for such vehicles.

#82398 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I’m not sure what you mean by 10-15 years Solent. In five years bevs will have range in excess of 500-600 miles probably more. Charging, if you have a home charger, will be a doddle most of the time and at least 50% of U.K. car owners park off the road. Even if you can’t charge at home on street parking will become more available, especially in the cities.

10 years in the ev and AI (artificial intelligence) world is equivalent to 100 years of the internal combustion engine. I firmly believe in ten years time autonomous cars will be an on the road thing. We are moving towards it with every new model that comes out.

#82399 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

What we need to remember is Tesla and all the new ev start ups are tech companies who make cars. The car is just a convenient way of showing what tech can do. Most of the billions£ Spent is spent on tech, batteries and battery innovation with battery and battery tech being the most important portion of the spend as it has so many other benefits to society in the near future.

#82400 Reply

Philjb

No good for me. It would also drive me potty worrying about range running out leaving me stranded.

But yes we will eventually all have to get used to worrying about range. lol

#82402 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

No phil we won’t as I said above the range will be huge in a few years time.

#82403 Reply

Philjb

I added 20 miles in my excitement. ?

122 miles crikey.

Agreed bri soon we will all be driving Tesla or dyson powered bmw’s and mercs.

I like the low o-60 times but I’m sure soon the fun police will  bring in laws to raise that,  plus we’ll all have ice cream van music to warn pedestrians were coming. ?

#82404 Reply

Philjb

In a few years I probably won’t be driving. I’ll be counting all the pip money I’m saving.

While waiting for the bus to come…

#82405 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Phil you will be waiting on your autonomous motability car that will be waiting for your call.

#82406 Reply

Philjb

Bri my bus pass is much cheaper and better for the environment.

Plus we all know what a rip off the scheme is. ??

honestly I think I’ll move to China and keep driving my auto diesel. ??

#82411 Reply

SaintsMan

Good to see that BMW/Mini have decided to make it cheaper than than the ic equivalent.

Although I agree that range will increase dramatically over the next 5 years, I still think it will be  longer before everything calms down and every manufacturer sit down and agree a set standard for charging etc.

Like you Brydo I wouldn’t need much range on a daily basis, so as a runaround this would be great but I would need something else for the Scotland/European trips.

#82422 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Saintsman the charging situation, away from your home, is a disgrace and government need to step in and make ALL chargers freely available to ALL EV owners.

#82425 Reply

SaintsMan

The government could spend millions/billions fitting charging stations but how many would be obsolete in 5 years? Tesla are soon to upgrade to 200kw chargers, Porsche and BMW have 450kw in the pipeline, 5 years from now it could be 1000+kw.

Like you I want something done now, but as I said on another thread, I bought a betamax VCR, I don’t want a betamax car.

#82426 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Saintsman

Better Betamax than Phillips Video 2000, which in a few years time is what the Hybrid car will be compared to.

124 mile range in an electric car a comparable to a Kia Picanto in the ICE engine world. The Electric car market is fragmenting, smaller range (cheaper) cars for those that need them and larger range bigger cars for those that can afford/need those.

#82427 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

It will be interesting to see what Dyson comes up with. He does have history in making good batteries and getting a lot out of them.

#82430 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Wmc it will be very interesting what he comes up with with regards to the car and the battery. It is almost certain to be a high end car he manufactures, so we won’t be driving one anytime soon. His battery tech will be interesting as he had been talking about using solid state batteries, which, if true, would be, yet again, a game changer.

#82431 Reply

POPS

Dyson will produce a “cleaner” car. It will probably be called the Dyson V12.

#82432 Reply

Tomas (Tomas)

My Dyson lasted 12 months before the battery packed up.

#82526 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

Looks like 211 litres of boot space (50 less than i3) so will be small enough to not to incur the motability EV boot tax.?

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#82532 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

My mate’s bike with panniers has 2 litres more space than that, what kind of disability equipment can you get in the boot? A phone to call a taxi to take your gear and meet you wherever you’re going?

#82599 Reply

jordanc93
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what Dyson comes up with. He does have history in making good batteries and getting a lot out of them.

it will come down to how much he charges for the car and whether the design and tech are game changing enough to justify whatever price he puts on it. He has a history of making products that cost a fortune and end up failing to take off like his original robot cleaner which cost around £3000-£4000 and was cancelled with months of launching due to lack of demand. He was also meant to be the game changer in the washing machine market with his Dyson washing machine that had two counter-rotating drums, the problem was the machine cost over £1000 and barely anyone was willing to pay that much for it.

#82684 Reply

solent60
    Participant

First thoughts on the electric Mini from AutoExpress…

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/mini/107441/new-mini-electric-2019-review

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: New MINI Electric revealed with 124 miles of range

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: