New Apple Carplay

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar POPS 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #87200 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Warning – Apple intensive speak. Sorry Android users.

In the interest of research I joined the Apple Beta Programme a while ago where you get early release of the new operating systems. Anyone can do it: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

So the new ios13 was announced and I decided to give it a whirl, my teenage daughter is always impressed, she thinks I’m a spy (or more likely a sad middle aged man)

I dowloaded the new software and wowed her with my new personalised emoji, feeling like a cool dad.

It was only when I popped the phone into the car did the new Apple carplay launch. So exciting. The first thing I noticed was all the album covers now show in my music and in Spotify, something which they did not previously (this was probably only my issue) and then after a little play it seems this is more than a software update, it’s a complete redesign and build, new links to the calendar is a nice touch.

The most impressive thing is the new screen that (when using the much improved apple maps) will show a split screen with turn by turn instructions and display the map and the music playing so you can change the song without having to go back to the main screen.

Photo (not mine):

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #87201 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

And you only have to pay a few hundred pounds to BMW to use this fantastic new product that you already own if you get one of their new cars!

#87206 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

And you only have to pay a few hundred pounds to BMW to use this fantastic new product that you already own if you get one of their new cars!

Whilst the more ‘Prestige’ manufacturers like Suzuki, MG etc throw it in for free!

BMW – Crazy!

#87216 Reply
    SaintsMan

Not only do you have to pay for carplay you can’t have Android auto.

Another BMW option on the higher series cars is the ability to use your phone as a key.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>However</p>
    This option only works with Android. I guess if you can afford  £80,000+ you can afford two phones.

#87218 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

That’s mental, pay a grand+ for an iphone to use in your car and almost another grand for your android blower so you can get in the car to use the “free” apple car play.

Way to go BMW, put your best foot forward and then blow it off with a shotgun!

#87219 Reply
    POPS

Anyone else going to watch the iPhone 11 launch later? It’s streaming on YouTube.

#87224 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I’d rather have herpes.

#87226 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Pops,

Even my 15 year old is not after a new phone any more, much to my surprise. The new phone market is shrinking and when the youff are not bothering it’s gonna struggle to recover. My old iPhone SE that cost about £300 or less about 3/4 years ago can upgrade to the latest ios13 and do all I need – I don’t really need an extra camera, face recognition or a smaller notch! OMG, I have officially become old.

Will catch the highlights tomorrow.

#87229 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@vinalspin. Do you mean gonorrhea as I believe you can only get herpes once.

#87233 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

I’d take any debilitating, embarrassing disease rather than watch that.

#87255 Reply
    ZZleeZZ
    Participant

Don’t feel too bad about us poor old android users. We got our update for Android Auto a few weeks ago. It’s amazing and I use it all the time. Sounds a very similar set of tools to the Apple version with audio controls still available when you are on google maps nav screen. I use it so much that BMW not supporting it is a complete deal-breaker for me.

#87257 Reply
    POPS

My eyesight is not what it was as I am developing cataracts. These are easily operable but I have to wait until they reach a certain level before they will carry out the procedure.

I have an iPhone 7 plus which is a great phone, but I need a clearer brighter screen now. I’m tempted by the 11 pro max because of the size of the screen and the clarity of display, it will allow me to move away from my desktop much more which will allow me to reduce pain levels in my spine and joints. With a large family including a number of grandchildren the ability to take pinpoint clear photos and videos on a standard auto setting, and then clearly watch them back while prone on my bed would be excellent. I used to carry a quality camera with me everywhere when I was more mobile, but I’ve not been able to do that for some time.

There might be cheaper alternatives on the Android side of the market, but I’m used to many years of IOS and I would really struggle with a new system. I’ll read the initial hands on reviews and think about it until the weekend.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: New Apple Carplay

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: