Motability Scooters.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisK 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #86636 Reply

JS

An Aunty has just been on the phone, she comes to the end of her lease soon on her big scooter. She likes the scooter and I’m not sure how it works so looking for some advice.

can she extend like we do cars ?

If so are the payments lowered or the same ?

im not sure which model she has or wether it’s still available

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #86644 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

In 2006 my wife brought me a second hand Shoprider Cadiz 8 mph mobility scooter for £500, it had only been used a couple of times by an old guy, it had some of the protective film in areas.

It has been all around the tracks in the New Forest pulling a trailer with my little dogs in, I am on my 3 set of batteries, it reliable and comfortable.

Is it possible for your auntie to buy it from motablity or like us purchase a nearly new  scooter and keep the money in her purse.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#86648 Reply

JS

Thanks

I’m not sure I really have never looked into the scooters available and rules on Motability. I assume she can purchase from them or the dealer when it goes back but I really am just assuming. She’s  had one for as long as I can remember so don’t know why she hasnt come across it before, but she says this one is the best one she ever had so maybe it’s the first time she has coincided the options.

#86657 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Some of the good quality scores like the Drive, Shoprider, Pride etc are extremely reliable, just needing batteries every 3 to 4 years, servicing they just need a squirt of grease on the trans axle grease nipple every few years and quick check of the nuts and bolts and that’s it.

I just think the Motability scooter scheme to be very expensive, taking into account the original purchase price for my scooter £500 plus 3 sets of batteries say @ £110 = £830 divide by 14 ( we brought my scooter in 2005, not 2006 as originally stated)

Turns out to be 59.58 per year, just over a pound a week and I still have my scooter.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#86681 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Same here Oscar and I must admit looking at Motability pricing for small scooters they really are a rip off, may be that’s where their making all their profits. ?

2 years ago I bought a brand new Pride Go-Go Elite Traveller LX online for about £650 and going by Motability prices for that same model works out to £1,595-36p multiplying £15-34p per week by 104 weeks.

Even though I’ve bought another new scooter last month I only bought it for the all around suspension as the suspension in the seat stem of the LX is OK but its not perfect but you could look upon it as a free scooter with the money I save.

As we know with Motability they cover every thing but my old LX is working as good as the day I got it and the only advantage with Motability is they, I assume, give you breakdown service should you become stranded but even that kind of insurance can be bought for £80 to £100 a year and your still quids in.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Motability Scooters.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: