Motability Scooters

• Creator
    Topic
    Tiny tim
    Participant

I know this is which Motability Car Forum but it would be good to include  the Scooter and power chairs that are Available as well as I have a Car at this time I also long term Hire a TGA Vita S with uprated batteries which is very nice.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ChrisK
      Participant

Hi tim

Although “car” is part of the web address of this forum I’m sure your welcome to have a scooter thread. We do talk scooters from time to time but mostly in respect of them fitting into the boots of our cars.

I have in the past had a scooter related thread going myself about upgrading lead acid batteries to Li-on ones in pavement / road scooters so feel free to talk about such matters.

I think I’ve spent, over the years I’ve been disabled, more on pavement scooter than actual AP’s, in fact I know I have and this is a good site for finding information about any scooters as you can be sure someone here has had that model.

All my scooters have been pavement / boot scooters so know little about 8 MPH ones but only from my view point are not very good value for money when it comes to leasing them through Motability, but like I said I know little about them.

Glos Guy
        Participant

I know this is which Motability Car Forum but it would be good to include the Scooter and power chairs that are Available as well as I have a Car at this time I also long term Hire a TGA Vita S with uprated batteries which is very nice.

I don’t claim to know anything about scooters or power chairs, but given that it can be significantly cheaper to run small inexpensive cars privately than through Motability, I should imagine that renting a scooter or power chair through Motability by sacrificing benefits would be a very poor financial decision?

kezo
          Participant

I know this is which Motability Car Forum but it would be good to include the Scooter and power chairs that are Available as well as I have a Car at this time I also long term Hire a TGA Vita S with uprated batteries which is very nice.

I don’t claim to know anything about scooters or power chairs, but given that it can be significantly cheaper to run small inexpensive cars privately than through Motability, I should imagine that renting a scooter or power chair through Motability by sacrificing benefits would be a very poor financial decision?

I don’t know alot about the scooter side but I believe it around £15 per week, around £2,300 over 3 years, for a pavement scooter.

You can get some snazzy looking scooters for a fair bit less than that!

Tiny tim
            Participant

Yes but I have bought my own scooters for many years and if you want peace of mind like insurance service every year and breakdown cover and any problems sorted then I found it less stressful. I had a scooter brand new and the digital dash packed up after a year and it was taken away and left me with a Scooter until they fixed it which was just over a week. My Previous Scooters I paid well over £2000 to up to £3000 and they are only worth about £250 when you want a new one so they lose a lot of money.

Tiny tim
              Participant

Hi Chris you are right we all may want even an Auto folding like I have as well boot Mobility Scooter that is so good at getting around on and gives you freedom, also I have found a great Company that sells nearly new Mobility Scooters that are Ex Motability and got my Auto folding Scooter from them and it is like brand new condition Lithium batteries and they cost around £350 for one so I am covered for everything no worries.

kezo
                Participant

The easiest way of putting it, with anything in life and not just Motability, is that the value is in the eye of the beholder.

Participant

I’d like a very light weight folding scooter for my country park but they seem to be 25 kg which is too heavy for me to lift into boot

Tiny tim
                    Participant

You could get a 40kg Elap hoist for your boot.

ChrisK
                      Participant

Hi Mike

Yes even my auto-folder at 27Kg with battery, 25Kg without, is still a weight to lift to boot height though I can do it but not safely and it can cause a lot of damaged to the car having to drag it and man handle it into the car not to mention the damaged to the scooter itself. I’ve over come that by using an Elev8 that has a, just about manageable 11Kg weight.

Although the auto folding scooters have big advantages when it comes to car boot space there’s nothing like the good old five pieces type pavement scooters as there much better at off tarmac terrain plus they have the swivel captains seat that make it a whole lot easier getting on and off the scooter, something I overlooked before getting a folding one but as they say “nothing is perfect”. Another thing I overlooked too was the padding of the seats on the folding scooters and although the model I’ve got is supposed to be the best in it’s class for bum comfort it still not a match for my old Pride Apex Rapid with all around suspension that I still have. My auto folding scooter, Drive Devilbiss Elite, has all round suspension and the lack of suspension is one reason I was put off buying one for years and now with all the mini cars being pushed on us they’ve become essential not being easy for myself to dismantle my five piece job.

Back to the weight problem, I’ve seen ads on TV for a folding scooter that weighs about 14Kg from memory but doesn’t look easy to fold and unfold for a one handed person like me plus it has a very heavy price.

Tiny tim
                        Participant

Hi Mike Yes even my auto-folder at 27Kg with battery, 25Kg without, is still a weight to lift to boot height though I can do it but not safely and it can cause a lot of damaged to the car having to drag it and man handle it into the car not to mention the damaged to the scooter itself. I’ve over come that by using an Elev8 that has a, just about manageable 11Kg weight. Although the auto folding scooters have big advantages when it comes to car boot space there’s nothing like the good old five pieces type pavement scooters as there much better at off tarmac terrain plus they have the swivel captains seat that make it a whole lot easier getting on and off the scooter, something I overlooked before getting a folding one but as they say “nothing is perfect”. Another thing I overlooked too was the padding of the seats on the folding scooters and although the model I’ve got is supposed to be the best in it’s class for bum comfort it still not a match for my old Pride Apex Rapid with all around suspension that I still have. My auto folding scooter, Drive Devilbiss Elite, has all round suspension and the lack of suspension is one reason I was put off buying one for years and now with all the mini cars being pushed on us they’ve become essential not being easy for myself to dismantle my five piece job. Back to the weight problem, I’ve seen ads on TV for a folding scooter that weighs about 14Kg from memory but doesn’t look easy to fold and unfold for a one handed person like me plus it has a very heavy price.

Funny you should say that I used to have a drive folding Scooter  I bought myself and found it a bit jarring over bumps I sold it and now have a Drive Elite That at least has rear suspension that my older one did not have and also the tyres are more rubbery than the old solid plastic so really happy now. Their is a type of lift that is scissor lifting that can lift 27kgs in uk it is about I think £600 but you have to man handle it around and not sure how it loads into car. There was also the Hercules lift but again a bit much to move around. The Autochair Elap v40 is much better but unless you get it before your motability order which would cost you about £217 including fitting and if you need it after order or into your ease then it would cost you about £888 or under with VAT off mine was £777 fitted.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.