Motability car potential write off

• Creator
    Topic
  • #185423 Reply
    Girlintrouble

I bought a Motability car (Mercedes’ cla) I was hit by an untraced driver a hit and run, police are advising they still can’t find the driver. I’m at a loss for words. I’m still waiting for an update from coparts to confirm if it’s a write off because the air bags deployed but since Mercedes’ have pulled out of the Motability scheme, what’s the next step? Can I still order another Merc? Also in a hire car (Toyota which I’m not impressed with) and feel like I’m not getting any help from RSA on what happens next

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #185436 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

I’m presuming you’ve leased the car from Motability (not bought it) as you mention ordering another.

Unfortunately there’s no way you’ll be able to order another Mercedes from Motability.

If the hire car isn’t suitable, i.e. your disability makes driving the car difficult, painful, unsafe, etc, then Motability should offer a different hire car. But not being your personal preference will not be taken in to consideration. E.g. you can’t demand an hire car that matches the spec and desirability of your current lease. This will be frustrating as you agreed to forfeit your benefit for 3 years for a Merc and that’s not what you are driving. You will of course, be able to cancel your current lease, but will not have a vehicle.

Motability may be able to source a vehicle soonish for you, but it will obviously be a vehicle that is in extremely low demand (a car not many people want).

#185437 Reply
    Girlintrouble
    Participant

Sorry, lease***

I have advised it’s not comfortable (there are some issues with the car) which they are trying to resolve to change.

is it not possible to wait with the current hire car until Mercedes’ come back on the scheme? I really really want to avoid having to have a car I don’t want. I’m trying to find little loopholes such as maybe speaking to my dealer who we’ve had a good relationship with prior and seeing if they can do me a solid?

also am I considered a new applicant if I have to get a new motability? Sorry if I sound stupid, I’m new to this and just lost on what to do

#185440 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

Just to add to what @gliders has wrote which really suns everything up to a T. You could approach Motability and ask if you were to take another car on the scheme would they agree to an early termination if/when a more suitable car for your needs came along.  Assuming your car ends up a write off as you en vivid that is. Unfortunately there is not a lot more you can do, other than asking and trying to get a more equivalent hire car similar to your Merc or one that would suit your needs better.

#185442 Reply
    Girlintrouble
    Participant

Thank you Kezo, you’re both probably right. It’s been such a stressful time.  I still  have to wait to hear from insurance if it’s a write off. They said be a little hopeful because it’s not always the case so once they confirm then I guess next steps will be more clear. Just trying to weigh out all my options

#185446 Reply
    gilders
    Participant

is it not possible to wait with the current hire car until Mercedes’ come back on the scheme? I really really want to avoid having to have a car I don’t want. I’m trying to find little loopholes such as maybe speaking to my dealer who we’ve had a good relationship with prior and seeing if they can do me a solid? also am I considered a new applicant if I have to get a new motability? Sorry if I sound stupid, I’m new to this and just lost on what to do

I’d say the only way that it might be possible for you to keep the hire car until Merc reappear on the scheme would be if Motability knew that Merc were returning next quarter, which to be honest, there’s absolutely no chance.

Each vehicle that can be leased through Motability have a Motability reference number. So however good your relationship is with your Merc dealership, they won’t be any loopholes for ordering a Motability car.

No need to apologise and you’re certainly not being stupid. One thing to bear in mind is that although you did some paperwork at the dealership, it was Motability who bought this vehicle and you are leasing it from them not the dealership.

Honestly, if the car is a write off, you need to choose from the current selection, or leave the scheme and lease/purchase elsewhere.

#185471 Reply
    shoecake

hope it isnt written off….

if it is your kind of stuck with a few options, which you wont want really

order a car you like, pay a advance payment, and wait for it to arrive

order anything to save the AP and time, get what ever is available.

stick with a hire car, which wont go on for too long… as when the car is written off, i beleive your lease will end then

#185501 Reply
    Ginny
    Participant

My SEAT was involved in an accident (not written off though) and the replacement car (small)  was not suitable. They could not get an estate cars so I had a top spec SUV Wasn’t very nice to drive though (driving position way too high). Although in my case the third party was insured/didn’t disappear so their insurance company paid.

Not sure what segment the CLA occupies; if it is a large car, you are right, there are none on the scheme, but if medium there are nearly 100. I know when the A Class first came on the scheme it was a small car, I was interested, my husband having owned a Merc back in the day. I went to the dealership but got the feeling they did not want to sell me one, so I got a Golf. Most cars seem to have grown in size over the years but the A class seems to have grown from a 1 Series to a 5 Series sized car.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ginny.

Current vehicle: 2018 SEAT LEON ST 1.8 TSI FR Technology DSG
    On order: MINI 5-Door Hatch 2.0 Cooper S Classic Steptronic

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Motability car potential write off
Your information: