Is going electric now worth it?

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by kbfern.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #165066 Reply
    cjazzman
    Participant

I was considering going down the electric route with my next vehicle. I am not sure if this is such a good thing due to the ridiculous prices of electric and there’s worse to come from next April.

Anyone else have any views on this?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #165068 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I was considering going down the electric route with my next vehicle. I am not sure if this is such a good thing due to the ridiculous prices of electric and there’s worse to come from next April. Anyone else have any views on this?

Keeping in mind that if you commit to an EV, you also change your electricity tariff to something like Octopus Go (5p per kWh between 1am and 5am, or something like that – chargers can be set to charge in that timeframe only), the impact of price increases isn’t as bad as it seems.

Not to mention, you’re assuming that petrol will not rise in price, which is the opposite of what’s happening with oil prices soaring again.

In a vacuum, an EV is always massively cheaper to run – if  you can charge it from home. If, on the other hand, you have to charge and pay at the “pump” at a public charger, it’s probably still cheaper but not as much (although, if i understand correctly, you’ll get a membership card for chargers, or something – have not read into this as we’re able to get a charger fitted).

#165074 Reply
    Ian

Like he says…….ev are 10% fuel cost of an equivalent ice. Even if Elec triples in price you will still be saving money. My only concern is the government tax which surely must come?

#165078 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

As the previous two posters have said. I pay for 60% of my car charges on commercial (exspendive) chargers.

so far over 15k miles I’m averaging out at 3’2p a miles, my economical BMW diesel was costing me 12p a mile, if I could charge at home I’d probably be paying an average of less than 2p a mile.

Also, electricity is going up, just as fossil fuels are

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#165080 Reply
    kbfern

Sure EV’s are the way forward but will not always be as cheap to run as now. Government will bring in new ways to get us to pay for the huge revenue they will be missing from Diesel and Petrol, probably road charging and putting full vat rate on electricity rather than the 5% it is now for starters.

Having said that EV’s will become cheaper over time, most EV’s now are £30k to £50k for relatively average vehicles (not the luxury brands).

Obviously some EV owners are feeling a little smug right now as they see all the ICE people fretting about topping up there cars and there is horrendous queues and traffic jams everywhere. However all is not rosy yet on the EV front as charging an EV is not without it’s pitfalls. There can be queues at charging points, quite often they are out of order and you might have to plan your journey to include a charge if it is to be a long one. Things will get better over time as charging ranges continue to go up and newer faster public charging stations continue to roll out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Is going electric now worth it?
Your information: