How long will car dealers be closed due to coronavirus?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  martino 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #110793 Reply

rox
    Participant

How long will this lockdown keep car dealerships closed is a question baffling those in the automotive industry and the general public.

The problem is no one really knows, but here we’ve looked at the picture from around the world to give it our best guess.

Right now the important thing is to stay home, save lives and protect the NHS – but the longer the lockdown continues, the more people will be asking ‘when will we get back to normal’?

We’ve spoken to a number of dealership groups in the past few days, and other industry experts, to give us our best guest at how long this shut down will last.

How long will car dealerships be closed for due to Covid-19?

Currently, as we write on March 28, it looks like dealerships could be closed for THREE MONTHS.

As efforts to contain the coronavirus and relieve pressure on the NHS has bought retail to a standstill, it would be highly unlikely for car dealers to be back up and running before mid-June.

Most dealerships closed on March 23 – with only some workshops and garages remaining open – and three months from that date would be around June 15.

How long until it returns to normality? Who knows, but looking at other countries I think it could easily be six-10 weeks but I really hope for everyone it isn’t as long as this. Overheads are significant even with all of the government subsidies available so it will really start to hurt businesses if it stretches any further out than that.’

Why do we think lockdown of car dealerships could last three months?

Well, the current government support packages announced for furloughed workers and the self employed lasts the same period and it would be sensible to assume this is linked to how long the government expects most of the economy to be in hibernation.

In most stock market announcements, dealer groups didn’t mention when they thought they’d open again but from the conversations Car Dealer Magazine has had with the bosses of many, they are estimating a three-month closure at least.

How long will car dealers be closed due to coronavirus?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #110811 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Good article Rox.
    Thank you for posting.

I guess the questions now, as far as Motability is concerned, is:

– How, if at all,  will this awful situation affect Motability Operations? And,

– What will happen to the pricing once the ordering process is back up and running?

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#110851 Reply

rox
    Participant

Good article Rox. Thank you for posting. I guess the questions now, as far as Motability is concerned, is: – How, if at all, will this awful situation affect Motability Operations? And, – What will happen to the pricing once the ordering process is back up and running?

I dunno, I guess it all depends what plays out and how long and what they say the people want to happen / demand that happens or scare them into hysteria to accept happening. like now ( self imprisonment ) and imo the powers that be ain’t gonna allow things to go back to the way they was before the crisis = springboard for change or war imo it’s how they roll and keep control of the people.

Did read some car makers are using the period to upgrade… Maybe they won’t make ice cars any more (who knows) maybe Motability Operations is dead as we know it..

Maybe a lot more of lets not use oil or gas etc any more to save the enviroment, after all The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals for 2030, which was agenda 21 . all seems ok till you actually read it..

To me it un stuff explains alot and the direction we was going social engineering wise before this, but now everthing is virtually stopped all bets are off, the longer we all down the easier it is to level it all and restart again a fresh.

A clean break or rebuild.

I know this though what will happen will happen and you only really suffer while you living, but most people are so scared of death, why because we conditioned ? programed to. nature or nurture, i dunno but look we even taught to ask permission to go to the toilet.

I scared too… not of my own but my kids, as in 2017 my eldest who was 16 died suddenly, no warning no illness, no accident. just gone. still hard to comprehend it all and meinwhile we have an 8 year old stuck at home. not living there life as a kid really as it’s on hold.  one who’s lost a big bro and we told life is for living as we never know when our time is going to be up.. I got run over when i was 9 and i lucky to be here, not much we can do but get threw it and adjust and hopefully comeout the other side.

#110852 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

Don’t know about them not making ICE cars as the industry is asking for the tight emission controls to be put back a bit to allow the industry to recover.

They don’t like but the motor industry is what keeps Europe afloat and if it goes down the pan Europe will go with it with millions up on millions being unemployed directly and indirectly.

European Car Industry Facing Unprecedented Financial Crisis

#110862 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Will the dealers sell the cars that are on order for Motability customers to private buyers given that it will take a while before stocks are replenished.

#110867 Reply

rox
    Participant

Will the dealers sell the cars that are on order for Motability customers to private buyers given that it will take a while before stocks are replenished.

I doubt ppl will be out panic buying new cars, once the dealers do open again.

The problem is that’s likely to be maybe at least 3 months, no sales and no income, gov money is to pay wages for that period but it could go on longer or back to normal next week..

Went out this evening had to do a dpf regen, first one in almost 9 years of owning a diesel.

My local vw dealer has still got cars outside. i’m due to change cars on 15th and no it’s not an april fools joke, My new car is getting my private plate on it, thats been on retention or i’ll lose it.. and did get a text from mb, saying as i due to exchange soon the dealer once open again will contact me and price for Q1 stands. but i dunno… if the car is sitting in dealers compound for that long, do i still want it..

They have had it already for a while stored pretty much since i ordered it in jan.. as was only 3 blue ones in uk available in spec i wanted before my exchange date.. just suxx the not knowing when, but at least we still on the road

#110874 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Rox, unless something has changed you wouldn’t lose your private plate, you’d just need to renew the retention certificate (of entitlement) after 10 years, which was free last time I looked. 👍

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#110877 Reply

roly
    Participant

I can’t see the shutdown of car dealerships lasting that long. They are generally sparsely populated areas with relatively few visitors per day (as compared to a supermarket for example). Control and sanitisation measures should be easy to implement and maintain.

The pressure on the government here and across Europe to get sections of the economy moving again will be unbearable as soon as this first wave subsides and the testing issues are resolved.

#110879 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I agree young Roly

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#110880 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I had an email from my Mitsubishi dealer from the 24th March the initial shutdown was for 3 weeks, my Ford dealership cancelled my 3rd year service and MOT and moved approximately 6 weeks from the above date. I am guessing 6 weeks, but there again I could be completely wrong (as usual).

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#110882 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes as usual like you said about Tesla on scheme 😀

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#110898 Reply

rox
    Participant

I can’t see the shutdown of car dealerships lasting that long. They are generally sparsely populated areas with relatively few visitors per day (as compared to a supermarket for example). Control and sanitisation measures should be easy to implement and maintain. The pressure on the government here and across Europe to get sections of the economy moving again will be unbearable as soon as this first wave subsides and the testing issues are resolved.

I was under the impression if you don’t assign it within the 10 years you now lose it…

it’s been on retention since just after i joined the scheme 9 years ago, Back then you had to pay for each year and renew it, Then they changed it…. it’s not going to run out yet. The problem is the dealer said when he called me, that the cars in their compound has been for a while and looks good with the private plate on, already for 15th but now they closed and what if, they closed for months. Maybe i won’t put the pin in then.. Maybe I’ll leave the scheme. all depends what happens. I may need to use the AP.

The dealer rang me ages ago asking if i wanted to choose a 20 plate as they’d come in, but i declined as I’m having the private plate on.. until this all kicked off. I cannot lose this plate, means more to me than ever since my eldest passed away in 2017.. It’s my only real worry.

#110899 Reply

rox
    Participant

I can’t see the shutdown of car dealerships lasting that long. They are generally sparsely populated areas with relatively few visitors per day (as compared to a supermarket for example). Control and sanitisation measures should be easy to implement and maintain. The pressure on the government here and across Europe to get sections of the economy moving again will be unbearable as soon as this first wave subsides and the testing issues are resolved.

You would think so but in reality no, Firstly is it essential showrooms stay open, service and parts i say yes, but showrooms no… Also the tiny droplets can live in the air for upto 3 hours. so a carrier sits in all the cars in the dealers, to check them out, then anyone who sits in those cars could get infected for next 3 hrs from just breathing the air.. prob less chance in a supermarket of catching it like that, A car is a confined, sealed enviroment and thats not even taking a car for a test drive, i done them on my own before, thats not the problem but now the car would need a deep clean before the next person get in. So would every car once a persons been in it..

On hard surfaces it can last upto 72hrs. so even a hire car could be a problem if leased next day or 3 days later of someone who infected being in it…

#110900 Reply

rox
    Participant

Rox, unless something has changed you wouldn’t lose your private plate, you’d just need to renew the retention certificate (of entitlement) after 10 years, which was free last time I looked. 👍

was under the impression if you don’t assign it within the 10 years you now lose it…

it’s been on retention since just after i joined the scheme 9 years ago, Back then you had to pay for each year and renew it, Then they changed it…. it’s not going to run out yet. The problem is the dealer said when he called me, that the cars in their compound has been for a while and looks good with the private plate on, already for 15th but now they closed and what if, they closed for months. Maybe i won’t put the pin in then.. Maybe I’ll leave the scheme. all depends what happens. I may need to use the AP.

The dealer rang me ages ago asking if i wanted to choose a 20 plate as they’d come in, but i declined as I’m having the private plate on.. until this all kicked off. I cannot lose this plate, means more to me than ever since my eldest passed away in 2017.. It’s my only real worry.

#110909 Reply

martino

Although I  would like to order a new car ,, I cant see car dealers opening any time soon ,because a new car is not really a priority

we’ll just need to stick with what we have

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: How long will car dealers be closed due to coronavirus?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: