Fast charger

• Creator
    Topic
    sif

Does anyone have any advice on whether the fast charger available with the peugeot 3008 is worth having? I have been told that its restricts the places it can be used. If you get the fast charger should you also get the wall charger? Is there any contribution towards that? Thanks in anticipation.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Chub

Chargers you get installed at home are 7kw ones.
        You can get 50kw or 100kw ones in public places.

Chub

If you charge over night whilst sleeping you should be ok. Then when needed fast charge in public. Not sure if you get a grant for hybrid cars. Electric 100 % you

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

Sif

I am starting to believe it is not worth adding the fast charger and a wall box, just use the standard wall socket, charging takes 5 hours 45 minutes from empty to full but usually it will just be a top up.  Julie seems to imply that PHEV’s are far from welcome at public charge points and personally I would prefer to stick to home charging and just run on petrol power alone than cause a fuss at a public charger, the fast charger will only reduce the charging time to 2 hours.

gothitjulie
            Participant

PHEVs are welcome on 3.6kW to 7.2kW chargers as long as they don’t simply use them as parking spaces. Last week I parked next to a PHEV & it was charging on a 7.2kW post so no problem.

PHEVs are not so welcome on some of the rapid chargers (50kW DC CHAdeMO & CCS, plus upto a 43kW AC socket) where they use the Type 2 AC socket to draw just 3.6kW for hours whilst BEVs sit waiting their turn to get a top-up to get them home. The PHEV charges too slow, block BEVs from using the chargers to draw 50kW, & only charges enough to gain 15 miles or so of motorway range in about 3 hours.

Now, some of the rapid chargers can support an AC connection & a DC connection at the same time, you can plug into those if you know which ones support it, but they are really meant for 22kW & 43kW Zoe charging or for emergency 7kW charging of BEVs to get them as far as the next charger when the DC circuits have failed.

The 7kW fast chargers are usually posts in car parks (supermarkets, train stations) or wall box type chargers in some car parks, they are cheap & often free to use. And then there are the advertising post 7kW chargers that Tesco have next to a normal 7kW post.

Rapid chargers (50kW DC and faster) are large, like petrol pumps or larger, they have expensive transformers inside & thick tethered charging leads that are possibly water cooled.

You will see these around quite a bit, ABBs Terra charger, note they have a tethered 7kW AC lead rather than a socket.

And these Ionity 350kW chargers don’t have an AC socket (or CHAdeMo DC socket) (yes, that’s my car on that Ionity charger, suckling at up to 100kW)

sif

Thanks, Gothitjulie, may I ask where you learned to speak EV, I tried Klingon once but your native tongue seems much harder.

Do you think then that on balance, if I take care to use 7kw chargers in supermarkets etc, it would be a good idea to get a fast charger? As well as making recharge faster at home?

What do you make of the advice I had that because of the shape of the connector I could use fewer chargers than if I kept the basic supplied charger? presumably no one will be concerned at using as 7kw charger in a supermarket for about an hour and a half. I believe that is the fast charging time using the upgraded charger.

Thanks

Richard

Speaking of I wonder if that’s going to be a future, charger rage, because car x is on a 200kW charger but charging at 50kW possibly as it was the only one available on arrival.

I hope we’re going to get to the point where there’s more than enough to go round or they’ll all upgrade eventually to support faster charging I’d hate to see drivers of say a standard charging Zoe at 50kW frightened off using other chargers for fear of abuse.

gothitjulie
                  Participant

Does anyone have any advice on whether the fast charger available with the peugeot 3008 is worth having? I have been told that its restricts the places it can be used. If you get the fast charger should you also get the wall charger? Is there any contribution towards that? Thanks in anticipation.

To answer that question you’d need to know & understand the charge profile of the 3008s 10.8kWh battery.

The options are the 3.3kW or the 6.6kW AC charger that sits in the car. Charge times quoted are 3h30m for the 3.3kW and 1h40m for the 6.6kW. If you are parked up at a destination such as a supermarket regularly then it’s a simple calculation of how much money you will save over the 3 years of the lease compared with the £300 extra you will pay for the 6.6kW option.

As an example, if you plug in once a week & pull 10kWh, you will pull 1,560kWh over 3 years, at 15p per kWh average at home compared to free from a supermarket charge post, that’s £234 saving instead of £117 saving using the 3.3kW standard charger . Not worth paying the extra £300 for as you won’t recover your outlay.

To make the difference you’d need to be charging nearly 3 times per week at a free supermarket charger for it to be worthwhile.

The other constraints are the length of time you can use the chargers, it’s often 2 or 3 hours at supermarkets, depending on their footfall. But I can’t see an economic argument for the 6.6kW charger unless you are stopping at supermarkets most days for a meal.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.