Factory Options Suggestion For Motabilty

• Creator
    Topic
    MickC
    Participant

You pay for any factory options fitted to your car out of your own pocket,you enjoy the benefit of those,often expensive “packages” but at the end of the lease the only beneficiary is Motability with an enhanced resale value.

Would’nt it be nice if along with the GCB,Motability gave customers an options package bonus of say 10% of the original cost outlay back to the customer.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ChrisK
      Participant

We hear so many stories its hard to get to the truth but what I’ve read in the past is Motability don’t benefit from our extra donations?

Take my current car as an example, VW Tiguan that only has one option of IQ Lights I paid for at £425. The car when I’m done with it will be handed back to MB who in turn will send it to an auction dealer in most cases. My understanding is that MB will be looking at a price suitable for the car for its age and mileage in this case VW Tiguan in R-Line trim. They will not say to their buyers “it’s a Tiguan R-Line with optional IQ Light”, they will pass it on simply as a Tiguan R-Line model with no mentions of any options though of course when a dealer buys the car from MB and sales it will have the car plastered with banners in there showroom high lighting all the options the car has and why its worth the extra £’s they will be asking for.

My guess is that MB don’t even know that my car has the option of the IQ Lights in it unless they scrutinise the invoice but would have no interest in doing so and its the dealer who buy and sale the car on who benefit however, again I’m guessing a bit, all the bidders for the car will know what options are in the car if there worth their weight so would have bidders prepared to go over the market price for the car so in turn MB will benefit in that way but have no control over the cars final value.

Just my thinking but yes it would be nice if there was a possible way to filter a bit of that extra cash back to the individual customer but would be too much bother for MB who are quite happy I’m sure with the way things are and would of course say that everyone benefits.

Southamman
        Participant

I would prefer uf they 8bsured any options, as any options are not covered with the insurance

Matt
          Participant

I’ve just had the invoice for my car and there were two, one for Motability which didn’t include the sun protection glass and the price to pay was just the advance payment and a separate additional invoice to me  for the glass. So it makes sense that Motability have no knowledge of extras as they weren’t mentioned on their invoice.

I agree that they should give you an option to separately insure your options. I would never add anything too expensive as an option, not that I haven’t wanted to in the past and there are a few packs I’d have added to my current order if they were insured, but I’d be absolutely gutted if I’d purchased thousands of pounds of options and the car was written or PIP cancelled.

Carmad
            Participant

I would prefer uf they 8bsured any options, as any options are not covered with the insurance

This isn’t true.  When you take delivery of the car, it’s fully insured.  Personal effects within the car like wheelchairs / walkers are not insured.

Only in the event of the car being written off then yes, any options ordered wouldn’t be repaid to you.

ChrisK
              Participant

You might be right about the insurance as in the case of the car being written off the replacement would not come with the options unless you pay for them again, its a risk we have to take I’m afraid. I know under the totalitarianism governments we have in the west today we have little choices to live our own lives the way we want and glad at least were still allowed to make up our own minds as to risk buying options.

That said the options would be covered by the manufactures guarantee along with the rest of the car so shouldn’t be a problem if they need repairing during the lease time.

MFillingham
                Participant

We hear so many stories its hard to get to the truth but what I’ve read in the past is Motability don’t benefit from our extra donations? Take my current car as an example, VW Tiguan that only has one option of IQ Lights I paid for at £425. The car when I’m done with it will be handed back to MB who in turn will send it to an auction dealer in most cases. My understanding is that MB will be looking at a price suitable for the car for its age and mileage in this case VW Tiguan in R-Line trim. They will not say to their buyers “it’s a Tiguan R-Line with optional IQ Light”, they will pass it on simply as a Tiguan R-Line model with no mentions of any options though of course when a dealer buys the car from MB and sales it will have the car plastered with banners in there showroom high lighting all the options the car has and why its worth the extra £’s they will be asking for. My guess is that MB don’t even know that my car has the option of the IQ Lights in it unless they scrutinise the invoice but would have no interest in doing so and its the dealer who buy and sale the car on who benefit however, again I’m guessing a bit, all the bidders for the car will know what options are in the car if there worth their weight so would have bidders prepared to go over the market price for the car so in turn MB will benefit in that way but have no control over the cars final value. Just my thinking but yes it would be nice if there was a possible way to filter a bit of that extra cash back to the individual customer but would be too much bother for MB who are quite happy I’m sure with the way things are and would of course say that everyone benefits.

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense.

Motability sell in auction to the trade.  90% of trade buyers can recognise upgraded and optional parts from half a mile. They look in numerous vehicles every single week and it’ll take one hell of a lot of persuasion to convince me otherwise.  We all know that these options will make the car more desirable when selling to the next owner, which usually means that the competition for these cars will be higher and, with it being an auction, that means the limit for bids will be slightly increased.

For example (and these prices are completely fabricated!!)

Motability offer 2 Enyaqs, both Sportline Plus, one with the Advance package on without.  The Skoda buyers all flock to the Enyaq knowing it’s a solid car and will sit well at their forecourts.  This price is £10,000.  However the Advance Pack is going to put the sales price up by £1,500 so the limit for bids will be £10,750.

Alternatively, there are a bunch of cars where the base model are virtually unsalable.  Nobody wants one, they all want the next model up or packs added.  Therefore the most the buyer will bid would be £8,000 in the hope that someone else will outbid them and it’s not sat on their forecourt OR they choose not to bid unless it’s an absolute gift.  However, the version with the packs added are highly desirable, in fact the options chosen by Motability’s customer was exactly the same as most private purchasers but with a few extras on top.  The price for that has risen to £11,000 because the buyer knows full well that the sales team will have people interested as soon as it lands on the forecourt, if not before.

Now tell me there’s no commercial gain for Motability.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                  I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Adrian
                  Participant

I do think they should sell cars individually priced and specced akin to (some?) company cars. Then they’d know the worth of their stock and we could all be better covered for our initial investment, come write off or pro rata refund.

I’ll file this dream in the recycle bin

"Come on BYD Seal!"
                    Mossfinn
                    Participant

You might be right about the insurance as in the case of the car being written off the replacement would not come with the options unless you pay for them again, its a risk we have to take I’m afraid. I know under the totalitarianism governments we have in the west today we have little choices to live our own lives the way we want and glad at least were still allowed to make up our own minds as to risk buying options. That said the options would be covered by the manufactures guarantee along with the rest of the car so shouldn’t be a problem if they need repairing during the lease time.

When I joined Motability, I found that the insurance covers the car not, like private car insurance, you the driver as well. This concerned me because, as well as not covering any extras, I had concerns about personal coverage including legal.
                      I did some research and I found myself  insurance that is designed for people like us and any fleet drivers. The policy has one caveat that you must not be responsible for the accident but if you are the innocent party or if your vehicle is stolen, they will cover all out of pocket expenses ie extras on your car you paid for, arrange a suitable hire car, provide 24 hr legal advice and act for you in court if you have more than 50/50 chance of success.
                      There are ways round most things if you look.

ChrisK
                      Participant

We hear so many stories its hard to get to the truth but what I’ve read in the past is Motability don’t benefit from our extra donations? Take my current car as an example, VW Tiguan that only has one option of IQ Lights I paid for at £425. The car when I’m done with it will be handed back to MB who in turn will send it to an auction dealer in most cases. My understanding is that MB will be looking at a price suitable for the car for its age and mileage in this case VW Tiguan in R-Line trim. They will not say to their buyers “it’s a Tiguan R-Line with optional IQ Light”, they will pass it on simply as a Tiguan R-Line model with no mentions of any options though of course when a dealer buys the car from MB and sales it will have the car plastered with banners in there showroom high lighting all the options the car has and why its worth the extra £’s they will be asking for. My guess is that MB don’t even know that my car has the option of the IQ Lights in it unless they scrutinise the invoice but would have no interest in doing so and its the dealer who buy and sale the car on who benefit however, again I’m guessing a bit, all the bidders for the car will know what options are in the car if there worth their weight so would have bidders prepared to go over the market price for the car so in turn MB will benefit in that way but have no control over the cars final value. Just my thinking but yes it would be nice if there was a possible way to filter a bit of that extra cash back to the individual customer but would be too much bother for MB who are quite happy I’m sure with the way things are and would of course say that everyone benefits.

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense. Motability sell in auction to the trade. 90% of trade buyers can recognise upgraded and optional parts from half a mile. They look in numerous vehicles every single week and it’ll take one hell of a lot of persuasion to convince me otherwise. We all know that these options will make the car more desirable when selling to the next owner, which usually means that the competition for these cars will be higher and, with it being an auction, that means the limit for bids will be slightly increased. For example (and these prices are completely fabricated!!) Motability offer 2 Enyaqs, both Sportline Plus, one with the Advance package on without. The Skoda buyers all flock to the Enyaq knowing it’s a solid car and will sit well at their forecourts. This price is £10,000. However the Advance Pack is going to put the sales price up by £1,500 so the limit for bids will be £10,750. Alternatively, there are a bunch of cars where the base model are virtually unsalable. Nobody wants one, they all want the next model up or packs added. Therefore the most the buyer will bid would be £8,000 in the hope that someone else will outbid them and it’s not sat on their forecourt OR they choose not to bid unless it’s an absolute gift. However, the version with the packs added are highly desirable, in fact the options chosen by Motability’s customer was exactly the same as most private purchasers but with a few extras on top. The price for that has risen to £11,000 because the buyer knows full well that the sales team will have people interested as soon as it lands on the forecourt, if not before. Now tell me there’s no commercial gain for Motability.

Is that not what I said ? The buyer at an auction would recognise the extra value of the options but Motability will not take that value on board when selling the car but as I said the car will attract a higher price because of the options so yes MB benefit.

Going back to to the OP original question of we the customers and being a beneficiary of the option we pay for is simply can’t happen because how would MB know in advance how much those options are worth when its in an auction.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.