EV use for paraplegics

• Creator
    Topic
    reluctantcripple
    Participant

Wotcha all

am contemplating going full EV. Home charging is easy and already have wall charger for a plug-in-hybrid. How do wheelchair users find using public charging stations: accessibility, cable weight etc. any feedback greatly appreciated.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rhodgie
      Participant

Hi @reluctantcripple, strange name as doubt any of us are willingcripple 🤔. Being a wheelchair user and an EV driver isn’t always easy but I’ve been one since 2014 and it is possible.

Sometimes I have to park like a 🔔🔚 to charge at a rapid, most fast chargers are usually okay but I wouldn’t leave my car parked like that for hours on end if it was squint… but 30 minutes is okay as I’d still be with it to explain to anyone who arrived and wanted on.

Cables can be heavy and a bit awkward to handle but if you’re fit enough to travel independently then you should be okay 🤞 some spaces are never going to be okay in which case you just need to get help or give up and drive elsewhere. A bit of planning and previous knowledge can help a lot for these chargers. Ionity and Gridserve are usually good for access, Instavolt not so much as they tend to be in normal sized bays. You should find some and take a run to see them, maybe try parking and charging your PHEV.

Things are definitely getting a lot better and I have no worries about going on a long run, currently I’m doing about 17k a year and would happily drive 400+ miles in a day, used to be more but occasionally we take the wife’s car to give it a good run cause it’s a diesel ☹️

I personally try to avoid cars with the charge port on the passenger side (like Tesla, Vauxhall,  Peugeot) as it means you need space to get the drivers door open to get your chair out plus space to get around to the passenger side… further reducing the chance of finding an accessible bay… charge ports at the front (Niro, Kona, Leaf) is my preferred option or on the drivers side rear (Ioniq 5 & 6) as second choice.

I suppose it’ll depend on your usage, are you going to be doing long trips alone where you’d need to charge, would you gave help on a long trip or would you always plan on getting home?

reluctantcripple
        Participant

I personally try to avoid cars with the charge port on the passenger side (like Tesla, Vauxhall,  Peugeot) as it means you need space to get the drivers door open to get your chair out plus space to get around to the passenger side… further reducing the chance of finding an accessible bay

Thanks, that’s a very good point. My limited requirements when looking at a car are; how easy is it to transfer into the car, can I lift my chair easily into the passenger seat and will the chair, fully assembled, fit in the boot.

Thanks for the info.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.