EV newbie

• Creator
    Topic
    Footloose
    Participant

Hi all,

About to collect a Cupra Born V3 in the next week or so but maybe a foolish question as I can’t get a proper from my energy supplier to put my mind at ease.

Do I sign up for a separate EV tarrif to my existing home tarrif (EDF says I do?)and do I pay two standing charges?

im sorry if its a daft question.

Also how long does it normally take for home charger to be fitted?

Thanks to all 👍

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jojoe
      Participant

Our charger was fitted within 2 weeks of ordering the car in January. Car still not delivered. I’ve not looked at tariffs yet as we are with British Gas and get 5 hours of half price electricity on a Sunday.

kezo
        Participant

Ive just ordered a PHEV and will be moving from EDF to British Gas, as @Jojoe suggests you get 5hrs off peak and half price electric on Sunday’s. The rate per kWh off peak is also lower than ESF @7.9p per kWh.

I was going to move in June but, given the price cap is lowering in July, I shall wait and start the ball rolling then!

However given you have an EV, wouldn’t Octopus intelligent be a better overall tariff?

Rich44
          Participant

You don’t get 2 tariffs you move to a single tariff that’s for those with EVs. It’s no different technically to any other tariff except you must have an EV to qualify.

It’s worth checking the tariffs it’ll be interesting to try IO over Agile but I can’t see it saving money as I average about 13p/kwh on my bill

Ioniq
            Participant

@footloose

It is confusing, but you supplier is correct.

You sign up for dual fuel deal, the one that suits you. Once you sign up you change to an EV tariff for your car. You do not pay  for  two standing electricity charges.

Get the best deal you can.

I moved from British Has to Octopus recently. British Gas had me paying £270/month, and was £1100 in credit, they would not let me pay a lower rate,  They would only let me increase it.

So I moved to Octopus and had a holiday from the credit. But its better in my bank account rather than theirs. Ofgem is supposed to protect the customer from such shonky practices, but instead they protect the energy suppliers.

I will never go with BG again. Besides, I get 6 hours at 7.5p with Octopus, and only 5 hours with BG.

The other factor is, Octopus are going to install a 3-phase meter so I can use the polyphase supply. Granted it could take a while as they dont have many sparks that are certified for these meters. But I am on the waiting list.

I had no chance of getting a 3-phase meter from BG.

Footloose
              Participant

Thank you to everyone for your replies however I received an email after posting stating I should cancel the tarrif I was advised to go for and agree to EDF go electric but I can also include gas?

Not as simple or easy as I thought 😊

Steadyhorse
                Participant

Ordered my new Honda back in January and the charger was installed 4 weeks later. I’m due to pick up the new motor in about 2 weeks.

I’ve just switched electricity from BG to Octopus as BG could not give me any date for replacing my faulty smart meter and therefore I couldn’t change to the EV tariff. Octopus was a breath of fresh air and are changing the meter next Friday! I’ll probably switch the gas to Octopus in October when the contract expires thus avoiding a £75 exit fee.

des
                  Participant

They are right and wrong. I’ve an EV tariff which just means cheap electric at night. See if I can word this right. It’s one package with two tariffs. Night and day. I take two readings for my bill and there’s only one standing charge.

kezo
                    Participant

@des is bang on!

An EV tariff is a a 2 rate tariff, that works in basically the same way as Economy 7 does today, where a block of off peak hours often overnight at a cheap kW/h rate and a slightly more expensive kW/h day rate, than if you were on a standard 1 rate tariff. Like economy 7 there is one standing charge.

It use to be (and where some are getting confused) Economy 7, had the older RTS meters, which use to have 2 sets of readings (day/night). However, they should have been replaced with “Smart” meters, which are able to differentiate between on/off peak hours.

Footloose
                      Participant

Hi all

thank you for the replies and advice.I received an email advising to sign up for go electric (EDF)and  ill add gas to that as I’ve got a lot going on with my health currently (kidney/pancreas transplant hopefully 🤞)including dialysis,type 1 diabetes and double leg amputee and still working so I’m trying to simplify things and make it less stressful as I’m sure you all understand when you face something different or change but I’m looking forward to having an EV.I’m currently with EDF and have a smart meter so hopefully things will be okay.

Thank you

kezo
                        Participant

Hi all thank you for the replies and advice.I received an email advising to sign up for go electric (EDF)and ill add gas to that as I’ve got a lot going on with my health currently (kidney/pancreas transplant hopefully 🤞)including dialysis,type 1 diabetes and double leg amputee and still working so I’m trying to simplify things and make it less stressful as I’m sure you all understand when you face something different or change but I’m looking forward to having an EV.I’m currently with EDF and have a smart meter so hopefully things will be okay. Thank you

Fingers crossed for the transplant 🙂

Remember your health come’s first!

Ellie
                          Participant

Hi all thank you for the replies and advice.I received an email advising to sign up for go electric (EDF)and ill add gas to that as I’ve got a lot going on with my health currently (kidney/pancreas transplant hopefully 🤞)including dialysis,type 1 diabetes and double leg amputee and still working so I’m trying to simplify things and make it less stressful as I’m sure you all understand when you face something different or change but I’m looking forward to having an EV.I’m currently with EDF and have a smart meter so hopefully things will be okay. Thank you

We’ve had an EV for nearly 4 years. We’re on the Octopus Go tariff which has 4 hours of cheap electric at night. Saved us a lot of money over our previous diesel car, although the occasional public charging is rather expensive unfortunately.

One thing I would say is that the charging cables are quite heavy. I don’t have much arm strength and struggle with them. May or may not be an issue for you. If you are in a wheelchair you might find public charging challenging as the charging stations aren’t set up with disability in mind.

Hope you don’t have any practical problems and enjoy your new car. Best wishes with your transplant 🤞

Kia Soul 2020 EV

Footloose
                            Participant

Hi Ellie

thank you for your reply and kind words.

you are right regarding the cables as when I approached it for the first time I thought to myself “it’ll be light”but how wrong I was but I saw the funny side and fortunately I’m mobile with prosthetics so wasn’t too bad but definitely heavy but hopefully as time goes on things will improve 🤞

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.