EV car running cost

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  BionicRusty (Wayne) 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #107979 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I will use the new MGZS as a comparison it is basically an small SUV which can easy accommodate a mobility scooter, 4 adults etc, however there are cars like the new Peugeot 208e which offer better mileage, but this just to give you and idea.

We are with Octopus Energy off peak 5 pence a kWh and just under 14 pence normal rate. The MG has a watercooled 44.5 kWh battery so can take a fast charge so no range anxiety.

MG state normal cycle 166 and 200 + city driving, for this exercise we will use 150 miles range.

To charge the battery up to 40 kWh @ £0.05 (off peak) = £2.00, that £2.00 will allow you to travel roughly 150 miles in reasonable ideal conditions.

My Ford Kuga diesel powershift with the same size boot cost approximately £6.00 to do 40 miles, for the same cost £6.00 the MGZS will do 450 miles

If you travel say 7,000 miles a year the MGZS will cost you at this rate + £70, the same mileage in the Kuga = £1050.

So the fuel cost running the MGZS or similar EV over 3 years = £210 + every now and then the odd fast charge. Compare this with the Kuga over 3 years £3150.

Then you have to look at the MGZS AP £999 and £1499 = a few hundred pounds fuel cost, say less the £2000 in total

If you compare this to a vehicle like the Ford Kuga ( or even any petrol car) you have the AP say £2,000 = fuel cost £3150 = £5150

So in theory you could have the MGZS all in for less than the AP of a Ford Kuga plus save yourself over £3,000 over the year, that about £20.00 a week.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #107983 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Great stats oscarmax and the mgzs is a very decent looking car. I had a look at them when test driving the tiguan a couple of weeks ago and even the ones in the showroom were sold. The salesman says they can’t keep up with demand.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#108019 Reply

joss
    Participant

So in theory you could have the MGZS all in for less than the AP of a Ford Kuga plus save yourself over £3,000 over the year, that about £20.00 a week.

You will need £20.00 plus for when the Gov’ put the screws on to claw back the fuel duty they will be losing.

Sorry to put a negative spin on your other wise excellent post.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's
    "It is a great ability to be able to conceal one's ability."

#108022 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Yes, the Gov’t get about £29 bn/ year from fuel duty. EV drivers will have to make this up somehow.

#108034 Reply

Carl

Any ideas how the government would claw back the lost revenue from petrol and diesel sales?  I doubt sny levy will be charged at the home charging units as it’s a domestic supply!!

Will our roads all become toll roads  maybe??

#108037 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Well, all these new charging units at home are “smart” chargers, hence they’re taxable.

You could just put in a dumb socket & avoid the middleman though.

#108043 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

All governments are thinking hard about this one. They need to maintain the fuel tax revenue when the change comes and they realise that to rely on smart chargers is naive as they can be bypassed easily. From what I’ve read, current thinking leans towards, in addition to smart chargers, monitoring the kWh charge of the actual batteries, uploading this data and charging on that basis. It is a massive headache for all at the moment compounded by the thousands of dumb chargers and tens of thousands of dumber (😂) batteries all ready in place.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#108045 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

, unfortunately it was to late to edit

You will need £20.00 plus for when the Gov’ put the screws on to claw back the fuel duty they will be losing. Sorry to put a negative spin on your other wise excellent post.

That should read £3000 over 3 years, it was too late to edit

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#108048 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

opps last post gone a bit wrong, brain not functioning at present.

#108050 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Unfortunately what the government does in the future I have no control over, and to be honest they will do what they like whether you like it or not. I have never got involved in politics (a) I don’t have a clue (b) I have little interest (c) It always ends in arguments.

My post was just to highlight some of the running cost, it is alright buying the highest poshest AP car on the scheme, but how many of us considered the running cost, for me running a Outlander PHEV financial I will save over £1000 over 3 years in fuel cost.

#108053 Reply

Ian

If you live in a house with a driveway and never do long trips it certainly is starting to make sense, that is until the gov works out how to get its pound of flesh.

#108054 Reply

Roger

To put a slightly different angle on it. I have been disabled and unable to work for 17 years,so live off of government handouts for which I’m truly grateful. So the last thing I want to do is give the government back my money through fuel duty. For every £100 I spent on diesel I was giving 70 of it straight to the government. I’ve had an electric vehicle for five months now and only charged it at home three times. Thankfully the wife works next to a Tesco’s so charges the car there and it costs us nothing not a penny. I have already saved enough money to have paid a good proportion of the AP. My attitude is make hay while the sun shines, I realise Tesco’s won’t be giving me free electric forever and the government will find some way of taxing EV’s.But I will make the most of it whilst they make some decisions,which always takes them years. The main problem the government will have now is upsetting the green lobby whilst milking tax from everyone with EV’s.

#108056 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Roger I am so pleased for you, like you I now am in same boat, I am in a better position than other we have our own bungalow with a drive. I would imagine Tesco will eventually start giving you a card with electric credit card updated when you shop.

As regard government revenue, I would imagine a pay as go, however you never no, the disabled right campaigners may fight our corner and getting us an exemption from the charge, are disable people exempt from the congestion charges?

#108057 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

If you live in a house with a driveway and never do long trips it certainly is starting to make sense, that is until the gov works out how to get its pound of flesh.

Some of the EV coming onto the market are achieving 200 miles plus range, before long 300 + will become the norm.

#108060 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

And once solid state batteries hit, claims of 500 miles will be tested. Either way they’re touted to revolutionise EV’s.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: EV car running cost

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: