Driving Like Grandad

• Creator
    Topic
  • #155201 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Round trip to visit the grandchildren today.

BMW X1 petrol 2 litre.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #155202 Reply
    Rachel

Wow! that’s good fuel efficiency for a petrol engine, is it not?

#155204 Reply
    72 dudes

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Brilliant result Wigwam! Feather that throttle 👍</p>

#155206 Reply
    NosherN
    Participant

MPG nearly as good in my 2018 X1 2.0i XD but not quite 54MPG, I did have four adults and full boot though!

Fuel computer was theoretically stating over 750 miles on a tank of fuel!

#155215 Reply
    joss

Very Nice figures there wigwam. well done.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#155220 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

That’s incredible Wigwam. Our current 190PS 2.0i diesel Tiguan 4WD is only averaging 38mpg (admittedly I don’t drive it like Grandad!) and if I get anything more than that out of our forthcoming 2.0i petrol 4WD X1 then I shall be delighted. To be fair, I don’t choose a car based on mpg, but refuelling is a pain (nearest cheap petrol stations are 14 miles away) and the range on the Tiguan is appalling once you combine poor mpg with a small fuel tank. Looking forward to getting back to a BMW again, as they always seem to get the perfect balance of performance and economy, with both optimised and no compromises.

#155223 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

The thing that struck me as amazing is the average speed, assuming it is average speed of 49.3 MPH.

The most I think I’ve ever seen in my car is 25 MPH.😁

#155272 Reply
    Adam
    Participant

Not bad all though mine is only 1.2 3 cylinder

mpg

#155490 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Airport run this morning:

#155550 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Very good mpg I always listen to radio 2 in dab of course

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#155572 Reply
    Rene

At 50mph average, i assume that’s mostly motorway cruising at 65-70?

More interesting would be city traffic (from cold), to me anyway.

1.5 DSG, bit of a game to me (trying to get “highscore”) – best i’ve gotten so far, without being a severe traffic obstacle, was 48.1 –  though i doubt it’ll get higher, at 48mpg, the slightest touch of throttle (when driving off the lights) drops it by 0.3mpg.

#155576 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Rene, that was driving at the relevant speed limit where possible, using cruise control.  So mostly 70 although there were a few miles of rush hour crawl at the start.

Town is much more difficult to evaluate, conditions vary every journey. Our overall average consumption in 20,000 miles of mostly local driving is a very consistent 39 point something.  Most local journeys are 2 to 3 miles only.  Our previous Qashqai diesel did no better overall although it could better 60 on a run.

I can say is in my view the BMW B48 engine is the most efficient and technically the most advanced petrol engine you can get on a Motability car. I shall miss it when we change cars.

#155578 Reply
    Rene

I did assume that you were driving at the speed limit.

I sadly haven’t done much motorway driving, the longest motorway journey was around 20 miles in stop and go traffic, so i don’t have any numbers in that regard.

And yeah, i agree that town driving is difficult to evaluate, yet that’s the relevant part to (at least) me, since 95% of what we’re doing is just that.

#155580 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

And one of the reasons we are moving to an XC40 Hybrid, Rene. Not the only reason, but up to 20 miles a day of cheap, comfortable and relaxing electric use is a factor.

#155583 Reply
    Rene

We sat in one (Inscription Pro), if there’s no “big” EVs coming to the scheme (Enyaq iV, Q4 e-tron etc – that size) that’s a big contender.

We didn’t like the infotainment though, hoping that by the time we order, the normal XC40 T5 Recharge gets the android based system (currently only in the pure EV if i’m not mistaken).

#155584 Reply
    Gary

The infotainment was what put me off, only because I currently use android auto for maps and audible/Spotify and wasn’t keen on the half screen element.

Though as you can put your journey in to the volvo satnav and it will maximise your battery usage I’ve decided thst in all honesty I can just use Bluetooth for my music/books.

#155585 Reply
    Rene

Not really an issue since the absolute top spec XC40 Inscription Pro doesn’t actually have Android Auto/Apple Carplay in the first place.

It’s a £300 option, for wired(!) Android Auto.

Doesn’t have keyless entry either. Of course it all depends on necessities and the amount of niceties you want – for us, the XC40 would end up around £5500-£6000 or more (3200 AP, 1000 panoramic roof, 300 smartphone integration, 450 keyless, 1100 for adaptive cruise control).

If you don’t need any of that, of course, the car becomes much more attractive – sadly not the case for us.

#155586 Reply
    Rene

Sorry, don’t know how to edit a posting (if it’s at all possible).

The biggest issue is that the Tiguan Elegance exists. It has everything that i mentioned up there baked in the Trim, plus wireless AA (not available in the XC40), as well as a heated steering wheel (£350 in the Volvo) and Matrix LED lights (not available in the Volvo).

For £1800. It of course doesn’t have the 260ish bhp of the Volvo, and it can’t drive electric – but i can get quite a bit of petrol for the £4000 saved (which we wouldn’t – we’d opt for the Navigation Pro and 360 Area View Camera).

We really, really wanted one, i personally think the Volvo does look better on the outside and it does ride more plush (and then there’s the electric drive train) – but it’s too much to give up just for 25 miles electric range (and the, admittedly, awesome 260bhp).

#155588 Reply
    Gary

Yeah, I’ve chosen smartphone integration (mostly as I’d regret it if I decided I couldn’t live without it)

Heated steering wheel, would rather I didn’t need to get the rear heated seats too

I’d add that the inscription pro seems to have the equivalent of the matrix headlights though.

I was hoping to get adaptive cruise control, but as I’ve not had it on the Ford decided moving to an automatic from manual will give me a big benefit anyway.

Also decided I didn’t need keyless entry, as very rarely use it in the Ford.

Though extras can add to the cost substantially as you’ve pointed out 🙂

#155591 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Sorry, don’t know how to edit a posting (if it’s at all possible).

Hi Rene

If you want to edit your post you must be a registered member and even then it’s time related, not sure how long before your post locks but most forums do that these days.

#155594 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Its easy to argue, well I’ve got this and that in my current car so I need it in my new one and get carried away. The car before our X1 had 360 degree cameras, the cost of adding them on the X1 was a lot – so we did without. Do we miss them? – yes occasionally but not £20 a week’s worth.  Same with other stuff.  We tried to look at what we needed, not what we wanted.  We wanted a panoramic roof on the new car until we test drive one and found only the rear seat passengers benefit so why spend another £1000.  At the end of the day. It’s a different car – it will have different features some better some worse.  A high AP is like rent – at the end of the lease there’s nothing to show for it!

#155598 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve chosen smartphone integration (mostly as I’d regret it if I decided I couldn’t live without it) Heated steering wheel, would rather I didn’t need to get the rear heated seats too I’d add that the inscription pro seems to have the equivalent of the matrix headlights though. I was hoping to get adaptive cruise control, but as I’ve not had it on the Ford decided moving to an automatic from manual will give me a big benefit anyway. Also decided I didn’t need keyless entry, as very rarely use it in the Ford. Though extras can add to the cost substantially as you’ve pointed out 🙂

Gary – The headlights on the Volvo aren’t comparable to fully adaptive matrix headlights. From the info that I have read they are LED lights that ‘bend’. I’ve had those on a car some years ago and they turn the throw of the beam left or right depending on steering input. Adaptive Matrix headlights are a much newer generation of technology and they do an awful lot of very clever things depending on the road, speed etc. Most beneficial is the ability to drive on full beam with the headlight automatically ‘cutting out’ oncoming vehicles, or vehicles that are ahead of you, whilst leaving the rest of the beam on full. As the vehicle passes (or turns off) the section of the beam that has been cut out fills back in again as if by magic. They are absolutely brilliant and have to be experienced to be believed. The system used by VW isn’t as good as the one used by BMW (the BMW system reacts instantly where there is a bit of a lag on the VW system – a bit like their auto transmissions!) and the fact that you can’t even get them as an option on the XC40 was one of the reasons that the Volvo dropped into second place for us when we were choosing recently.

#155599 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Its easy to argue, well I’ve got this and that in my current car so I need it in my new one and get carried away. The car before our X1 had 360 degree cameras, the cost of adding them on the X1 was a lot – so we did without. Do we miss them? – yes occasionally but not £20 a week’s worth. Same with other stuff. We tried to look at what we needed, not what we wanted. We wanted a panoramic roof on the new car until we test drive one and found only the rear seat passengers benefit so why spend another £1000. At the end of the day. It’s a different car – it will have different features some better some worse. A high AP is like rent – at the end of the lease there’s nothing to show for it!

Wigwam – Completely agree about the panoramic sunroof. I think I’ve said this to you before, but we have had one on two cars (including our current Tiguan) as standard kit but would never pay extra for one. When you are sat in the front of the car you cannot even see it. They are only beneficial for rear seat passengers (which we rarely have) and act as a greenhouse in the summer, even with the blind closed. The biggest advantage is the extra light that they let in, especially with a black interior, but we tend to go for light interiors. I think you are wise to save your money.

#155600 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Agreed. We have a list of “Red Lines” however it all comes a standard nowadays anyway. We have a panoramic sunroof which has had the blind closed due to the excess heat in the cabin.

#155604 Reply
    Gary

@Glos Guy, well I will be driving.with main beam on in mine as the description on the Web site  says I can, will adapt if I keep getting flashed 🙂

#155605 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@Glos Guy, well I will be driving.with main beam on in mine as the description on the Web site says I can, will adapt if I keep getting flashed 🙂

It might have High Beam Assist Gary, in which case you can, but that dips the whole headlight rather than just a small segment. Very different to what fully adaptive matrix lights do. Of course, all are far superior to the halogen rubbish that we all had to put up with for decades and I don’t miss changing headlight bulbs 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
Reply To: Driving Like Grandad
Your information: