Disabled ID card.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  vinalspin 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #98273 Reply

SaintsMan

As someone who frequently travels through Europe I find that I get asked for my disabled ID card when getting into museums/galleries/trains/ etc. All I have is a DiD card that I paid for that looks a bit like a blue badge.

Other countries have an official ID card with your class of disability marked clearly on the card i.e. 40%/50% etc mobility. The way it is marked varies from country to country but they all seem to have some kind of official card.

So my question is why don’t we have an official disabled ID card?

Also

It’s not the first time I’ve been asked in the UK if I’m registered disabled, despite searching I’ve never found a disabled register anywhere, I believe there used to be something many years ago, does anyone know if it still exists?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #98294 Reply

Philjb

I believe it’s because someone thought it’s discrimination against disabled people.
    But more likely daily mail readers moaning we get too much for free.

#98295 Reply

Noel

About Access Card

maybe this one??

#98309 Reply

SaintsMan

@noel

There are a few cards like this and the one I have, but I mean an official DWP issued disabled card.

#98310 Reply

joss
    Participant

You used to register with your local authority or health service NHS. There is no such register now days.

As there is no longer a national register of disabled people, technically you don’t need to register as disabled.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#98321 Reply

SaintsMan

@joss thanks, that’s where all my searches ended up as well. Seems ridiculous when companies and organisations sometimes ask if you’re registered disabled.

@phil I can see the discrimination side of things, I remember the national ID project failing and discrimination was one of the many reasons.

I’m currently in Munich airport having travelled on the train from the city. If I was German I would have had an ID with my level of mobility displayed, that ID would get me free rail travel on the Munich underground and suburban trains. As it was I was lucky enough to be allowed free travel by a very helpful station guard. It would have been easier if I had a proper UK disabled ID.

#98325 Reply

Philjb

I have a buss and tube pass from my local council but it’s not EU wide. So maybe you can apply in Germany for one.

#98334 Reply

bfoandc

It used to be the case when I first received DLA numbers of years ago that the Local Authority where I lived had a ‘voluntary list’ which people were encouraged to join as it was useful for them to attract funding for disability provision in the area.

On the idea of the ID card itself I’d prefer to see an ID card that was multi-purpose so could act as an accepted photographic proof of ID/Address for those of us unable to drive and it could also be ‘loaded’ with information including any ‘entitlements’ (free bus pass, exemption from tolls, reduced charges etc).

At the moment, if one is unable to have a driving licence the only other ‘acceptable’ proof of ID is a passport but having to carry it around all the time isn’t very secure. When there was a proposal for a voluntary ID card a number of years ago I was very keen but it didn’t happen.

#98358 Reply

Winston

I’ve always thought it would be useful if we were issued with a driving license sized blue badge add on so to speak to carry in our wallets or purses ( Brydo lol )  at all times ( still issued a full sized one for our cars )

then in circumstances like this it could be presented to the relevant authorities , something official and recognised rather than these Medical ID ones you can order online that you that don’t mean much

#98374 Reply

joss
    Participant

I carry a few such cards because it helps the emergency services deal with me and know what medical issues I have. Mechanical heart valve = Warfarin. Diabetes on insulin. CKD stage 4. It would be nice to have them all on one card.

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#98377 Reply

JS

It is comical my mother has just phoned me as the doctor has phoned about a form they received about council tax (she has challenged paying full amount) she now has to find out paperwork proving she is registered disabled, the doctor is not sure why they get sent the form and why the council can’t go direct to dwp. I will now have to do a 200 mile round trip to put her mind at rest and look for the said paper work.

So YES a Disabled ID Card would get my vote! (For many reasons not just this example)

#98380 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Me too, the small blue badge add on idea sounds like a winner.

#98395 Reply

SaintsMan

The DiD card is a driving licence sized blue badge.

https://www.did-card.co.uk/

#98396 Reply

SaintsMan

@phil

If I lived in Germany I would apply for one Phil, unfortunately Brexit mucked up my retirement plans.

#98402 Reply

Winston

Has anyone got one of those DID cards?

#98424 Reply

joss
    Participant

I have never heard of DID cards. After reading the documentation, I see no evidence of support from any of the national charities. It VAT registered, It is not registered as a charity.

I would also question sharing your entitlement documents with them.

Due to the above I would be cautious.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 11 hours ago by  joss. Reason: adding details

Joss
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#98458 Reply

Philjb

I wouldn’t bother with anything like that unless it was implemented by the council or government.
    This one looks like a private company just cashing in on selling pocket size cards that aren’t recognised?

#98464 Reply

Winston

Yeah I’d only be interested in an official , Dwp/Government type card

#98491 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Looking at that it seems a way to make more money from the disabled at £11 a year.

This business was started in 2015 and appeared on “www.crowdfunder.co.uk” but failed it’s goals sadly, seems like a good idea but it’s just not widely recognised and is too expensive for most, shame really.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Disabled ID card.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: