Damaged car loading wheelchair?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar BigDave 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #87602 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

My own Motability car is currently in the dealership, awaiting parts due to a fault which is being sorted out under the vehicle’s warranty. It has now been there over a week.

Motability have been great and arranged an automatic hire car on from Europcar until the dealership can repair my car.

Now the problem. Earlier today I was trying to load my manual wheelchair into the boot of this hire car (it is more difficult than on my own car). Because it is so tight to get in, it has caused quite a fair sized deep scratch to the sill where the wheelchair footguards caught.

If this had occurred own Motability car, I would be hacked off, but understand it is covered by the ‘caused by my disability equipment’ waver. (Infact it wouldn’t have really happened as I know how to load the wheelchair without causing any damage to my car).

I had to sign for the condition of the hire car and it now has a scratch caused by my disability equipment.

Are hire cars covered to the same extent for damage caused by my wheelchair being loaded, or do I expect a bill from Europcar or possibly have to put in an insurance claim with RSAM and pay an excess?

Obviously this would not have occurred if I had my own Motability car as it is really easy to load the wheelchair.

Cheers

Dave

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #87604 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Dave

This is something that I worried about when I had a hire car for 2 weeks last February after having my own car rear ended.

The hire car was exactly the same model and trim as my own car down to the same hoist so did not have that problem of getting used to something else but I was wary of catching supermarket dinks or giving the bumper a knock while loading my scooter as the hirer went over the car with a fine tooth brush before I signed for it.

That said I can’t remember them asking for credit card details like they normally do or maybe being in dire straights at the time, just forgot about it, but yes, it’s an unknown worry.

#87605 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Hi Dave This is something that I worried about when I had a hire car for 2 weeks last February after having my own car rear ended. The hire car was exactly the same model and trim as my own car down to the same hoist so did not have that problem of getting used to something else but I was wary of catching supermarket dinks or giving the bumper a knock while loading my scooter as the hirer went over the car with a fine tooth brush before I signed for it. That said I can’t remember them asking for credit card details like they normally do or maybe being in dire straights at the time, just forgot about it, but yes, it’s an unknown worry.

Thanks Chris,

Yes it is a bit of a worry.

As Motability did explain, Europcar would need to take a £1 ‘fuel desposit’ on a card, Europcar did thus take a £1.00 fuel deposit on my credit card. I believe this should only be for ‘fuel’ and they shouldn’t use my card for any other purpose – well that is my thought, but open to interpretation no doubt.

Europecar did not have a direct ‘like for like’ replacement for my car so sent a similar car, which is higher and a different shape at the boot entry. Hence the problem loading the manual wheelchair (I don’t need a hoist normally).

I can sort of see that Europcar will expect the vehicle back as it left them. But as wheelchair/mobility equipment ‘scars’ are covered as part of the Motability conditions on Motability cars – and as I believe hire vehicles are covered by Motability’s t&c’s for such as insurance and useage etc, I don’t believe I should have to pay, or put in an insurance claim (and pay an excess)!

However, Europecar would only let me have the car after I signed for everything (even one slight almost unnoticeable scratch you can hardly see was noted on their paperwork). I have tried to be exceedingly careful with this hire car (and have driven it ultra cautiously), but I just don’t know how this sort of thing is sorted.

Dave

#87610 Reply
    Philjb

Dave

I would say you’d only be liable for the £100 excess.

I’m pretty sure if we have a hire car or a curtesy car we are insured with our RSA policy.

#87611 Reply
    Philjb

If you can’t feel the scratch with your finger nail it’s usually put down to fair wear and tear.

If it’s down to the metal I’d likely expect to pay the excess.

Only my opinion.

#87630 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Dave I would say you’d only be liable for the £100 excess. I’m pretty sure if we have a hire car or a curtesy car we are insured with our RSA policy.

The question is though, why should I have to?

Through no fault of my own, my Motability car is sat at the dealership awaiting parts to be mended under warranty due to an inherant fault.

If my own Motability car had been scratched loading my wheelchair it would be classed as fair wear & tear with no action taken. Even though the scratch can be felt with a fingernail to answer your other question.

The hire car is not a ‘like for like’ replacement (Europcar do not have my vehicle in their fleet), hence it was a ‘close’ replacement making it awkward to load/unload my wheelchair as the sill is higher and a different shape and not as wide as my own car.

As far as I can see, the hire car is hired on the same t&c’s as my own Motability car – as to who can drive the car, insurance wise etc. So surely the wheelchair damage should be classed as fair wear & tear?

I just feel as though I am going to get shafted with this, as it appears to be a flaw in the system.

Dave

#87653 Reply
    Philjb

Good point Dave

it just comes down to the hire company’s definition of FW&T

As I said it’s normally if the damage to paint is too the metal or caused a dent.

I know RSA are more relaxed in what they allow.

#87654 Reply
    JS

Dave out of interest is it visible when the boot is closed? The reason I say this is when checking the car over for damage it’s they usually only check over and mark down external visible marks/dents, if it’s not seen could a touch up scratch/paint Pen found in many car part outlets for around £8 be worth a try.

example Halfords £8.49 Ford black

#87743 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Dave out of interest is it visible when the boot is closed? The reason I say this is when checking the car over for damage it’s they usually only check over and mark down external visible marks/dents, if it’s not seen could a touch up scratch/paint Pen found in many car part outlets for around £8 be worth a try. example Halfords £8.49 Ford black

Hi JS,

Yes, sadly it is visible (about 2.2cms) when the boot is closed.

I did speak to someone at Europcar (in general terms) and their ‘marker’ for wear and tear is ‘is it bigger than a 10p piece’. If yes – reportable. If no – not reportable.

Sadly it is just slightly bigger.

I would try a self paint job lke you have illustrated but bearing in mind I got an ‘E’ in O-level Art, my painting skills are non existant!

I will try and speak with Motability if I get chance today. I got rather bogged down at work yesterday and didn’t get chance to ring them.

Thanks anyway.

Dave

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Damaged car loading wheelchair?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: