Caravan towing

• Creator
    Topic
    mike325112
    Participant

Hi all,

We’re about to order a new motability car and we are also thinking of getting a caravan. Does anyone have any recommendations as to good towcars which are availiable on the scheme (ideally below £2k AP)?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      wmcforum
      Which Mobility Car

@mike325112 Lots of knowledge on this subject within the forum. I guess the first place to start is how big is your intended caravan?

The most important figure is the Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) this will be in KG and on a plaque near the bottom of the door of the caravan, or you can simply look it up.

mike325112
        Participant

We’re looking at somewhere around the 1700kg mark, but we’ve not bought it yet, so we could go lighter if needed.

wmcforum
          Which Mobility Car

We’re looking at somewhere around the 1700kg mark, but we’ve not bought it yet, so we could go lighter if needed.

Blimey – That’s a whopper.

Participant

Can personally recomend Nissan X Trail E power E4orce.  Find it better than my previous AWD diesel Kuga, 7 seat has limit of 1650kg, 5 seat like mine 1800kg limit. More comfortable and smoother than my Kuga was.

Cars On Motability
              2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
              2012 Vauxhall Antara
              2013 Skoda Superb Estate
              2016 Seat Alhambra
              2020 Seat Tarraco
              2021 Ford Kuga
              2024 Nissan X-Trail

Robert88
              Participant

The x trail is probably double the AP that Mike would prefer.

kezo
                Participant

The MG HS has a braked towing capacity of 1750kg according to practical caravan and is well within your budget.

Seat Ateca has a braked towing capacity of 1700 -2100kg and depending on the model is well within your budget.

Oscarmax
                  Participant

We have tow a caravan with our Mobility lease car for many years, you will require permission from Mobility and permission to fit a tower, this has to be manufacture, dealer or a VAT registered towbar fitting company you will have to inform Mobility insurance company who check back with Mobility.

You are only allowed to use Mobility approved RAC for recovery, the offer RAC Arrival for an additional £65.00, you are not allowed to use any other recovery company.

In the event of an accident your towbar is not covered, it’s your responsibility.

I would check with Mobility insurance company I am assuming they will not insure your to tow over 100% of the kerb weight. RAC will not recover your caravan if you tow over 100%.

If this is your first caravan I would recommend  as mall to medium caravan around 1200 -1500kg and not towing over 85% of your kerb weight.

A Ford Kuga FHEV £1995, it is a excellent tow car good reviews on Practical Caravan reviews, and excellent reviews from the Ford Kuga Owners Club forum you are looking at 50+ mpg solo and 30 mpg towing as good as any diesel, plus a towing weight of 2100kg.

Alternatively Ioniq 5 EV can tow up to 120 miles on a full charge.

Participant

Oscar as you say has to be RAC to recover car, but nothing stopping you having Greenflag Mayday to recover caravan which has no size or weight limits above being legal to tow.

Cars On Motability
                      2012 Vauxhall Antara
                      2013 Skoda Superb Estate
                      2016 Seat Alhambra
                      2020 Seat Tarraco
                      2021 Ford Kuga
                      2024 Nissan X-Trail

Oscarmax
                      Participant

Oscar as you say has to be RAC to recover car, but nothing stopping you having Greenflag Mayday to recover caravan which has no size or weight limits above being legal to tow.

Mobility will not allow AA, Greenflag or Mayday to recover their vehicles, plus Mobility RAC Arrival will recover both vehicle and caravan is only £65.00  no size and weight limit, if on holiday and your vehicle breakdown with 50miles of your caravan site they will recover both car and caravan.

kezo
                        Participant

Do you still have to be a member of the caravan club to get Mayday?

Participant

I believe so Kezo to get the discounted rate as green flag ordinary caravan cover is more than Mayday. I used to be with RAC Arrival Motability till about  a decade ago when they stopped doing it as an addon. I  hadnt realised they had put it back as on option again something i will look into again next year. Following is the wording from Motab FAQs 

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatar photoHoneyMonster.

Cars On Motability
                            2012 Vauxhall Antara
                            2013 Skoda Superb Estate
                            2016 Seat Alhambra
                            2020 Seat Tarraco
                            2021 Ford Kuga
                            2024 Nissan X-Trail

wmcforum
                            Which Mobility Car

@mike325112

It can seem daunting to add a caravan to the Motability mix but don’t be put off. Personally, I have travelled all over The UK, France and Spain with my Motability car towing my caravan, even had to be recovered in France when the car failed. Would I do it all again?  In a heartbeat.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.