BMW i3 anyone ordered?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ian 5 days, 4 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #82412 Reply

Renrahs

Hi all, am I correct in assuming that if you haven’t got a drive or off road parking you can’t order the new i3? As Motability insist on installation of the charger.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #82413 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i would assume so but best to ring them. it would be awkward to have to rely on public chargers depending on the numbers near you. there are very few around here so it would be very difficult without a charger at home.

ive checked with my landlord and he has said i can get one fitted ive just got to try and see out the 12 months left on current lease as i could do with the gcb towards the ap.

#82414 Reply

Philjb

You would need some form of charging near home?

do you have any on street charging points in your street or nearby? That’s what you would need or you’ll have no way of charging.

#82416 Reply

mitch
    Participant

you can use the trickle charger in a normal 3 pin socket but its slow and there have been cases where people living in terraced houses parking even directly outside the house have been pulled up by the council for running cables over the pavement. and of course snotty neighbours objecting etc even when people have used the proper cable covers and h&s signs etc.

#82417 Reply

Renrahs

I have 2 public charging points less than 5 minutes walk away from me. My concern is, is the i3 even an option or am I unelegible because I live in a terraced house?

#82420 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I’m sure it was posted previously that it was a requirement to be able to park off street and to have a home charger. Couldn’t find the post but I’m pretty sure it was a cut and paste from motabilities website.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

#82421 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Found this on motabilities website.

“A charging point will need to be fitted outside your home by the car manufactures chosen electric partner, for example British Gas. In order to have a home charging point fitted you will need to have access to off-road parking, such as a private driveway or garage”.

#82428 Reply

Renrahs

Thanks all, I did think as much. Just wanted confirmation.

#82429 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Renrahs things change, without notice, on the “not fit for purpose website”, so I suggest you give them a call and see what the current policy is.

#82433 Reply

solent60
    Participant

Renrahs – as I said on a post yesterday ; it’ll be some years yet before many buyers without their own driveway consider buying an EV. The infrastructure isn’t there yet & needs major investment by the government. Electric car design/production is moving quickly. One can only hope that the government move even quicker!

#82442 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Solent I try to give informed honest opinions and try not to generalise too much, although that can be difficult.

Running an electric car won’t be the same for everyone, if you have a home charger then great, if not you need to look at the charging facilities near you. I have a drive so I could charge at home, but there are also 4 chargers within 2 miles.

So the infrastructure might not be great for everyone but decisions need to be based on an individual basis.

#82444 Reply

solent60
    Participant

Solent I try to give informed honest opinions and try not to generalise too much, although that can be difficult. Running an electric car won’t be the same for everyone, if you have a home charger then great, if not you need to look at the charging facilities near you. I have a drive so I could charge at home, but there are also 4 chargers within 2 miles. So the infrastructure might not be great for everyone but decisions need to be based on an individual basis.

That was my point exactly in my post above ; many drivers will be put off EV’s – at this moment in time – because the infrastructure isn’t there. Neither will it be there for some time yet. If you don’t have a driveway, then there’s no point – yet – in obtaining a electric vehicle… not unless you want to drive a few miles to a charge point, grab a coffee/go shopping for 45-minutes while it recharges, and then drive back home again. That’s assuming (of course) that when you get to the charge point – loads of other EV drivers don’t all have the same idea at the same time!

I appreciate the ever-increasing popularity of EV’s and fully understand that, one day, we’ll all be driving them. But at this exact moment in time – a lot needs to happen in order to tempt us to switch to electric – especially if you have to park in the street/on the road. It just isn’t viable.

#82446 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I’m not saying you are wrong, your situation is specific to you. As I’ve said many times your local council get paid a grant to install street chargers. I would imagine disabled people applying to their council for a lamppost charger to be fitted would receive a positive response.

I had another look at my situation and I have three charging points within walking distance.

A number of companies are fitting charging points at work and restaurants and supermarkets are also fitting them for public use. The supermarkets are very interesting as many people do a shop of half an hour maybe once or twice a week. During this time a fast charger would give most people enough range for a weeks driving. Couple it up with lunch at the supermarket and you have a full battery.

So the point I am making is that with a little work on each of our parts we can establish if an ev can work for us and that may be different from me and you.

#82473 Reply

crippleddad
    Participant

For what its worth, I was told today when I test drove that the prices for the advanced payment will ‘increase significantly’ once they have ‘ enough on the road’.

Whatever that means, or whether or not the salesman was trying to get me to sign on the dotted line right away.

#82520 Reply

Philjb

I would be stuffed if I had to charge my car 2 miles away on the street, I’d need a cab there and back, creating more co2 and the cost would be more then the charging cost.

#82615 Reply

Shawn
    Blocked

The i3 is not being replaced and it is 6 years old”I” would guess they are using up all the parts to get rid. Come 2020 we will all be wondering what the lack of EV’s was all about.

East Yorkshire.
    Still looking for an EV I can get my wheelchair in or has not got a ridiculous AP!

#82701 Reply

Ian

About to hit the buy I3s button……….its very small, but the savings in fuel, environmental impact will be significant. I do fancy an upgrade to the audio but always wonder whether its worth it.

The trim levels are quite interesting aswell!

#82707 Reply

mitch
    Participant

i am almost certainly going for the i3 when my lease is up, im fortunate that i only need an auto with a higher seating position and dont need a huge boot and lots of passenger room so its ideal. i just hope the ap comes down or stays the same.

i think the basic atelier trim is fine and dont see the benefit of the s version, fatter tyres lower suspension a bit quicker 0-60 but a range reduction. upgrades to hifi ive never really gone for as  most of the time it just seems a lot louder rather than better quality sound. i just dont see it as a good investment.

#82714 Reply

Ian

Mitch thanks for your reply the hifi is very basic I think in the i3 just 2 door speakers so the improved hifi offers significant improvement.

I managed to borrow an i3s interior identical to the i3 but much improved on the outside. The base trim is nice and I do wonder if I should upgrade. Parking sensors are a must I think and a charger that works with my solar panels….

#82726 Reply

mitch
    Participant

ah i admit i havent got as far as test driving one, but looking at the brochure for the upgrade it says a speaker is in the boot space which aint big anyway so i think i would pass on that if it takes up space.

the only trim upgrade i would consider is the suite (leather) the other 2 dont float my boat and thats only available on the i3 and the ap is a bit over my budget although i have a year to save, hopefully ap will come down rather than go up. the base atelier i like anyway so i think the cost at the time will decide.

the home charger has been confirmed as free, or do you need an upgraded one for solar panels?

our bmw dealer was offering 24/48 hr test drives hopefully that will still be available next year and i can test the hifi.

#82728 Reply

Tomas (Tomas)

I’ve driven one and thought it was great.

The Harmon Kardon hi-fi is good if you like your music, but I didn’t think it was as good as the Bose system that’s in my son’s car. I’m not a great fan of the standard BMW hi-fi sound. It’s like a cheap stereo.

#82731 Reply

Ian

Thanks again I’ll check the speaker in the boot for the premium audio I don’t remember it being there in the test drive car I think the car charger supplied is the one which works with the solar panels but again I need to confirm.

Colour is also going to be an interesting aswell Darth Vader or Stormtrooper…….

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: BMW i3 anyone ordered?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: