Automatics becoming more popular.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #99686 Reply
    DBtruth

It might be because more new cars are being released with auto transmission only. Especially electric and hybrids.

#99693 Reply
    Charles G

I really like driving a manual car but I want a hybrid so happy to make the switch. If technology keeps improving at the rate that it is I doubt I will own a manual car again.

#99694 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

I don’t need an automatic, but I’d never have a manual again.

Even my holiday rentals are all autos now.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#99697 Reply
    Winston

Even if I was physically able I would never want to go back to manual, didn’t have any problems when I was capable

but autos have came a long way over the years and it makes driving a breeze now, prob a bit safer aswell for newer or nervous drivers too

Was racking my brains trying to think of a slogan along the lines of

once you try black, you don’t go back lol

but in an auto/manual gearbox context

I was racking my brains

#99704 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Probably due mainly to an aging population the rise in automatics I would have thought?

#99705 Reply
    Mike

I’ve waited 30 years for this as passed test in automatic car

#99708 Reply
    Dave h

Set your left leg free go dsg

#99759 Reply
    Winston

Haha I like it Dave 🙌🏻

#99794 Reply
    Colin
    Participant

I had a work colleague years ago who had an automatic 3.0 Opel Monza – once a week he’d borrow his wife’s fiesta and drive around at 30 mph flicking between 3rd and 4th and back over and over just because he missed changing gear lol

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

#99797 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Its already happened elsewhere. I grew up in NZ, most cars were manuals, much the same as here. Now, just try to rent a manual at the airport, you can’t, they are all autos, even the tiny ones.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#99826 Reply
    JS

I drive both but only ever stall the Manual lol.

#99836 Reply
    BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

I changed to auto about 10 years ago. Never looked back and now I really need it! In a traffic jam they are an absolute Godsend.
    I find the BMW gearboxes to be absolutely awesome with seamless changes.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#99837 Reply
    Mike

My dsg gearbox in my golf is perfection

#99839 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

While you can be lazy driving an auto you can also drive it in much the same way as a manual just without having to use a clutch, after all most auto gearboxes are really “semi-auto” with a full auto mode(CVT not counted as it’s crap, personal opinion) but when using them in manual mode either with the shifter or paddles is just about as involving as driving a manual.

Having the option to drive this way when you have leg problems is great as it keeps you more active on long drives, I tend to switch to “M” on my journeys once I get into traffic or country lanes/built up areas etc and leave in “D” for the long motorway stretches, really makes a difference to your journey.

#99930 Reply
    Olpk

Historically manuals are more common due to better fuel consumption.

But with modern automatics equal or better there is no separation.

#99947 Reply
    Rob

Frustratingly I just put my car in for its MOT. They car needed a new light which would take 3 days. Ok no problem – I called motability to organise an automatic courtesy car. They put me on to the RAC who use Europcar.

The only automatic  they could offer me was a bloody 9 seater Ford Tourneo!!!!! The lady at Europcar said it was that or nothing ☹️ She was aware that I have a disability. So I have felt like a man with a van these past few days and feel really uncomfortable driving it. I called RAC to complain but to no avail.

I really do not understand why even today there is still a problem when providing an automatic courtesy car ☹️

#99950 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Rob I had order automatic car at local VW dealer took 2 werhs to get in only had it for day while my golf had software update

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#99959 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Frustratingly I just put my car in for its MOT. They car needed a new light which would take 3 days. Ok no problem – I called motability to organise an automatic courtesy car. They put me on to the RAC who use Europcar. The only automatic they could offer me was a bloody 9 seater Ford Tourneo!!!!! The lady at Europcar said it was that or nothing ☹️ She was aware that I have a disability. So I have felt like a man with a van these past few days and feel really uncomfortable driving it. I called RAC to complain but to no avail. I really do not understand why even today there is still a problem when providing an automatic courtesy car ☹️

Just how long does it take to change a light and how many technicians do they need to do it. 😁

I got caught back in 2011 when I was rear-ended with an unsuitable replacement car and again last February when I was rear-ended again but armed with the previous experience of being palmed off I told Motability straight that my car will not be going anywhere until a replacement is brought to my door and I’ve examined its suitability and they could have the car repaired at the end of lease as far as I was concerned. Took a week but they came with a perfect replacement.

This is a real big problem for we Motability customers who drive ourselves with no other drivers on the insurance that and with the car needing adaptions too.

It’s as though Motability think were shaming it and we can get by with bog standard off the shelf hire cars and when you think of it most, if not nearly all the Motability staff are themselves disabled in one way or another and should know better.

#100047 Reply
    Simon

My local dealer informed me that the Golf GTE will be joining the scheme next quarter with an AP of £1849.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Automatics becoming more popular.
Your information: