999 experience

• Creator
    Topic
    Rich44
    Participant

Got to say how disappointed I was with this on a “normal” weekday between Christmas and New Year.

Wife woke up with her pulse at 140 and wouldn’t come down, we tried the vagus nerve reset trick shown before and did nothing. Meanwhile with a high pulse your BP can crash causing unconsciousness very fast.

Call 999 after a few questions about os she conscious, breathing etc I was told.

“We’re too busy to help go to your GP or call 111”

For someone experiencing cardiac issues…

Not impressed has we followed that advice could’ve been real problems. Took her to A&E despite being busy they triaged her INSTANTLY because of the cardiac nature. Bloods were taken, cannula fitted etc all within 10 minutes.

Then it was waiting for results unfortunately they couldn’t figure it out so she was there all day but they threw every test they had at her.

Sent home at 8pm with appt to go back to surgical assessment 8am following morning.

Long and short the small failed hernia op she had 12 years ago failed and is now a problem for one

Secondly she also had the start of a lung infection. Got referral for surgery there and then plus prescription for antibiotics.

Hospital was amazing, 999 very poor imagine if that had been the start of a cardiac event….

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Sorry to hear that.

Jojoe
        Participant

Rich, Mrs Joe has episodes of tachycardia where her heart rate goes as high as 180 for hours on end. It was happening every few months, we’d ring an ambulance and they’d take us to A&E, all bloods were normal as were heart scans. She eventually discovered she has a severe allergy to caffeine. She totally avoids it now, but she did get “spiked” by a careless barista last year after ordering a decaf coffee, ambulance took an hour and 15 minutes to arrive, when it did turn up it was on blues and two’s! She has a pack of beta blockers on standby. I do feel for you as it’s very scary when it happens.

MFillingham
          Participant

Wow that sucks.

I know when I had paramedics around for my back they were keen to get me moving then gone.  999 referred me to 111 who then sent an ambulance anyway.

I hope your Mrs comes through it all.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
            I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

BigDave
            Participant

Its not just the ambulance service, the Police are just as starved of resources.

Late last year, one of our neighbouring farmers saw two individuals with a tipper lorry, fly tipping on a private road on his land. He proceeded to block the road (and their escape) with his tractor.

As he had been instructed in the past by the police, he contacted the police but was told it would be ‘a few hours’ before they could get there.

So, he shouted up on farm watch  (our local farmer’s radio system) and within minutes he had ‘posse’ of seven farmers (including myself) in an assortment of farm vehicles with him.

As the fly tippers started to get a bit arsey, one or two shotguns were discharged (above their heads) and the tippers bravely ran away.

One of the telehandlers with its  bucket was used to reload the tipped rubbish back onto their lorry – during which the lorry’s tipping hydraulics ‘somehow’ became damaged. So, it won’t tip again without serious attention!  Two of the tyes also became flat!

For good measure, as it was nowhere near a watercourse, we also pumped 800 litres of liquid cow slurry through the lorry’s cab window into the cab!

The lorry disappeared the following day – from the tracks, it looked like it was towed away by another lorry. The aroma of cow slurry remained though.

The Police never got back to our neighbour who reported it.

Moral of the story, don’t relay on the police (and don’t fly tip on a farmer’s land)!

Rich44
              Participant

Thing with police is they make a choice to do this because it’s more profitable to attack other areas like driving around collecting anpr pings. That’s a crime detected and solved it really helps with their crime stats.

I’m not saying they aren’t starved of resources of course they are always are under the kind of government we’ve got now but they make matters worse by their priorities.

In my experience most rural residents sort stuff themselves. We’ve had no end of neighbour issues as most of the road is ex council except about 5 houses and a certain miserable old lady hates council tenants. For years they had a policy of selling these homes, we did an exchange to get this and she went bonkers as she thought it’d be sold. Had police out so many times on a little old lady with a big potty mouth.

I like the old method of getting police out. Call police report crime get the sorry we’re busy reply. Call back and say don’t worry we’ve shot them, take your time.

When police turn up in huge numbers and are surprised they’re still alive and say “I thought you said you’d shot them?” And you reply saying “I thought you said you were all busy….”

lol

kezo
                Participant

Its not just the ambulance service, the Police are just as starved of resources. Late last year, one of our neighbouring farmers saw two individuals with a tipper lorry, fly tipping on a private road on his land. He proceeded to block the road (and their escape) with his tractor. As he had been instructed in the past by the police, he contacted the police but was told it would be ‘a few hours’ before they could get there. So, he shouted up on farm watch (our local farmer’s radio system) and within minutes he had ‘posse’ of seven farmers (including myself) in an assortment of farm vehicles with him. As the fly tippers started to get a bit arsey, one or two shotguns were discharged (above their heads) and the tippers bravely ran away. One of the telehandlers with its bucket was used to reload the tipped rubbish back onto their lorry – during which the lorry’s tipping hydraulics ‘somehow’ became damaged. So, it won’t tip again without serious attention! Two of the tyes also became flat! For good measure, as it was nowhere near a watercourse, we also pumped 800 litres of liquid cow slurry through the lorry’s cab window into the cab! The lorry disappeared the following day – from the tracks, it looked like it was towed away by another lorry. The aroma of cow slurry remained though. The Police never got back to our neighbour who reported it. Moral of the story, don’t relay on the police (and don’t fly tip on a farmer’s land)!

This Teesedale farmer tickled me a couple of year ago!

Gee
                  Blocked

Before my last operation the nurse wanted to know if I could give them a contact number in case of an emergency. I said, “999.”

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.