Insurance warning, read before ordering extras

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  rox 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117253 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Extras and options are not VAT free unless they’re essential for your use of the vehicle.

Also, such extras and options which are added at the time of ordering are not covered by RSAM insurance.

Smallcar

Participant
    TonyD

How does what you say in second para work?

In an extreme case if you paid extra for premium paint colour and had an accident would you not be covered for cost of paint in re spray?

Just a thought.

July 2, 2020 at 8:20 am #117249 REPLY | QUOTE

TonyD
    Smallcar… don’t know for sure, I’m just going on the RSAM policy exclusions list.

Much the same as if someone puts a hammer through your Panoramic Sunroof you’ve paid £1,000+ extra for, the wording is that it’s not covered.

They are covering the vehicle as per the Motability reference number, not the £000’s of extras added to it.

July 2, 2020 at 8:29 am #117250 EDIT | REPLY | QUOTE

Smallcar

Participant
    Yes, TonyD, a warning to everyone:-

from RSA policy, exlusions

equipment or modifications

This means any optional extras, audio or other equipment fitted to the car, which are not essential to enable you to use the vehicle. If you have fitted essential equipment without the agreement of Motability and RSAM, this will not be covered.

Author
    Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117258 Reply

TonyD

In an attempt to clarify the position, I have been onto Motability live-chat.

The agent there didn’t know whether factory fitted options are covered or not, and gave me the link for RSAM live-chat; stating they are the ones who cover the cars.

The agent at RSAM didn’t know, and told me to contact Motability; as it’s their car and they will agree to any options.

When pressed further, and when quoting the relevant paragraph, confirmation was that “Anything you fit without Motability’s consent is not covered” and also “Motability will only agree optional extras that benefit the user” and then “If Motability deem the optional extra you choose as not essential, they will not approve it, therefore it will not be covered”

So. Beware, and check before-hand.

#117265 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Common sense would tell me that the ‘equipment or modifications’ refers to items other than manufacturer, factory fitted options as these will be covered under the insurance group of the model of that car.

i.e. factory option Wheels = Covered
    Halfords wheels = Not covered

If that isn’t the case, and as your query to Motability and RSAM only resulted in having the paragraph repeated back to you, then buckle in Motability because your email in-box is going to go into meltdown with requests for factory option paint/tints/packs/mats/boot liner/etc/etc!

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#117270 Reply

roly
    Participant

I agree – given that Motability give us free reign to add extras at the time of purchase then implicitly they are giving their consent, and therefore should be covered.

#117271 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

It does say ANY optional extras.

So only my floor mats then!!

#117272 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

I didn’t think you had added any optional extras to your vehicle Smallcar.

#117278 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

This is quite clear to me.
    I suppose it could, as per all insurance policies, be considered ambiguous but I’m happy that any factory fitted options are covered.

What’s covered by your policy
     Repair or replacement of glass
     In-car equipment (such as a radio or CD player) permanently fitted or supplied with
    the car as standard
     Any accessories or tools supplied with the car

https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.uk/pdf/whats-covered.pdf

#117288 Reply

TonyD

“…I’m happy that any factory fitted options are covered.” But they’re not.

They’re only covered IF they are approved by Motability when you request their permission to be added.

#117311 Reply

roly
    Participant

Motability allow adding and paying for factory options without requiring their explicit consent. Implicitly, therefore, they are approved.

#117330 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Correct roly and at the end of the day they approve the order.

#117335 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

“…I’m happy that any factory fitted options are covered.” But they’re not. They’re only covered IF they are approved by Motability when you request their permission to be added.

Interesting. So by this reckoning and under RSAM’s ‘Conditions…..to Pay’, all cars on the road, where the Motability customers ticked mats, leather, rear tints, etc are actually uninsured as any claim would constitute a Fraudulent Application due to these modifications not being agreed at the start of the policy?

If this was true, surely Motability would have a warning that factory options need to be presented to RSAM for approval.

#117352 Reply

TonyD

If you believe that, then so be it.

I was just quoting what I was told this morning by an agent of RSAM, then Smallcar quoted the exclusions paragraph from their terms and conditions.

#117359 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

Fair enough. 👍

#117372 Reply

JS

to simplify things every Motabiliity Vehicle has a VTN (ref number)  that VTN covers that individaul model and standard optional extras (blanket approved by Motability) RSA covers the vehicle based on the vtn which identifies the vehicle (every model variant has a different vtn) No optional extras can be added that would change the vtn.

All atermarket add ons require approval from Motability.

#117386 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

In simple terms whats not on your car order that’s approved by motability isn’t covered.

#117391 Reply

BionicRusty (Wayne)
    Participant

@JS Thank you. That’s brilliant.
    Clearly even RSAM staff do not understand this as I’ve just asked a pointed question of them regarding factory options and been given exactly the same response that Tony received. I certainly won’t be asking them anything again.
    I was actually going to eat some humble pie 🥧 but you’re info means I’m going to go hungry. 🙏

Either way, the policy is ambiguous but you learn something new every day. Who’d have thought that if you give you’re insurance company your registration and bought insurance, you MAY not be insured as some do ask for all options to be approved.

I’m just going to take the F1 spoiler and low rider suspension off my X1. 😳

Joking by the way.

#117395 Reply

Smallcar
    Participant

Excellent, that seems to clear things up.

#117396 Reply

roly
    Participant

I agree insurance is an ambiguous business. I once swapped the alloy wheels on my (privately owned) Freelander 2 and being the good boy that I am I duly notified my insurance company….who didn’t even want to record the change on my record.

#117420 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

I’ve had similar in the past roly, especially when it came to in car entertainment.

#117426 Reply

Macca
    Participant

I asked motability today if a full leather interior upgrade option in an XC40 R Design would be covered in the event of a write off or theft for instance, and they said yes it would be covered because it would be factory fitted.

But when I asked earlier in the year if metallic paint would be covered, when that was a chargeable option, they said no, it would be replaced with solid black.

Is that clear?

#117430 Reply

roly
    Participant

I would suggest that they were wrong to say that the metallic paint wasn’t covered. It is a factory option that is included on the order form.

#117431 Reply

JS

our vehicles would look a bit silly if RSA started sticking to their wordings which can be confusing. imaging collecting your car from the repairers following an accident and they have replaced the say passenger seat and door and wheel, but replaced it with the standard paint and cloth seat  yet as an option you paid for when ordered the car special paint and leather. or worse as a extras pack the wheel size where 19″ yet they replaced the one with standard 18″.

luckily the common sense approach is used

#117435 Reply

rox
    Participant

By Mb agreeing to your application any extras opted for will be covered as they own the car.. With the agreement Mb has with rsa not us the actual leaser.

If you damage the interior it will not be covered or ones own possessions left in the car are not covered either. any addons after signing the pin that not authorised by MB and recoreded with rsa will not be covered..

it’s a 3 party agreement not just between us and rsa or mb and we not privy to all the agreement MB has with rsa.. thats my understanding of the contract and the law..

#117773 Reply

Michael

Hi, Just as a caution, if you have installed hard wired a dash cam on a motability car according to motability you could invalidate your insurance as they do not agree to this. Being done.

#117782 Reply

martino

Like all insunce  you do not find out till you make a claim any excuse not to pay out

#117789 Reply

Susan

It’s going to be interesting to find out what accessories have to be approved when they phone me. It indicates that any have to be approved so phone holder, 12v adapter, floor mats… air freshener? I knew they wouldn’t allow a hard wired dash cam as I asked them a while ago but even if you plug one in the 12v socket it would need approving.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Insurance warning, read before ordering extras

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: