Xc40 t5 phev

• Creator
    Topic
  • #148309 Reply
    Gary

So, after cancelling the touran, just in time for mercedes to pull the Premium Plus spec we are now looking at the XC40 phev. Daily commute is just shy of 40 miles round trip so would expect to be able to get decent mpg.

Inscription  Pro seems to have the electric seats we need, I’d prefer privacy glass, but seems a waste of money really at 350. The main thing is, the full electric has a Google/android infotainment, does anyone know if the phev has the same, and if so does thst mean I could download audible and Spotify? Or would I need to pay out the 300 for Android auto compatibility?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #148310 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary, the Recharge T5 doesn’t have Android Automotive.  It has a Spotify app though but not Audible. We ordered last week and didn’t choose the privacy glass which we will get done locally for much less money. Advantage is an applied film tint keeps out the heat which factory tint doesn’t.

#148311 Reply
    Gary

Thanks Wigwam

Did you get any discounts? If so which dealer 🙂

#148312 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary. I checked with a few dealers and couldn’t get anything off the AP, but 10% off any extras. The only extra we chose was the folding rear headrests at £150.

#148328 Reply
    James

Do you mind me asking what colour you ordered, which dealer and did they give you an ETA

#148338 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

James, we ordered from Volvo Cars Poole, who were very friendly and helpful. We took both an R-Design and an Inscription for long test drives before deciding on the Inscription Pro.

They estimated 10 to 12 weeks, but we aren’t due to change until 31st July so if it goes longer (which it surely will – they’ve been placing many orders for the T5) it won’t matter.

We’ve gone for Denim Blue with the Blond interior. Would have liked Thunder Grey, but it’s not an option on the Inscription.

#148344 Reply
    James

Thanks and the blue does look really nice

did you notice when you took the r design out if it had the 20 inch wheels on? It’s the r design pro we’d be getting so they come standard.

#148347 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

James, yes the R-design we test drove was on the 20″ wheels and it crashed about too much at low speed for us.  One reason we chose the Inscription which has soccer suspension.

#148349 Reply
    James

Do you know if that was the same on the pro version

#148350 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

20″ is standard on the Pro and an option on the non-Pro.

If you download the price list from Volvo, it gives the specs and options.

#148351 Reply
    James

👍

#148355 Reply
    Gary

Do I need to get the Versatility Pack for Push Button start, I wasnt sure if that was just for the keyless entry part of it.

#148357 Reply
    James

The push start is standard, the pack you’ve mentioned is for to open the car and the kick boot opener, £450 for something that should be standard

#148363 Reply
    Gary

Thanks James.  TBH the only thing that I thought should be standard is Android Auto, alternatively, the infotainment that the full EV has would be better, access to the Play store to install Waze and Audible 🙂

#148364 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

£450 for waving my foot under the back of the car while trying to balance on the other leg I can do without. Equally I’m able to press a button on the remote to unlock the doors. But each to their own…

#148365 Reply
    Gary

I always unlock with my key atm, but I’ve got so used to keyless start that I have tended to leave the key in the ignition and walk off on the few occasions I’ve had a car that needed a key!!

#148382 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Do any new cars still require a key in the ignition?

#148423 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Do any new cars still require a key in the ignition?

I might be wrong, but I think the Audi Q3 does. Certainly doesn’t have keyless entry, even as an option, which is very odd for a relatively new car.

#148425 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

So, after cancelling the touran, just in time for mercedes to pull the Premium Plus spec we are now looking at the XC40 phev. Daily commute is just shy of 40 miles round trip so would expect to be able to get decent mpg. Inscription Pro seems to have the electric seats we need, I’d prefer privacy glass, but seems a waste of money really at 350. The main thing is, the full electric has a Google/android infotainment, does anyone know if the phev has the same, and if so does thst mean I could download audible and Spotify? Or would I need to pay out the 300 for Android auto compatibility?

Gary – I considered the XC40 T5 and did quite a bit of research into it, including watching and reading lots of reviews. I don’t know if this makes much difference to your cost calculations, but the ‘actual’ all electric range of the Volvo is a lot less than quoted in real world driving. Most testers got around 17-20 miles max. The PHEV that seems to achieve its stated all electric range is the Ford Kuga PHEV (around 35 miles) and in real world tests (with both electric and petrol engines in use) seems to achieve more than double the mpg of the Volvo. Car Magazine did a very comprehensive review of the XC40 versus the Kuga and Peugeot 3008 and the Kuga was the winner. If you google it you will find it easily. In the end we decided that a PHEV wasn’t for us, but it was an interesting process reviewing them as they all seem to be very different, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

#148431 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s true, the Kuga has a bigger battery and in the test Glos Guy refers to the fuel consumption came out a lot better because the test mileage was quite low.  If I remember it was little more than double the battery range The first XC40 I test drove did 24 miles in hybrid mode, mostly town traffic, the second did 20 but that was taking it straight out onto a dual carriageway and 60 to 70 mph.  The battery size is quite small and the car is heavy.

The whole question of the economics of PHEVs is complex and very dependant on patterns of use. The cost of the initial electric charge seems rarely to be considered when a PHEV is said to do a particular mpg.  I suspect we’ll save on running costs with the Volvo we’ve ordered compared with our current X1 but it’s not the primary reason for choosing it.

#148563 Reply
    RachelK

I’ve got a Q3 S line now and mine has the standard key ignition. I’m looking for my next car now but need one with the push button start as standard as i cant use my right arm and reaching around the steering column is a right pain in the neck (and back)  – literally! Other than that, it has been a lovely car. I will be sad to see it go. It is the most comfortable car i’ve leased and the auto gearbox is really smooth and refined (2.0 TDI).

I did ask my Audi dealership if the new Q3 has push button start as standard and the answer was no. The dealer told me that this is due to Audi’s being high on the list for theft and apparently the keyless ignition software makes them much easier to steal. That applies to all the cars in the range.

I did have the option to have it as an add on but it is part of the ‘Comfort pack’ so would have cost me another £1250 which to be honest, I can’t afford or justify spending that amount of money. To be fair to the dealership they have been very good throughout my lease and even tried ringing around and speaking to our local adaptation’s centre’s to see if they could do anything to help.

Just a shame that I have to change but the Volvo inscription pro T5 is also on my list of possible cars.

Good luck with the search and if i don’t make sense, I apologise in advance – i’ve had a brain injury.

#148591 Reply
    Gary

@Glos Guy, tbh after having driven a Ford Galaxy for the last 3+ years I can’t cope with the drab interior for another 3 years. Plus I detest sync 3, and the way the infotainment screen looks like an after thought and just stuck on the dash 🙂

I saw a review that had the kuga as about 50% better than the xc40, but if I can get over 60 for my 35 mile round trip (still looking to see if there are charging options local to work) then that’s still 50% better than what I currently get.

Current thought is Inscription Pro with android auto option and climate for the heated steering wheel – though I’m wondering if I pre condition if that would negate the need.

#148596 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary, look for the folding rear headrest option.  Makes all the difference to rear visibility If there’s no-one in the back seats

#148650 Reply
    Gary

I’ll put these questions here so not to spam other threads:

@RachelK  How did you find the Inscription Pro?

@Wigwam
    The R-Design much worse than the Inscription Pro over dodgy surfaces then?  Also, Do the headrests not manually fold anyway, or do they only fold if you get the option?

#148652 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Gary, I hesitate to say the R-Design is worse. It depends on what you’re looking for. It’s much stiffer and flatter cornering. In our test drive it was caught out by road defects in a way our current X1 wasn’t and which the Inscription handled better.  The Inscription Pro has softer suspension and didn’t inspire so much confidence cornering at first.  For us though it’s a much better ride all round and suits the XC40 which is never going to be a sporty car in the way the X1 is.

The headrests are fixed, both front and back with no adjustment as standard (except for the centre rear one). The rears fold electrically with the £150 option, from a button on the centre display.  They fold out of the way with the back seats down too.

#148657 Reply
    James

Only my opinion but we preferred the r design seats and found them really comfortable and better than the inscription.

We also found the ride not to be perfect but overall really good and for us the style and it looks better on the r design.

Sadly sometimes there’s a compromise to be made but I’d certainly look and drive both versions

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
Reply To: Xc40 t5 phev
Your information: