XC40 T4 2.0 Auto – real world mpg?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #100045 Reply
    Macca

Hi all, so now the XC40 has been around for a while, I was hoping that those that have opted for the T4 auto, either in 2WD or AWD form, could share your real world experiences of fuel economy, and what if any niggles have you found with the car, as well as things that work well.

Cheers all.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #100156 Reply
    Macca

Back on the XC40, one thing I did get confirmed today, is that its not possible to upgrade the nubuck interior in the R Design to full leather. 🤨

#100174 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

24 mpg is diabolical.

I’m hoping you have deep pockets crippledad.

#100182 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

It’s shocking

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#100183 Reply
    Macca

That would be hard to live with

#100184 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I was considering the T4 next how come it`s so bad thats the same MPG as a rolls Royce ghost for gods sake. Surely there must be something wrong there.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#100188 Reply
    Andy
    Participant

That MPG figure is horrendous :/

#100192 Reply
    Macca

I’m curious to see if they add the T3 auto ‘Pro’ versions of the R Design and Inscription in Q1

#100193 Reply
    Philjb

That is truly shocking for a modern small turbo petrol engine, Just goes to show the weight of these larger cars is putting a massive strain on these small engines.
    so glad I never went for one now and stuck to a turbo diesel.

#100198 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

Yes I wish I had known this before hand. I barely drive anywhere thankfully other than to hospital and sons school. Did some motorway driving today and the needle barely moved so it’s fantastic on the motorway, awful “around town”.

#100199 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

Seems to need a burn in period according to this? And exactly what I’m seeing I’d be delighted with 40mpg!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/xc40/first-drives/volvo-xc40-t4-r-design-pro-awd-long-term-review

#100200 Reply
    Macca

So does the XC40 not have Adaptive Cruise Control as standard unless an expensive pack is added?

#100252 Reply
    Philjb

Only with the £1600 pack it looks like?

#100271 Reply
    Macca

Well, decided to call into our local volvo dealer and see it in the flesh. Very impressed with the quality of the materials, and think i was favouring the Inscription Spec over the R Design. Definitely feels a lot bigger than it is, and up close just looks really chunky. The seat felt much more comfortable at least over the 15 minutes I was sat in it in the showroom, than the XC60 seats when i tried that just over 3 years ago. Boot was bigger than expected with good space underneath the boot floor. The seat height was perfect for my wife getting in and out.

The downside, in addition to poor mpg on the T4 is that the ACC does indeed only come as part of an expensive pack. £1500 I simply would not pay.

May take one out in the new year, and see what we make of it. Glad we checked it out though.

#100304 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

That is truly shocking for a modern small turbo petrol engine, Just goes to show the weight of these larger cars is putting a massive strain on these small engines. so glad I never went for one now and stuck to a turbo diesel.

Absolutely Phil. I’m 100% with you on that one. About 7 yrs ago, we were duped into believing small turbo petrol engines were the way forward. I truly did not believe it and was proved to be correct. These small engines lugging around 2 tonne cars cannot return mpg to challenge diesel.

Just as a comparison to the 24 mpg quoted above, I used to run a 1990 3.0L, V6 petrol Jaguar and that returned 29 mpg average.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#100306 Reply
    Macca

Don’t forget its not a small engine, the T4 is a 2 litre turbo. Crippledad is suggesting he’s just got his and so being box fresh is probably driving the low mpg, but if you read Lawro’s post he’s broken his in and is getting 38mpg in a heavier AWD car.

I’ve been lucky in our 2.2 diesel as I only do 5000 miles a year and in 39 months haven’t had one DPF issue, but i do wonder if i’d be as lucky going forward in another diesel, hence being open minded on the next car.

#100312 Reply
    Lawro

It will improve crippledad. As I said earlier in the thread, mine wasn’t the best until it was run in at around 5,000 miles. It now consistently returns 30+ MPG around town and near 40MPG on a run which personally I feel is more than ample given the engine size, performance and size/weight of the car.

Even if the fuel economy hadn’t have improved, I would have still been more than happy as the engine really is that good. We have a 2017 190bhp 2.0TSI Audi A3 as a second car and that engine feels is awful in comparison.

#100368 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Fair point Macca in that it’s a 2.0L. 👍 I agree that the power is there, the T4’s are great re the power.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#100381 Reply
    Macca

Its definitely got my curiosity, having viewed an Inscription yesterday, gonna call to a different showroom today to view an R Design for immediate comparison.

I do prefer leather over suede, and so that feature in the Inscription really appeals, although that has a pale headlining. The Inscription that we saw yesterday was black and looked superb in the showroom, but when i saw the greasy fingerprints that we left on it after just 15 minutes, it just reminded me why I don’t like black cars.

I want to view an R Design to see how the charcoal headlining feels as I have light sensitive eyes. It may be enough to have me tolerate the half nubuck half leather seats.

Upside with the XC is that for a few quid more the Pro spec gives a lot of extras including the heated windscreen and washer nozzles, bendy healights, and extendable seat bases which could be useful for us as my wife is 4’10” but I am 6’2″, and finding a car to suit both heights can be tough.

Downside is that as I would not be prepared to pay £1500 for an option pack, we wouldn’t get adaptive cruise control only standard cruise.

The Tiguan R Line Tech would give us adaptive cruise, and fabric seats that I could live with,  as well as a dark headlining, but VW confirmed today that an electric heated windscreen is not available.

I said on another thread a while back that i’ve an ideal wishlist, and time will tell whether we manage to get all the things we want. All good fun looking though.

#100382 Reply
    Mike

Picked up my r design pro t4 auto fwd yesterday and is showing an average of 36.2 mpg not too shabby! Will keep you updated

#100384 Reply
    Macca

Good to hear Mike, very encouraging

#100385 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Picked up my r design pro t4 auto fwd yesterday and is showing an average of 36.2 mpg not too shabby! Will keep you updated

That not bad for a medium size automatic 4WD SUV this time off the year, our Ford Kuga 2.0 Diesel 4WD powershift is around the 38/39 mark this time of the year.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#100393 Reply
    Simono

To all T3/T4 drivers out there, has anyone tried premium fuel like Shell Vpower?  I read somewhere that Volvo engines are optimised for such fuels and therefore deliver better mpg from bottom end torque.

#100400 Reply
    72 dudes

Ordered our XC40 T4 Inscription Auto in Denim Blue with blonde interior yesterday. Prepared for initial poor fuel consumption

However, our current Q3 1.4 TFSi auto has only averaged 36.5 over 15k miles (calculated properly, not just the onboard computer).

We deliberately avoided the Pro pack even though it is fantastic value for money, as we didn’t want 19″ wheels and lower profile tyres.

Apparently Volvo don’t have the flexibility to build an Inscription Pro with standard 18″ wheels! 🙄

We’re adding Winter pack and rear camera as the AP went down so much in this quarter. Delivery mid March.

No discount on AP or options, despite attempts to haggle. Mentioned Johnsons doing £100 off AP – sorry, we’re not doing that! We can sell every one and more.

#100402 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

72 dudes that`s the exact model and colour combo i was looking at although i was gonna go for the pro pack as well. Would love to see some pictures when it arrives in March.

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#100403 Reply
    72 dudes

Stuart it’s a great colour combination! I also liked Thunder and Stone grey but the boss said the former was too bright and the latter too brown!

Will post some photos when we get it.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 283 total)
Reply To: XC40 T4 2.0 Auto – real world mpg?
Your information: