XC40 T4 2.0 Auto – real world mpg?

This topic contains 283 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Roger 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #100045 Reply

Macca

Hi all, so now the XC40 has been around for a while, I was hoping that those that have opted for the T4 auto, either in 2WD or AWD form, could share your real world experiences of fuel economy, and what if any niggles have you found with the car, as well as things that work well.

Cheers all.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 283 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #100046 Reply

martino

hope it is good cause ordered one a few weeks ago

#100050 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

Reviews seem to say around 28-30 mpg.

#100053 Reply

Dragonfly

I crossed the XC40 off my renewal list, I spoke to an owner in a supermarket car park and he said he was only getting 28 mpg . I suppose the low mpg figure is due the weight of the XC40

#100057 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Omg that’s terrible

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#100065 Reply

James

I really like the xc40 and wish I’d held out for one even knowing that fuel consumption is poor, a guy up the roads got one and it looks fantastic but he says earlier 20’s mpg on a T4 r design pro with the 20’s which would be ridiculously expensive for me doing 18000 miles a year

#100066 Reply

Vinnie
    Participant

It’s top of my list, if it’s still on next year when I can order, on the XC40 forum they get between 28 to 40 mpg, on the fwd.

#100068 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

No wonder they put it on the scheme as I can’t see many private buyers going for one with those running costs.

#100070 Reply

Lawro

I’ve had a T4 XC40 for about 9 months now. For the first 4-5,000 miles the car refused to exceed 30MPG on a combined cycle which is far short of the advertised figure. In reality it was more like 28MPG.

I’m now sat on around 9,000 miles and the car is comfortably sitting at an average of 34.2MPG for the last 600 miles. In a recent 420 mile motorway trip, it returned 38.1MPG.

The general concenous is that the fuel economy improves after the first 5,000 miles of break-in, but its certainly not brilliant. I would say however that its an excellent engine – very smooth, quiet and a nice linear power delivery with plenty of punch.

For reference, mine is the 4WD model so would expect the FWD T4 to be very slightly better on fuel economy.

#100075 Reply

Elliot
    Participant

That is still poor Lawro especially given it’s not that fast.

#100078 Reply

Lawro

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It’s not meant to be fast though – It has ample power for its size and weight. It’s a big heavy car full of technology so it was never going to be brilliant on fuel.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: right;”>In fairness, its only a few MPG short of my old Tiguan R-Line TSI and the volvo engine is far more refined in comparison.</p>

#100079 Reply

Simono

Worth pointing out that for very low mileage users many cars struggle to get over 30mpg as the engine/gearbox fluids do not get up to temperature. I’ve been running a petrol Qashqai cvt for nearly 3 years, and on a decent run it has done 45mpg, but most days it’s around 28, especially in cold weather.

I’ve shortlisted 2 cars that were very different. Just ordered XC40 over bmw i3 despite similar ap and obvious fuel cost. Worth paying for the fuel in my opinion.

#100080 Reply

Lawro

Couldn’t agree more Simono. I was used to low 20 MPG for years when I had proper performance cars anyway so an extra 10-15MPG is a bonus for me.

It’s a fantastic car, you’ll really enjoy it. Out of interest what spec did you go for and what is the lead time now? I was waiting nearly 5 months for mine.

#100081 Reply

Simono

Lawro, gone for a high spec, 2 litre Inscription Pro geartronic FWD, with pan roof and winter plus pack.  They reckon build in feb and delivery to me by end March, so 3.5 months.

#100084 Reply

Lawro

Very nice, enjoy it!

I went for R-Design Pro T4 AWD with the Winter Plus Pack, Front Park Assist, B&O sound system and wireless phone charging. I’ve seen they don’t offer the AWD T4 Pro on Motability now.

Did you manage to get an discount on your options?

#100087 Reply

Simono

Nice car. I had an XC60 R Design AWD about 5 years ago, but it’s too big for us now. That was a great car which I bought and had the Polestar mod done. It was a beast for a big car. The idea was to keep it, but my wife’s condition worsened and we ended up selling it to buy a WAV.

#100088 Reply

Simono

Sorry Lawro, forgot to answer the discount question. Yes, I think I did well on the day. I got £500 off the deal.

#100095 Reply

Macca

Wow, lots of views there guys, but what i’m picking up on is it would take us a year to loosen the engine up based on 5k

#100101 Reply

Lawro

Realistically Macca, based on my experience, if you budget for 30MPG anything more is a bonus. Like I said above, it will improve slightly once the engine is run in but its not a drastic improvement – 5MPG at a push in reality.

If you’re only averaging around 5K a year, it’s not really worth worrying about. The car itself certainly makes up for the average MPG.

#100102 Reply

crippleddad
    Participant

I’m glad you asked. I’ve just collected this car. And the MPG is 24.1

it’s absolutely terrible,

#100106 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I fully expect the hybrid to be on the scheme early next year, both motability and local dealer info, so maybe worth waiting for that option. Of course we don’t know what the AP will be and it is a £42,000 car.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#100121 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Yes Brydo the hybrid be very economical especially short journeys in electric mode my next car will def be a hybrid

#100125 Reply

Macca

I do think we’ll check out the XC40 in the flesh at some point. The tricky thing is across the R Design and Inscription, in the ideal world I would probably want a cocktail of the two. I.e. i like the black headlining, wheels, black grill, and colour choices of the R, but prefer the leather of the Inscription over the alcantara of the R. But of course thats just not possible.

Having tried the Honda CRV recently, whilst its a good motor, its just not worth the AP in my eyes.

The ideal option for us woild be for Hyundai to add the Santa Fe to the scheme again. We just dropped on at the right time for our current Santa Fe as its very rarely been on the scheme over thr years.

Although theres talk of value caps on the scheme we constantly see examples of cars that are way over these caps, so theoretically at least a Premium spec Santa Fe could make it on if there was a desire from Hyundai and Motability to have it available.

Who knows, time will tell eh?

#100127 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

The hybrid 48v Hyundai Tucson looks fab will have a test  drive next summer

#100128 Reply

Macca

Yeah the Tucson has always been a good option. Funnily enough I was having another look at the N Line whilst at the dealer last week, but i’m still not taken with it as it has alcantara seats and I feel its a little light on spec.

The Premium SE auto is on at good money but the reports on the fuel economy of the 1.6 petrol turbo aren’t great. As for the Hybrid, its not available in the Premium SE on the scheme, only the Premium and over £3k is a big number if you’re not getting the top spec for that outlay

#100130 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Price of hybrid will drop like a stone this is Hyundai not BMW I can remember the ioniq at £2000 !!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 283 total)
Reply To: XC40 T4 2.0 Auto – real world mpg?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: