Xc40 picked up today.

• This topic has 211 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Brydo

Viewing 11 replies - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BionicRusty
      Participant

@Brydo, sorry for late reply. I zonked out.
        It was mainly 30-40mph roads with a mile or so of dual carriageway but it was so quiet. It started off bad but just kept getting better.
        Most of my trips are low to mid 30’s.

For the first time in about 20 years, both myself and my wife have petrol cars (Mrs Bionics is a Mercedes 1.6L). They’re both all but identical for fuel economy.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Brydo

@BionicRusty, no problem Wayne, I find stop start driving severely affects petrol consumption. I know that sounds a bit obvious but it does make for a severe reduction in mpg.

I have given the xc40 a hard time on the forum, relating to mpg and poor drivers seat comfort, and rightly so, IMO, but these apart it is a very nice car.

Getting mid to high 30’s would keep most people happy.

The air temperature is increasing, -8 last week +10 today so let’s see what difference that makes.

DaveW

I went petrol last car. 1.5 in a Kuga. Never again. Around 25-27mpg urban and maximum 35mpg driving motorway/ dual carriageway. Overall about 31mpg. I’m now back in a diesel but will happily go hybrid if and when a car on the scheme suits my needs.

BionicRusty
            Participant

@Brydo. Spot on. The stop/start is horrific.
              And I also agree about its downfalls. It’s a lovely car and I enjoy being in it and driving it. And I was more than pleasantly surprised with the torque of the engine. It’s more than adequate. But the drivers seat and some of the tech let it down. That said, I knew it was going to be a big shock coming from the TwinPower diesel BMW power plant and it’s roughly where I thought it would be. Low to mid 30’s.

@DaveW, I agree with you as well. I’d definitely go (proper) hybrid or EV as soon as something suits me and the infrastructure in North Wales picks up a little
              I owned a V6 petrol Jag in the early noughties and that used to return 26-28mpg. So 25-27 in a ‘modern efficient’ engine is horrific.
              No one should fall for the claims of petrol being efficient.
              The reason I’m in a petrol now was due to the maths. The extra cash needed for the AP’s of the diesel cars I’d have liked meant I’d pay more in the long run. For me, even with the poor mpg, over the three years, I’ll be quids in compared to the extra £1,500+ needed for the diesels that were available at the time.

The biggest issue for me, though, is the drivers seat. I’m praying that Volvo will sort but I’m not hopeful. I may spend the next few years on a cushion. 😐

On the plus side at the moment is that I’m back on heated seats. God, I’ve missed them. They really help. More than I realised now. And the entry/exit is perfect.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

Brydo

On the stop/start topic I have just returned from my routine 24 miles return journey, 36 mpg on the way there. On the way back I stopped at the shop, in and out in five minutes, before going in I was getting 41 mpg, came out started the car, drove the half a mile to my house, the mpg had dropped to 38.

Wigwam
                Participant

Is there any uphill/downhill element to it, Brydo?

Brydo
                  Participant

All downhill after the stop at the shop wigwam.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
                    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

vinalspin
                    Participant

It’s all down hill from here, we’re doomed I tell ya,,, doomed! 😁

brydo

A wee update £140 of fuel, 750 miles, car says 28.4 mpg.

Are you happier with the mileage now Brydo?

brydo

Not really Pops, wanting at least mid 30’s mpg but that looks unlikely. Maybe get that on a decent run but not on the short journeys we do.

Viewing 11 replies - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.