Xc40 picked up today.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #133154 Reply
    Brydo

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #139754 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yes wigwam i miss our diesel.

We are finacially comfortable but its putting me off using the car even though the cost is neither here or there.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#139756 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Not great Brydo. Our 2 litre X1 will do over 50mpg on a 60-65 mph mainly motorway journey. The last 300 miles of very short journey town driving shows 39.8mpg and an average speed of 29.1. That includes quite a bit of warming the car up for 5 to 10 minutes before setting off.

I would agree. 60mph on a motorway is absolutely optimal speed and conditions for maximum fuel economy and most modern cars would be in the 50-60mpg range in those circumstances I would think. 60mph is also quite slow for a motorway, so if you wanted to drive at the more normal 70-80mph range then it’s likely to be a lot less as well. When all is said and done, the XC40 is a relatively small car, and this model is only 2WD, so even with a fairly pokey engine it seems like terrible fuel economy. Out of interest, does anyone know what sort of mpg those with the T3 version are getting?

#139758 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The problem is the T4 engine. It’s cheap!  The BMW B48 uses variable valve lift and a twin scroll turbo to get the same output more efficiently.

#139784 Reply
    Azzy

I feel your pain, I haven’t driven much as I was in hospital having caught covid but over the last 50miles it’s averaging 25.2mpg. Freezing cold and London don’t help the matter

#139792 Reply
    Brydo

Azzy its really is shocking, you can actually see the needle falling as it sucks petrol.

#139797 Reply
    martinod

so the xc40 is rubbish fuel wise , if running cost is an issue to you the zc40 is no good

i was looking at awd version  think the mpg will be bad

#139799 Reply
    Brydo

Martinod the awd model will likely be even more thirsty.

#139801 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

So, eye watering AP’s, extremely poor mpg and uncomfortable seats. Is this not the model of SUV I read about that other manufacturers can only aspire to?

#139802 Reply
    Macca

It’s an odd one. We love our XC, but then after haggling a deal and taking off the good condition bonus we paid £899 down for it. Plus we do about 5k a year, so with those things considered, if we were in the market today we would likely be checking out other options, possibly Tiguan or Kuga.

#139803 Reply
    Brydo

Haha apart from those problems it’s a great car 🤪🤪🤪🤪

#139805 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

But if you’re only doing 5000 miles a year, should fuel consumption be the main consideration, Macca?  It wouldn’t be mine.

#139806 Reply
    Macca

Have to report our seats are fine in the R Design Pro.

#139807 Reply
    Macca

No, fuel isn’t the main consideration. But if we were in the market today, the now high AP would have me thinking twice.

AP and MPG aside one thing it never loses it the “oh yes” factor. That’s what goes through my mind whenever I look at it.

#139808 Reply
    martinod

i do the fuel 18/19k   a year so mpg is an issue , i wish i only did 5k a year

#139810 Reply
    Brydo

Martinod I don’t think the xc40 is for you. The diesel Tiguan would probably be a better option.

#139811 Reply
    Macca

Gotta admit the quirky interior in the new Tiguan R Line is growing on me 👍

#139812 Reply
    Azzy

Yes mpg is shocking I expected mid 30s but I don’t think I’ll be out much this year so petrol should be less of an issue, I’m in the position to afford it even if miles do increase but that’s not the point.

also, R design pro seats here, nubuck and leather no problems at all, took a while to get my seating position but all is good now.

I didn’t add reverse camera, I wish I did as the parking sensors are awful and slow but I’ve contact the dealer and they can retrofit it so I’ll be having that done.
    Standard sound system isn’t really good.
    It is a good car, if I had the option to choose it again would I? I’m not so sure.

#139815 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Azzy i`m the same but having a look at the cars on the scheme i dont see anything else that i would go for. We got the xc40 inscription pro for £2,200 plus £275 for paint, we recieved £900 GCB so all in £1575, looking at the scheme just now there is nothing in this price bracket (£2200) that catches my eye.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#139820 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

There are certainly compromises when choosing the XC40, it’s not cheap to run, isn’t the biggest car to fit all the family accoutrements, and has marmite styling. But, it did win a lot of awards for good reasons, it’s a very modern design, it has a great interior, it has powerful engines, and most importantly for lots of us, it’s really comfortable and safe to drive. The poor mpg was a known quantity, the figures are pretty much as I expected at 34.5mpg (just normal driving and comfort mode), and the seat issue seems to be confined to a bad batch of Inscription Pro models as my R Design Pro has extremely comfortable seats. Overall I think the XC40 has been a great choice for us, and I’m delighted with it!

I wouldn’t choose it if I were ordering today, thanks to the ridiculous jump in AP over the last quarter, and the availability of a much more reasonably priced Tiguan, but that doesn’t detract from the reasons why it’s a great car.

Finally, and to add to the mpg debate with a comparison, we also have an XC60 AWD T5 (same 2.0 engine but with 250hp) and it has averaged 31.7mpg over the 15000 miles we’ve run it. It took a while to break the 30mpg barrier but now it regularly gets 35’s on longer journeys (on the very rare occasions it gets one!).

#139843 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Well I’ve just had a belter of a drive. My controlled meds were not in so we had to travel out and the guzzler managed 39mpg.  If I could, I’d be skipping around. 🤣😂

Car was in Comfort Mode and aircon and heated seats were keeping our tushies warm. I’m sorry I didn’t run it in Eco now.

Happy Valentine’s Day. ❤️😘

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#139844 Reply
    Brydo

That’s great Wayne, was it motorway, town or mixed. Either way I’d be delighted with that.

#139884 Reply
    sif

Just a point on easy access for Glos Guy. My needs change fairly regularly so I always search for something with very easy access whatever I feel like. One thing I have noticed on my wife’s car and on a Citroen c5 aircross, she has a  Peugeot 3008, is that the french cars have electric seats with an extra big range of movement. So much so that I regularly have to warn rear seat passengers if I am moving back. It means access is very easy as they adjust widely up and down and reclining as well as going really far back. The other thing about the Citroen is that the front doors are  ‘cut’ out at the bottom, towards the front, so that you get a much wider opening door than is conventional.  They open wide as well. The cutout allows your feet even extra space. With wide, fairly flat seats movement in and out is easier too than with bucket, sports seats.

I did inquire in the past, with other cars,  about rejigging the seat connections to allow them to go farther back. There are firms that will do that if your wife needs a seat to be more adjustable.

#139886 Reply
    sif

Our situation is the same as your’s Brydo. We are financially comfortable. But, I can’t enjoy gas guzzlers no matter how I try. My wife takes the opposite view, that since we can afford it we should not make economy a consideration. I just can’t do it. Something inside me, just  makes me feel uncomfortable about wasting money. It’s not that there aren’t cars I would have that are heavy on fuel, but they would have to be special, and offer something out of the ordinary. I appreciate that the xc40 is a very nice car. But its poor mpg from a modern engine. What happened to cars getting better and better mpg, so that if you ran an old car you paid a fuel penalty?

Now we seem to have gone backwards, where you get a brand new car and its MPG is lousy.

#139887 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks sif. That’s useful info. Unfortunately, my wife has an illogical hatred of anything French, in particular their cars, so I never get very far on that front! I know that views on the looks of cars are entirely subjective and what is a good looking car to one person is pig ugly to another. Someone earlier mentioned the looks of the XC40 as being marmite. My wife likes the look of it but I really dislike the rear of it (as I do all current generation Volvo’s). I really like the look of the BMW X1 but my wife thinks that it’s side profile looks more like a boot (shoe) than an SUV! The only car that we both agreed on recently in terms of looks was a Kia Soul EV that we overtook the other day. I won’t say what we both said as a few people on here have them! I thought we might have landed on one that we both like the look of with the Audi Q3 until she said “I!m surprised that you like it, as I’d say it very much looks like a girls car”. As you can see, I am really up against it!

#139910 Reply
    Azzy

@brydo, When I ordered nothing could compare to the price of the XC40, the AP was £1999 but minus the GCB and £250 off at the dealer it was a no brainer.
    I had the previous XC60 d5 lux on the scheme and by far the best and most comfortable car I’ve had, yes there was a premium when it was released on the scheme but I’d pay it again in a heartbeat if they released it.

I find the XC40 good for space, I have a 13,8 and 3 year old and they can travel in comfort with 2 booster seats in the rear.

If anyone didn’t get the reverse camera, my dealer is charging around £640, just incase anyone didn’t order one like me. It would have been cheaper at order but I’ve done fine with just sensors before.

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 211 total)
Reply To: Reply #133356 in Xc40 picked up today.
Your information: