Xc40 picked up today.

• This topic has 211 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by brydo.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #133154 Reply
    Brydo

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136148 Reply
    John Orr

Hi folks,thanks for the replies ,not major issues ,as i said still more than happy with the motor ,just wished we had been told the basics at the time we ordered .

Geoff ,sure you will be pleased with your choice ,we ordered in late Aug 2020 ,when the upfront payment was £2199 ,now i believe its £3999 !

We also had 3 delivery dates “promised” which didn’t happen ,i asked the local dealer what was going on ,and he very helpfully said that he did not know when it was going to turn up ,so rang Volvo HQ and they were no help ,go back to your local dealer they said ,so emailed the head office both in UK ,and the factory in Belgium ,told them of the non existent customer service ,gave the order details etc ,that was on a Monday ,on Tuesday they emailed back ,and on Wednesday my local dealer [ who had never rung before ]  rang to say the car was in stock and ready to be picked up !!!!

So ,just a head’s up ,i am sure not everyone will have these issues but you never know

#136156 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Hi John,

I’m glad you’re enjoying. It can be confusing when viewing YouTube videos as most show well specced cars (as already mentioned) and also videos outside the UK can also show different standard specs. For example, the US and Canada get BLIS (Blind spot monitoring) as standard. Here, it’s an extra.
    I also had many failed due dates and my dealer actually said he didn’t like to give due dates!! And my keys were just dumped on the desk and I had to dig my car out of the compound. I wonder if your dealer is Chester as mine is?

I, too, ended up talking to Volvo direct and had exactly the same result. My car suddenly appeared when, at the time of another due date, I’d just been told by the dealer to expect another 3 month delay. From my discussions with Volvo over about a month, I am pretty sure that the dealer sold my first car and was about to sell the second when Volvo intervened.

That aside though, I love the car. Getting in and out is great, the heated seats really help, the ride cushions the bumps really well and of course it looks amazing.

The phone app took me a couple of days to sort but I got there eventually and I’m finding it really good. Much better than the BMW app of my previous car.

Hopefully, now that you have the car, the dealer experience will fade and you’ll start to use and enjoy your beautiful new ride.

On another note regarding the early MY21 cars only having one main key, I believe that Volvo have now relented and the Late MY21 cars now have two keys again. This leaves a batch of cars the road, produced mid-late 2021 with only one key.
    I have a case live with the Motor Ombudsman and so I’m hopeful I will receive another key soon.
    If we didn’t use the driver profiles for the settings, I probably wouldn’t bother but it’s a real pain, literally, only having the one.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#136195 Reply
    John Orr

Hi Rusty ,

We are based in South Wales ,so not the same dealer

We were given 2 keys by the way

#136324 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Hi John,

2 Black keys, or one black and one orange?

#136351 Reply
    Brydo

£60 of fuel 270 miles, really poor, would have got well over 500 miles from our much heavier diesel xc60.

#136367 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

@Brydo, I realise it won’t make a huge difference but have you checked the tyre pressures?

From the dealership, mine were on the very lowest of the spec (one was 1 psi under). I’m assuming the car didn’t throw up an error as they would have been ‘set’ within the TPS at this pressure.  I’ve got them at the ‘Eco’ pressure now. I always run my cars on the higher setting of the range.
    I’ve got a hospital visit today so will be interested to see how it gets on. 120 mile, round trip. It’s on reasonable B roads and about 20 miles on a 70mph A road(🤞). My old X1 did one trip, with a really smooth run, at over 60mpg! Only once though  😂 It generally returned less than than but nothing massively so.

John, same question as Bowly. Was it one black and one red? If so the red one is called a Care Key and won’t access the driver settings.

#136381 Reply
    John Orr

Hi Bowley

1 Black key

1 Orange key

#136386 Reply
    Brydo

Wayne as you say it might not make much difference but I will have a look.

#136417 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Ah, so the key situation is the same then. The orange one (which Mrs B loves btw!) is the care key and won’t allow a driver profile. Doesn’t bother us as we drive in almost the same position, but it’s just such a strange decision from Volvo to supply a key that doesn’t allow for all of the cars functions.

#136467 Reply
    Brydo

we were fortunate to get our xc40 for £2200 + £ 275 for white paint -£900 Good Condition Bonus but if you are pushing yourself to get an xc40 as your next car, and mpg is a factor, I would give it serious thought, especially if you do short journeys.

The short journeys I am doing are giving low 20 mpg, it is freezing out there and I’ve only had it a few weeks so things could change, but just a point to bare in mind.

#136557 Reply
    Martinod

Brydo low 20 omg that’s not good , what sort of miles would you do normally before COVID

#136558 Reply
    Brydo

Martinod we do between 8&10 thousand miles per year. The car itself is very nice. My first auto but it’s very smooth especially compared to our xc60 diesel. The seats are not as good as the xc60.

#136560 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Guys how much are the metallic paints? I remember reading ages ago on the forum it used to be free but they changed that? Eg metallic red pain on the r design pro

#136561 Reply
    Bowly101
    Participant

Volvo did start charging for the metallic paint but only for a relatively short period. It’s now included again, apart from the premium colours of white and blue. They’ll cost you the difference between regular metallic and premium which is £275. Tbh I think Volvo could do with some extra choices as the colour schemes are a bit, well, Volvo-ish. Skoda green would be nice 😀.

#136798 Reply
    crippleddad
    Participant

we were fortunate to get our xc40 for £2200 + £ 275 for white paint -£900 Good Condition Bonus but if you are pushing yourself to get an xc40 as your next car, and mpg is a factor, I would give it serious thought, especially if you do short journeys. The short journeys I am doing are giving low 20 mpg, it is freezing out there and I’ve only had it a few weeks so things could change, but just a point to bare in mind.

ive had mine for 18 months now, 6k miles and 27.8mpg

absolutely awful.

#136799 Reply
    Brydo

Crippledad that’s not good, is it mostly short journeys you are doing as I’m getting low 20’s doing short journeys but low 30’s on a longer run.

#136800 Reply
    Azzy

I think I’ve given up on hope that the mpg will get better. I’m currently at 28.6mpg after 1200 miles. City driving mainly. I reset the trip computer and it’s constantly around 27mpg on a run. Warmer weather I’m expecting +10%.

Im not really driving a lot atm so won’t reach 1500miles until summer time but also means I won’t be putting much petrol in.

#136814 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Well, my trip to the hospital was a bust. I fully expected the roads to be quiet. Maybe not apocalypticly so, but I certainly expected it to be a lot quieter than ‘normal’.

The roads were, and I don’t say this lightly, absolutely bonkers. They were packed with some real maniacs. Two in particular. One driving a small flatbed car transporter and another in a white van. But that’s another riverbank tale (for those of us old enough to remember 😂)

I hoped the XC40 was going to do well and was aiming for 40mpg or slightly over. In fact, it managed 38.7mpg. The trip was actually close to 100 miles in total. The trip I checked previously claimed 120 miles in my BMW so I must have had a detour.

I’m sure if the run had been smoother, we’d have got over 40mpg so I’m not too disappointed.

To just show how varying these figures can be, the day after we needed to go to the docs and do some shopping. The 6 mile trip out claimed 29.4mpg with the trip back at 12 miles (there was an accident on the road and so we had quite a detour to get home), claiming 43.5mpg.

I know some people find this a waste of brain space but I’m afraid I’ve grown into one of those sad types who quite enjoy the mpg game.
    Many moons ago, I owned a number of V6 cars and used to bore my colleagues to tears with tales of mpg. I’m banned from talking about it now. 🤣😂

——————————————             —————————————-

Azzy, I’m loathed to say this but a petrol engine works more efficiently with cold air. It’s denser and so feeds more oxygen into the engine for a more efficient ’bang’. So it’s probably more efficient now than it will be at any other time in the year.

#136825 Reply
    Brydo

During my short time with the xc40, I’ve noticed the mpg is terrible until the engine heats up. High teens low twenties initially then high twenties low thirties once warm.

The first drive of the day is by far the worse, after that the mpg improves.

Don’t know if that helps explain your conundrum Wayne.

#136829 Reply
    Markymate

Bionic Rusty, you’re right about the cold air being denser, sadly that’s exactly why MPG goes down in winter as the car uses more fuel to push the vehicle through the denser air.  On a regular journey I do, in the summer I get roughly 38 and in winter it goes down to about 31-32. Happens every year without fail.

#136832 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I suspect the problem with the Volvo engine is nothing to do with cold air but to do with a cold engine being badly fuelled by its computer.  Not noticed anything so extreme on the BMW X1 which regularly does 2 mile each way shopping trips.

#136836 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Markymate, Of course you’re spot on. I’m getting mpg vs power muddled up there.
    Ignore me. In my defence……….nope, I’ve got nothing. 😂🤣

@Brydo
    . Yeah, very likely that’s what it is. I do know the engine can get close to the quoted figures but conditions have to be absolutely perfect. To be fair, I’m not surprised by it.

#136844 Reply
    sif

As has been pointed out before, modern cars after the VW mpg scandal are tweaked to make mpg the be all and end all, witness the hesitancy of VWs at junctions (engine starved of fuel for acceleration to improve mpg) so how bad would MPG be for most cars if they weren’t tweaked.  Two factors come into play too, cars get bigger and bigger, engines get smaller and smaller. Yes at peak condition in ideal circumstances they might be great, but how often do those conditions arise? If not then you have the classic big car small engine problem. I like diesels, always had though I have had great big 3 lite v6s. I like the economy and grunt of a diesel that without tweaking and tuning can get stellar mileage and ultra reliability. Oh for the days of the non turbo diesel. Slow but reliable.

#136871 Reply
    Markymate
    Participant

Markymate, Of course you’re spot on. I’m getting mpg vs power muddled up there. Ignore me. In my defence……….nope, I’ve got nothing. 😂🤣 @Brydo. Yeah, very likely that’s what it is. I do know the engine can get close to the quoted figures but conditions have to be absolutely perfect. To be fair, I’m not surprised by it.

No worries my friend. I’m amazed my brain stayed in gear long enough to write the post LOL!!!

#136919 Reply
    Brydo

Not long back from a 24 mile round trip to my father-in-law who lives alone. 12 miles each way 90% motorway 60 mph most of the time. first journey 33mpg second journey, after an hours visit, 40mpg.

Much better but not brilliant, although, after the mpg I’ve been getting, I’ll take it.

Ambient temperature at time of journeys 3°C.

Viewing 25 replies - 126 through 150 (of 211 total)
Reply To: Reply #136836 in Xc40 picked up today.
Your information: