XC40 + PHEV = 201 mpg

• Creator
    Topic
  • #183687 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #183690 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You call your car Brydo?

#183691 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Using your PHEV like a BEV.

As I’ve said before this won’t be doable for many but, if you do lots of short journeys a PHEV could be suitable for you.

Ive had the PHEV for a couple of months now and put £50 of fuel into it. However £20 of that was for picking the car up, the battery wasn’t charged on pick up  😡 and the other £30 was put in as the battery charger on the car broke and I was driving on petrol for a while. Having said that I have 140 miles of petrol range still in the car.

In our previous ICE Volvo xc40 I was putting in between £100 and £150 per month of fuel and that was before the current massive price increases. Last month I put nothing in, obviously I have to charge the car and there will be a cost associated with that but nothing compared to the current fuel cost

So if you do short regular journeys a PHEV can be used like a full battery vehicle and the current cost savings are massive.

Hopefully this gives you information to help decide if a PHEV is right for you 👍

#183693 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It works for us too but with much more driving outside battery range we have got about 75mpg over nearly 6000 miles.  Ignoring electricity cost of course but still good economics for us and so relaxing around town.

#183694 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I don’t call it anything wigwam, after all it is a car. When I loaded the app it asked for a name so I gave it my pseudonym Brydo, which I use for various applications.

#183695 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Yes wigwam driving pure electric is great the only thing is, well two things, I often don’t know if the engine is actually on lol and I have a fear of driving away without unplugging the cable, double lol.

#183696 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The engine won’t normally come on in Pure mode though. I left the charging door flap open a few times until I got used to it!

#183724 Reply
    ajn

Great Brydo, impressive mileage there, glad it worked out in the end…

Must admit don’t use xc40 b4 petrol much, least mileage I’ve ever done in my motoring history in the newest car I’ve put my name too..

Mrs aj doing most of my driving now, which is a plus..

#183728 Reply
    Brydo

ajn as much as I disliked the B4 I like the PHEV, the difference is night and day. It’s a pleasure to drive and a pleasure to save money and a pleasure to do my bit for the environment.

#183729 Reply
    ajn

Thing is for me Brydo, it’s none of those things for my dislike, it’s more it’s a lease car, it’s brand new I simply haven’t bonded with it, it holds no memories no war wounds of our lives..

Take the plates off wash it, park it next to six others of the same, I wouldn’t know one from the other..

New cars not for me it seems, even if it produces butterflies as I drive, I seem to have no connection with it..

loved my old Volvos, kept in great condition however I could tell you a story of any slight defect, why and how they got there never to be removed, happy memories of our younger years and growing up family..

Might sound weird but true..

#183763 Reply
    Brydo

ajn maybe you can have new memories with this car as the goes by.

#183765 Reply
    Brydo

As time goes by.

#184817 Reply
    Brydo

#184827 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

You have really caught the bug, your figures are outstanding.

Just back from holiday towing a 1500 kg caravan, too date 23 months into the lease 11,502 miles £920.20 116mpg

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#184835 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

They are Oscarmax but as I’m really using it as a BEV the figures are becoming a bit pointless but I will continue to update on a regular basis for a while.

#184839 Reply
    struth
    Participant

@Brydo.  Super figures for the car… impressed.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#184847 Reply
    Brydo

It is impressive @struth and for those who make journeys similar to mine there is a lot of money to be saved.

#184852 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

It is impressive @struth and for those who make journeys similar to mine there is a lot of money to be saved.

What was the AP @Brydo when it was on the scheme.

#184856 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

£3200 ish Kezo, an absolute bargain compared to what’s available on the scheme now.

As it stands just now I will save that amount over the three years. So delighted with our choice.

As an aside motability where brilliant with us.

#184860 Reply
    ajn

Has to be the best car on the scheme at the time, although not much space and to much AP for me..

I was gutted paying an AP on a lease car, however Mrs an loved it..🙂

Great numbering stuff there Brydo, no wonder your delighted

#184903 Reply
    kezo
    Participant

That’s a very reasonable AP Brydo for the plug in, especially when you see some of the ridiculous AP’s they want now. Which certainly wouldn’t be cost effective for me against a traditional ICE

#184905 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

It is Kezo and I am loving the car.

Just back from a 27 mile round trip and all of this in electric but only just. Mostly motorway, beautiful day so no windscreen wipers or aircon required and it’s now sitting in the drive getting recharged via my solar panels, don’t get much greener than that.

#184988 Reply
    Farid Miah

How are you guys managing to get 27 miles from a fully charged car? even last summer with aircon off, radio off and driving carefully with a light foot i could not get more than 22 miles from a full charge. and in the winter that dropped to about 13!

#184996 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Farid not sure how I did it, as I said the journey was mostly motorway, cruise control set at 60, the other few miles where surface streets.

I am getting the hang of cruising, taking my foot off the accelerator when it’s not required, which gives a bit of regen, apart from that I just drive normally.

#184998 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I regularly achieve between 28 – 32 miles so 27 is quite achievable.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#184999 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
Reply To: XC40 + PHEV = 201 mpg
Your information: