XC40 order problems – back to the drawing board

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145392 Reply
    Ianfca

Gutted. After endless research and calls to Volvo dealership, we finally placed an order for the T5 rechargeable inscription pro with a couple of extras. There was a problem ordering because the XC40 is changing from MY21 to MY22 and motability wouldn’t guarantee that the AP could be honoured against the MY22 vehicle.
    However the dealership said they had a build slot for a MY21 in the pipeline and that the specification could be changed to the one we would like and they even offered a £200 discount.
    After a lot of negotiating we signed on the dotted line on Saturday and paid a £500 deposit and sat back relieved that a decision had finally been made. Then on Sunday received a phone call from our salesman’s manager to be told that they couldn’t amend their factory order and they did not have anymore MY21 build slots available. They then said they would get back to me with details of an alternative vehicle and this morning the salesman we had been dealing with came back with a revised offer. Unfortunately it was for a vehicle fitted with more extras increasing the price by about £1000 so we have had to cancel the order and are now waiting for our deposit to be refunded.
    I can’t prove it, but my guess is that the build slot I had been given has been sold to a retail customer, because up until placing our order the salesman had been very attentive and had said there was no problem changing the spec on the car they had on order, it was even his idea we did this.

Viewing 11 replies - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #156006 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Ordered mid may and was told mid July but now looking late august

Many dealers (not just Volvo) have a tendency to understate delivery times in order to secure an order and then blame the manufacturer for the inevitable delays that follow. Have to say that I was always sceptical of the two months lead times being quoted to some forum members by Volvo dealers, especially when others were quoting 4 to 6 months.

Even before the pandemic, 3 months from order to delivery was about as good as it got for a factory order and 4 or 5 months seems to be the norm now. There will always be exceptions (better and worse) but ordering mid-May and getting the vehicle late August seems pretty good to me, albeit it’s not what you were originally told.

#156008 Reply
    James

I will keep my fingers crossed that you’ll be ok

#156009 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

At least once out of the factory gate, XC40s shouldn’t take too long to get here. The factory is right next to the Ghent sea canal.

#156096 Reply
    AndyDStone
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy

I’ve test driven the XC40 T5. It’s an excellent drive – it’s not a sports car, but plenty quick enough for it’s size/weight and includes a lot of equipment as standard (unlike BMW).

The XC40 is also a newer model than the X1, and looks it too from both inside and out. I’ve driven company BMW’s for decades and for the last 4 years a BMW 330e PHEV. The XC40 is a real step up in quality, comfort and equipment.

You can’t buy a car based on looks alone, you need to drive it (and not just for an hour) over different roads (city / town / motorway / A road / B road etc). Give it a try, you never know, you might just like it…

#156097 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’m afraid Glos Guy is lost to the cause Andy. He has an X1 on the way.

#156099 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Glos Guy I’ve test driven the XC40 T5. It’s an excellent drive – it’s not a sports car, but plenty quick enough for it’s size/weight and includes a lot of equipment as standard (unlike BMW). The XC40 is also a newer model than the X1, and looks it too from both inside and out. I’ve driven company BMW’s for decades and for the last 4 years a BMW 330e PHEV. The XC40 is a real step up in quality, comfort and equipment. You can’t buy a car based on looks alone, you need to drive it (and not just for an hour) over different roads (city / town / motorway / A road / B road etc). Give it a try, you never know, you might just like it…

Hi Andy. Whilst I haven’t driven the XC40 I’ve had a good look at it. I really don’t like the look of it, inside or out, but I completely understand that’s a subjective view and most people do. Yes it’s a newer car than the X1, but I much prefer the BMW iDrive and retention of some buttons than the shape of the Volvo infotainment and ‘touchscreen for everything’ set up. Most car reviewers agree. I also prefer the look of it, outside and inside. Have to say that I also disagree re quality. There’s nothing wrong with the interior of the XC40 but I felt it wasn’t quite to BMW standards. Pretty close though.  I’ve been used to 5 Series BMW’s and the X1 certainly isn’t that standard, but the facelift model is a big step up from the pre 2020 models. The standard kit of the facelift X1 is also much improved over the pre- 2020 models, to the tune of £2,500. I did a detailed spec comparison between the two and the X1 was better for me, as some of the kit that I want isn’t even available as options on the XC40.

We all want different things from cars, but Volvo’s tend to be configured for the more, shall we say, mature driver. Whilst I am retired (early, I should stress!) I prefer cars that can be driven keenly when the mood takes me and the X1 was fine for that when I had two prolonged test drives. As I say, there’s nothing wrong with the XC40 and it’s a very popular car for good reason, but I have no desire whatsoever for one, whereas I’m looking forward to getting back to a BMW having endured a VW Tiguan for a few years! Also, I won’t have to plug it in, charge it and unplug it again after each use, the novelty of which would, I think, wear off pretty quickly. Having driven hundreds of cars from most manufacturers over the years I have never found anything that beats BMW engines and transmissions. No one car is perfect, certainly not on Motability, but some cars suit people more than others. I think that the XC40 will suit the majority of Motability customers better than the X1, but not me. Even though it’s effectively a run-out model, the X1 is the best SUV on the scheme for my driving style and preferences and with the options that I’ve added it ticks all my boxes, whereas the Volvo wouldn’t.  If things go pear shaped with my order I will definitely test drive the Volvo though. As I say, both are good cars but it boils down to choice and preferences at the end of the day.

#156101 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’m afraid Glos Guy is lost to the cause Andy. He has an X1 on the way.

Would you prefer that we had no freedom of choice and all had to drive the same car Wigwam? If so, be careful what you wish for. The last time Motability took that approach it had three wheels and you could have any colour you liked, as long as it was powder blue 😉

#156102 Reply
    Mike

Very well put @glosguy

#156103 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

You have misjudged my post Glos Guy. Of course I said no such thing. Andy was proselytising for the XC40. I was merely saying he was wasting his time on you.

#156104 Reply
    AndyDStone
    Participant

Ha ha ha – now now you two! Motability provides us all have a fairly broad choice of car to choose from.👍🏻

@ Glos Guy – Best of luck with the X1. I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.👍🏻
    @ Wigwam – I hope your enjoying your XC40. I’ve placed my order, but have no delivery date yet.👎🏻

#156119 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I haven’t got it yet Andy. End of July… maybe…

Viewing 11 replies - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
Reply To: XC40 order problems – back to the drawing board
Your information: