XC40 order problems – back to the drawing board

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145392 Reply
    Ianfca

Gutted. After endless research and calls to Volvo dealership, we finally placed an order for the T5 rechargeable inscription pro with a couple of extras. There was a problem ordering because the XC40 is changing from MY21 to MY22 and motability wouldn’t guarantee that the AP could be honoured against the MY22 vehicle.
    However the dealership said they had a build slot for a MY21 in the pipeline and that the specification could be changed to the one we would like and they even offered a £200 discount.
    After a lot of negotiating we signed on the dotted line on Saturday and paid a £500 deposit and sat back relieved that a decision had finally been made. Then on Sunday received a phone call from our salesman’s manager to be told that they couldn’t amend their factory order and they did not have anymore MY21 build slots available. They then said they would get back to me with details of an alternative vehicle and this morning the salesman we had been dealing with came back with a revised offer. Unfortunately it was for a vehicle fitted with more extras increasing the price by about £1000 so we have had to cancel the order and are now waiting for our deposit to be refunded.
    I can’t prove it, but my guess is that the build slot I had been given has been sold to a retail customer, because up until placing our order the salesman had been very attentive and had said there was no problem changing the spec on the car they had on order, it was even his idea we did this.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145990 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Just spoke to the other of my local Volvo dealers. He says no problem placing factory orders. He is surprised dealers are saying otherwise.  He has build slots and thinks delivery would be July/August.

@Ianfca
    might want to try his dealers again.

#145996 Reply
    Farid Miah

Does anyone know what the differences will be with the MY22 build cars, specifically on the R Design pro?

#145997 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The spec is on the MY22 price list which you can download. From what I can see there is no difference to the late MY21 price and spec.

#146035 Reply
    Farid Miah

ok thank you

#155652 Reply
    Skye

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I am having issue with collecting my XC40 order. I had the opposite issue when ordering on 1st April. I wondered the XC40 inscription pro and was told I had to have the MY22 version which meant I couldn’t have the colour I liked (pebble grey). I was told end of June delivery. Yesterday I was told it will be at least September now. I don’t understand because I know other people who ordered after me have got their cars! It feels like my car wasn’t actually ordered when I paid the deposit. Has anyone else received their order from April processing?</p>

#155655 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I am having issue with collecting my XC40 order. I had the opposite issue when ordering on 1st April. I wondered the XC40 inscription pro and was told I had to have the MY22 version which meant I couldn’t have the colour I liked (pebble grey). I was told end of June delivery. Yesterday I was told it will be at least September now. I don’t understand because I know other people who ordered after me have got their cars! It feels like my car wasn’t actually ordered when I paid the deposit. Has anyone else received their order from April processing?</p>

Sorry to hear that. It seems to be all over the place at the moment, with some Volvo dealers quoting two months lead times and others six months. Has your dealer given you a reason for the delay?

It could be that your dealer didn’t have any available build slots when you placed your deposit. Dealers rarely own up to this and customers don’t always realise that they aren’t actually ‘ordering’ a car when they visit a dealers, as that is a separate process between the dealer and the manufacturer and can happen much later. This is a problem that happens with dealers from most manufacturers, not just Volvo. They probably won’t own up to this and that’s why it’s always worth pursuing dealers for an order / tracking number as, until customers are issued with one, there is a good chance that the car hasn’t actually been ordered. If you can get one now, you should be able to check with Volvo UK when the order was actually placed.

The problem for those of us who are waiting for cars currently (I am waiting for a BMW X1) is that if we ditch an order and go elsewhere we will go to the back of a very long queue which, due to the worldwide semiconductor chip shortage which is affecting most manufacturers, could well result in no new car until 2022! On that basis your delayed September date will look attractive. Hope that it works out for you.

#155656 Reply
    James

We ordered mid may and our dealer this week said ours is still on track for next month

#155659 Reply
    Gary

We ordered end of May and have been given a date 14-28 Sept

#155661 Reply
    Crusty

Ordered earlier this month (June) and told will be My22 build and delivery mid Sept.

#155662 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I believe in Volvo’s world all cars built since the end of May have been MY22.  The only difference I’ve found from late MY21 build is different style wheels on the R-Design Pro. I did spot that since last December, keys have a sleep function when at rest so they are safe from relay attacks.

#155676 Reply
    Fadge
    Participant

I ordered on the 4th of April but luckily the dealer had a few cars already on order and i was allocated one of them, I picked a MY21 car up on the 4th June.

#155694 Reply
    Brydo

Called around a few dealers here in Scotland, delivery, if ordered this week, are as follows,Stirling December, Edinburgh October and Glasgow September.

#155698 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Called around a few dealers here in Scotland, delivery, if ordered this week, are as follows,Stirling December, Edinburgh October and Glasgow September.

Were those dates specifically for the T5 Recharge Brydo? Odd that they vary between 3 to 6 months. Could be that Glasgow has immediate build slots and the others don’t, but then I wonder why the other two are quoting 4 and 6 months. A cynic could be forgiven for thinking that dealers with a healthy order book are honest whereas those who need the business will understate lead times to get the orders in or, worse still, just hazard a guess!

#155699 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’m going to guess towards the end of October would be nearest the mark, from conversations with my dealer. Welcome back Brydo.

#155959 Reply
    Jamss

Call today from dealer to say that our orders been pushed back by a month with no real reason? Not happy with Volvo on this one.

#155966 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

When did you order it, Jamss? And what date did they give you?

#155977 Reply
    James

Ordered mid may and was told mid July but now looking late august

#155978 Reply
    Gary

That would tie in with the date range I’ve been given.

#155982 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

We ordered ours 12th May and given estimated delivery 28th July. A couple of weeks later our dealer said new order dates were being pushed back 4 to 8 weeks because factory was now at capacity.  Last I spoke to him we were still on track but I won’t be surprised to hear different.

It’s usual for car factories to have a 2 week annual shutdown in August, which if it’s true for Ghent, won’t help….

#155994 Reply
    James

The thing that annoys me is that I spoke with the dealer last week and all was on track and expected build around now and then for it to pushed back by a month or so with no reason at the last minute doesn’t seem good enough

#155995 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It would be unfair to assume your dealer knows any more than you, James.  These are decisions made at the factory on the basis of production time and Inventory availability. The whole motor industry worldwide is in the same or worse position than Volvo. We live in uncertain times.

#155997 Reply
    James

I just find it hard to believe that a car be pushed from due to be built any day to weeks away, I know it’s not the end of the world and to be honest really makes no difference to us but I’d of liked a reason and manufacturers will have the info which would make it easier for the dealer to explain to the customer

#155999 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I think mid May to mid July was over optimistic when you ordered, James.  What does it say on your order form?

#156001 Reply
    James

It shows 10-24 July on both the paperwork and they’re system for delivery, I was quoted the same lead times by three dealers at the time of order and was told as long as we didn’t get the 360 camera or blind spot they’re shouldn’t be any delays

#156002 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Looks like I’m due a call from my dealer saying the same, then!   Like you it’s not the end of the world if it’s delayed , but its good to able to plan..

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
Reply To: XC40 order problems – back to the drawing board
Your information: