XC40 build date missed again and no idea when it will get built

• Creator
    Topic
  • #164189 Reply
    Zhoaib

Hi,

I need some advice. My xc40 should have been delivered in August (last week of the month).

The customer service hasn’t been great. After chasing them i was called on 23rd to say my car was going into build on 24th aug. I chased for an update on 3rd sept and was told car build date missed but on track to be delivered in October. Build date missed again bit it was imminent.

i chased last Thursday 9th sept and called today to say build date missed and now on hold awaiting further updates.

i know there are issues outside of volvos control but the customer service has been rubbish. Since i put my order in the month of April i have only had 2-3 calls and each time it has been because i have chased them, sometimes multiple calls or emails just to get a response.

I am at the point where i want to cancel my car and put in a new order even if i must wait till Feb/ March time.  How can a car go from scheduled build the next day to being out on hold twice?

what would you do? Cancel and order a new one or just wait?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164190 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Sadly it’s just a position a lot of people are in, I do agree with you that dealers should be more in contact with the customer, for example I ordered my car in January and I’m only picking it up this Friday, the dealer only emailed me twice during this 9 month wait and called twice, one to say cars in the country / pick up date

But it is very weird to see people that ordered my same car in months like may get it before me, is it bad luck or just lazy dealerships or a mix of both

#164193 Reply
    Zhoaib

I think the other issue i have is i have been told the build slot was secured and each and every time i was told there is no delay to my order. Seems like i was just told what i wanted to hear

#164194 Reply
    Zhoaib

So now i have called back to speak to a manager and the call has mysteriously disconnected twice…..

#164196 Reply
    James

We took delivery on the 1st of our new XC40 r design pro and for what’s it’s worth and my opinion alone but I’d cancel the order and get something else. The XC40 is so boring to drive it’s untrue, we went a few places to have different test drives so to have longer with the car and everything seemed fine.

If your at that point in life when a car is to get from a – b then it’s fine and comfortable but if you enjoy driving your in for a shock, we have the T5 hybrid.

I’m going to give it a while but if I can’t get past how boring it is I’ll hand it back and worst case leave the scheme.

#164197 Reply
    Zhoaib

Thanks James.

This is helpful. I have a X1 at the moment and that is a joy to drive. The problem is so many of the cars i may have ordered in Q2 are no longer available which is pretty frustrating,

#164198 Reply
    James

I’d see if you could get an extended test drive or seriously consider extending your lease.

I don’t want to come across been negative and I personally know people who love this car but sadly I’m not one of them at the moment.

Also we live in an hilly area and are only getting around 15 miles on pure electric.

#164199 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thanks James. This is helpful. I have a X1 at the moment and that is a joy to drive. The problem is so many of the cars i may have ordered in Q2 are no longer available which is pretty frustrating,

Hi Zhoaib. Sorry to hear this. You may have discounted another X1 but the 2020 facelift is quite a big improvement in interior quality and equipment over the pre 2020 version. We have recently taken delivery of a 20i XLine xDrive and are very pleased with it. Fuel economy is better than I expected (43mpg) and no need to plug it in every day! Just thought I’d mention it as ours took less than 4 months from order to delivery and that was with a number of options. Our dealer did manage to nab a cancelled order slot though and also got a delay to the build date reversed, so 4 months might be optimistic. Failing that I’d stick with your order and make a nuisance of yourself with the dealer. As my dealer demonstrated, good ones can influence build slots.

#164201 Reply
    Zhoaib

I enjoyed the test drive but truth be told it is not a cheap car. The advance payment was pretty high especially once i added extras that come as standard on some of the other options.

looks like a longer wait for me. If anyone can suggest any alternatives i would appreciate this.

#164203 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I enjoyed the test drive but truth be told it is not a cheap car. The advance payment was pretty high especially once i added extras that come as standard on some of the other options. looks like a longer wait for me. If anyone can suggest any alternatives i would appreciate this.

I got £500 discount off the AP plus 15% off the options. The dealer wasn’t advertising any of that, I just asked for it. If I recall correctly, the XC40 is about £1k more AP, with no discounts possible, so if you could get the same deal you could add around £2k options at retail to the X1 and it would be about the same price as the XC40?

#164204 Reply
    Zhoaib

Thanks Glosguy.

I do regret not selecting another x1 at the time. It was between X1, Q3 and the volvo and unfortunately the Q3 is a theft magnet in Birmingham. The x1 i just felt was dated and needed a remodel. So i overlooked it.

The customer service at BMW is just brilliant and i have never had an issue. I have booked an appointment with BMW to look at some options for friday.

While i was writing this volvo have come back to say 21st December.

Ok looks like im cancelling my Volvo.

#164209 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The x1 i just felt was dated and needed a remodel.

Exactly my issue. The outside is okay, it’s a good looking car – but the interior looks a bit like an S Class from 2005 – dated. Now, this isn’t a problem for everyone – but for me as a techy guy, it is.

Not to mention, no android auto, which is awful for us. I was still willing to give it a chance since i know how BMWs are built, but every time i see that drab interior, .. meh.

#164212 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The x1 i just felt was dated and needed a remodel.

Exactly my issue. The outside is okay, it’s a good looking car – but the interior looks a bit like an S Class from 2005 – dated. Now, this isn’t a problem for everyone – but for me as a techy guy, it is. Not to mention, no android auto, which is awful for us. I was still willing to give it a chance since i know how BMWs are built, but every time i see that drab interior, .. meh.

A bit less drab with the Oyster / Black interior Rene 😉

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: XC40 build date missed again and no idea when it will get built
Your information: