• Creator
    Topic
  • #68794 Reply
    Northern Lad

As Topic

My Relative wrote off his Motability car today 6 months old

what happens Next

TIA

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #68795 Reply
    Johnny

Has he/she phoned motability?

#68801 Reply
    Richard Harding

My car was written off after an accident in June 2016. I was given a hire car through the rac that I was in until September. After the car was written off I was phoned by somebody from motability and assigned a case handler who had a dedicated number so that every time you call you speak to the same person. They assisted with the new application which in my case was more complicated as the first order I placed arrived and it was the wrong car.

#68853 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Well I’m putting the Motability insurers to the test today after being rear-ended this morning.

I was rear-ended back about 2009 in my Motability car and was not impressed then and reading these forums I don’t think I will be impressed this time around after having a no fault accident then being bombarded by phone calls about your accident’ that have only stopped coming the past two years or so.

Back then I had a VW Golf and the car they gave me while it was being fixed was a 10 year old Ford Fiesta but I had to take what they had as the car needs adaption to it for me to drive it.

Looking at the rear plastic bumper of my new car, its completely destroyed but once they have the part should only take half a day to fix buts what the betting the car will be gone for a month, hoist and all.

I used the RSA online reporting form and what joke that is with everything in lower case even if you have your Caps-Locks on so a registration looks like Ab12cde and when you enter 8-35AM it will not accept that as it has to be written eight thirty five am, what a laugh.

Will keep you all informed of RSA procedures over the coming weeks if it goes sour.

P.S. to keep on topic I wonder how the northern lad’s friend is getting on with their claim?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by ChrisK.
    #68859 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Sorry @solent60 but for some unknown reason ?I can’t see your post at this moment in this thread but I know you’ve said something because I got an e-mail telling me, odd.

Anyway to answer your thread (when I see it officially?) my troubles in the past were not so much with Motability but with RSA and, or more so, with the management company that RSA used on that occasion.

So this time around I’m hoping it will be smoother this time around and just get the car, and more importantly, the hoist back pronto.

#68862 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

From my recent experience it’s not improved at all, took 3 weeks to get a failed radiator changed, forced into insurance claim and 3 different courtesy cars, wonderful.

#68876 Reply
    Northern Lad

Yes

spoke to them just now

having a nightmare with different departments but slowly getting sorted

they are wondering if they can change to a different manufacturer when they get go-ahead for new car

Thanks

#68879 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Northern Lad

Yes nightmare is the correct word but hope your friend gets sorted but don’t know about changing model as its a write off but sure someone here knows.

I’ve been on and off to Motability, RSA and Nationwide and been going from pillar to post.

First I filled out the online accident form for RSA and it says they will get back within 24 hours.

Meanwhile I get a phone call from someone saying there going to sort everything and relax while we take some details of your car. When I asked the guy “do you work for my insurance company or the other party” he said “neither as the are a management claims company”. Here we go I thought, another 100 calls “about my accident” coming down the phone for the next 6 years.

Anyway I get in touch with Mota and RSA but this time through a phone call (that lasted 40 minutes) and they said don’t take any notice of anyone but them but unfortunate for me I got one of the letter wrong in the third party number plate so RSA said I would have to pay the £100 excess even though its not my fault.

Anyway lucky for me the third party rang me tonight and I got the reg corrected.

Motability said they would pass me onto Nationwide to get a car delivered tomorrow and take mine away for repairs. The guy at Nationwide checked if I needed an auto and I said “that’s a must have along with with the steering ball and remote control for dipped beam and indicators” then he said” we don’t do adaptions and passed me back to Motability who in turn tried to get me to settled for putting bills in for taxi’s and the likes or have my DWP allowance paid back to me but I said the reason I’m with Mota in the first place is so I need not worry about anything and taxi’s can be ruled out. I’ve also told them that my car is going nowhere until I know the temporary replace is suitable.

Only been 9 hours and already I could write a book but now sit back to await a phone call tomorrow about the switch over, that is if they can get through with all my “about your accident calls for compensation”.?

Still don’t know where solent60 post went, can only think he deleted it after I got the confirmation e-mail.

#68884 Reply
    Littledave

My experience is the opposite of the above. I had an accident last year, my fault, phoned RSA to report it, immediate response. I received an email from Nationwide, phoned them to arrange collection date. They arrived at the appointed time, left a courtesy car and two weeks later, I collected our car, my choice. Great service from all parties. Admittedly, we don’t have adaptations, but that is always going to be a problem as with with test drives, servicing etc.

#68900 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Littledave

That’s where the problems lay in the fact that a third of Motability cars are adapted but they don’t seem to be geared up for disabled drivers who have adaptions.

Odd thing to say about a disability company but that’s how it looks from here.

#69680 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Just to update what I’ve said above and to give credit where its due, today my KIA Carens DSG Titanium Silver with boot hoist went in to be repaired at a RSA workshop.

Today a company called Proximo working on behalf of Nationwide cars delivered a curtsey car, a KIA Carens DSG Titanium Silver with a boot hoist and picking up the grand-kids from school today and they didn’t even notice they were in a different car that took them to school this morning.

Can’t have anything but praise for that after worrying about the old banger I got last time my car was off the road for repairs.

#82681 Reply
    Andrew
      <li style=”text-align: left;”>Had accident in motability car. Called insurance, in few days car was picked up and courtesy car was delivered at the same time. Week later my car was back and fixed. Very easy sorted, advised about compensations etc. Wish other companies would be that easy to sort things out.
    #82719 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Hi Andrew

You’ve dug up an old thread Andrew, no problems with that I’m sure but just to say if you don’t need a car with adaptions then I’m sure there’s thousands of cars out there just waiting to be hired but the problem starts, bearing in mind Motability are supposed to be geared up for the disabled, when the replacement car needs adaption. If you are a disabled driver and about 33% of Motability customers are then its a nightmare getting hold of a car that suitable for the disabled driver.

If your lucky and have someone else on the insurance to drive the car you could put up with that for a few weeks I’m sure but my carer wife does not drive so it’s just me.

The outcome of my claim this time around was reasonable and the replacement car was exactly the same as the one I have right down to same trim level, same colour and same engine so can’t say nothing about that other than first class service but still getting the ambulance chasers phone calls about my accident because of my data being left with all those car hire firms that could not supply a car.

#82733 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Mine wasn’t an accident but the water intercooler radiator sprung a leak, short version, 3 weeks to fix, 3 courtesy cars(none suitable) problems after supposed fix, been in for repair 5 times now and still not fixed, given up and just leaving it till winter when I will insist on a courtesy car for the entire duration of the cold weather, might prompt them to actually fix the car then!

#86402 Reply
    Dhldh
    Participant

Hopefully this doesn’t happen to me, I had an accident yesterday the car is totalled only had it since March a Mazda 6 sport nav, am I right in thinking that I’ll have to put in a new application and they won’t just replace the Mazda 6 or give me the option for a car of similar spec and ap?

#86411 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

You don’t get a “like for like” replacement on Motability, if the car is a total loss then I would think you will have to choose a new car out of what is available on the scheme at the time.

#86418 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

You don’t get a “like for like” replacement on Motability, if the car is a total loss then I would think you will have to choose a new car out of what is available on the scheme at the time.

Correct vinalspin. If your car is written off, as mine was last year, Motability will advise you look for another car of your choice on the scheme. They did advise me however that I may want to order one that wasn’t the colour or spec that I preferred because they didn’t want me running around in a brand new Merc saloon courtesy car too much longer! The other guys insurance was paying for that Merc of course & his insurance Company weren’t keen on me waiting months until a car I ordered through Motability with my chosen spec was ready! Needless to say I did feel a tad pressured into getting a new car ASAP. So, if you do have a car written off – be aware that Motability will want you to choose a new car ASAP even though the accident was no fault of my own.

As it happens, Toyota had just the car & spec I wanted on display in my local Toyota showroom which made the whole process of replacing my written-off car pretty quick.

#86434 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

@ Solent60,

thought that was the way, one thing I am unsure of is whilst you’re driving round in a courtesy car that’s being paid for by the third party’s insurance, do you get your PIP allowance paid back while the new car comes?

The other thing is that I would not be pressured into getting something I wasn’t happy with that I had to not only live with for the next 3 years but pay for as well.

Don’t be bullied. If they aren’t happy with you running around in an expensive courtesy car then tell them to get you a like for like replacement and put the pressure back on their shoulders!

#86458 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

@ Solent60, thought that was the way, one thing I am unsure of is whilst you’re driving round in a courtesy car that’s being paid for by the third party’s insurance, do you get your PIP allowance paid back while the new car comes? The other thing is that I would not be pressured into getting something I wasn’t happy with that I had to not only live with for the next 3 years but pay for as well. Don’t be bullied. If they aren’t happy with you running around in an expensive courtesy car then tell them to get you a like for like replacement and put the pressure back on their shoulders!

@vinalspin
    ; no, you do not get any part of your PIP/DLA payment. I assume this is because you have the use of a courtesy car for however long and therefore you are not without a car/transport.

My Mini Cooper was only 15-months old when it was written off and because I had paid £1,000 AP, Motability paid me a portion of this back by way of a cheque. I did, however, lose several hundred pounds worth of extras that I had specced when I ordered the Mini from the factory. In effect – any ‘extras’ that you opt for and pay for yourself you will lose – as you do the good condition bonus (obviously). All in all – if you do have a car written off – you will always be out of pocket which sucks big time.

I did feel pressurised when I was given the go ahead to finally order another car to replace my Mini. The guy on the phone at Motability HQ told me to “Order a car as soon as possible… even if it isn’t quite the colour you prefer or the spec you would ideally like”! I got the impression that because I was driving around in a brand new Mercedes C-class saloon courtesy car with just 15-miles on the clock, they didn’t want to keep paying for it for what might have been 2 or 3 months when, in reality, I could pop into any car dealer & order a car that was already in stock – ready to drive away ASAP. As it turned out and as I mentioned earlier, my local Toyota dealer (luckily enough) had just the car I wanted in the showroom that had been delivered just 2 days earlier for display purposes!

It was all a learning curve vinalspin. Should the same unfortunate incident ever happen again, I know next time to ignore whatever advice Motability give me & order whatever car I need from the current list – however long that should take. I say that because like you mentioned ; 3-years is a long time to be driving a car that you didn’t really want or with a spec that isn’t suitable for your needs.

#86513 Reply
    Jack

We had this too, Motability piled the pressure on and we ended up with an unsuitable vehicle. Motability didn’t care so we had to unfortunately go down another route in order to get the agreement cancelled and back into a hire car.

#86514 Reply
    JS

Reading these posts I can’t get past and I thinks it’s disgusting and out of order if a third party insurance is paying as full fault that people would not be compensated for the PIP etc Payments, my head is shaking in disbelief!

#86531 Reply
    Philjb

I would think the third partly insurer would only pay for rental for a few weeks, the normal repair time, as I’ve know friends (not on the scheme) who have had cars written off, get settled in full within 3 days.

After that time motability must pic up the tab, a month long hire of a decent replacement car will cost a lot more then pip payments I would think.

I think the scheme is really good for the fact they will keep you mobile, yes if you need modifications they need to be tailor made in a lot of cases, so realistically you couldn’t expect them to keep a stockpile of cars ready for every need.

In my own case I’d have to nominate another driver temporarily if a suitable car wasn’t immediately available.

#86537 Reply
    cb2011
    Participant

cant you claim for the loss of ap / extras ?

#86541 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

cant you claim for the loss of ap / extras ?

You get a percentage of the AP back. Motability look at how much the AP was that you paid and then divide that by how many weeks were left on the lease.

Any extras that you paid for are lost – which in my case was about £500 for a black headliner, twin bonnet stripes, sports steering wheel, etc.

#124178 Reply
    Mrs callaghan

My mobility car was in an accident a few months ago my golf was written off I have no courtesy car & they are still taking my allowance does anyone know if this is right .

#124189 Reply
    Zoe

<p style=”text-align: left;”>No that’s not right at all, you should have had a courtesy car from the day the car was taken from you until it comes back. You should get into motability and RSA and ask where the hire car is.</p>

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
Reply To: Wrote Off Motability Car
Your information: