Worth entering Motability scheme with 1 year left on allowance?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170173 Reply
    kmh76
    Participant

My son receives DLA with the higher rate mobility component. His allowance ends in Dec ’22 and I will be applying to have it renewed. I am thinking of getting a new car under the Motability scheme, but with the lengthy delays that we are currently experiencing with new cars I may only receive the car a few months before the allowance expires, depending, of course, on the car I order. I am interested in a VW Touran SEL, but have been quoted waiting times of at least 35 weeks by the dealership. This means that I would receive the car in August at the earliest.

I am fairly confident that his allowance will be renewed as he has a lifelong condition and his mobility hasn’t changed significantly over the last three years, but there is a possibility that the mobility component of his award may be reduced to the lower rate. If that happens I will need to return the car and the lease will, overall, work out to be quite expensive due to the advance payment, which on the Touran, is £3,549. Is there a possibility that all or part of the AP would be refunded to me in this case after the car is returned? Many thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170178 Reply
    joss

@kmp76 Best advice is to give Motability customer service a call on this.

Call centre opening times:
    Monday to Friday: 8am – 8pm

Saturday: 9am – 5pm

Tel: 0300 456 4566

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#170179 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My son receives DLA with the higher rate mobility component. His allowance ends in Dec ’22 and I will be applying to have it renewed. I am thinking of getting a new car under the Motability scheme, but with the lengthy delays that we are currently experiencing with new cars I may only receive the car a few months before the allowance expires, depending, of course, on the car I order. I am interested in a VW Touran SEL, but have been quoted waiting times of at least 35 weeks by the dealership. This means that I would receive the car in August at the earliest. I am fairly confident that his allowance will be renewed as he has a lifelong condition and his mobility hasn’t changed significantly over the last three years, but there is a possibility that the mobility component of his award may be reduced to the lower rate. If that happens I will need to return the car and the lease will, overall, work out to be quite expensive due to the advance payment, which on the Touran, is £3,549. Is there a possibility that all or part of the AP would be refunded to me in this case after the car is returned? Many thanks.

As Joss says, Motability will give you a definitive answer but, for what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure that you would get a pro rata refund of your AP (not the full amount, but most of it in the example you quote). If they didn’t do this, anyone with less than the full 3 years to run on their entitlement would be taking far too much of a risk ordering a car.

What you will have to be careful about is any factory options that you add. Under a normal early termination this isn’t refunded on a pro-rata basis.

#170279 Reply
    kmh76
    Participant

Thank you Joss and Glos Guy for your help with my question. I will contact Motability as you suggest. Thanks, also for pointing out the issue concerning factory options.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #170178 in Worth entering Motability scheme with 1 year left on allowance?
Your information: