Windscreen misting up inside

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Wigwam 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #99584 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

What’s quickest way to clear the inside mist on windscreen heater full on or air con full on both directed at windscreen ? Should I open windows ? Clears after 5 mins going along ! Any advice most welcome thankyou

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #99588 Reply

mitch
    Participant

mine has a heated front screen and rapid clear button for the front screen as well as the heated rear screen.

if its really icy i get in start up hit both buttons then go round deicing the outside by the time ive done the outside the inside is clear.

in the past with other vehicles its been a case of patience and several decent cloths to hand.

#99592 Reply

Philjb

Max demist with aircon on clears the car the quickest inside.

#99601 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Max screen with air con and open a window just a couple of inches to manufacture dynamic airflow.

#99609 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

Is that with hot air or cold air blowing or in the middle ?

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#99613 Reply

joss
    Participant

I use max screen and aircon. Also direct so that it is all going to the screen and not the floor. You would be surprised that some folk think aircon is only for hot weather.

Fords have the best and fastest system of screen clearing, as it;s built into the glass. Pity they wont let other manufactures use their system.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#99618 Reply

Mike

Yes joss I had a focus years ago was fab with quick clear windscreen have any other makes got it now ?

#99622 Reply

simono

Some Qashqais and Volvos have it.

#99625 Reply

BrightonSteve

Joss, you are right about Ford’s heated screens, but as the patent has run out, various other car manufacturers are now using this very useful feature. My screen goes from frozen to clear in just short of a minute in my Kuga. As I consider it a big safety feature, I hope every manufacturer uses it in the future.

#99630 Reply

KerryB
    Participant

Yeah, my Ateca has the heated front windscreen and it’s a real boon on frosty mornings. Clears in no time at all, outside and in.

#99632 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Every time we get in the car, on a wet day, we bring dampness into the car on our shoes and on our clothes and it’s this moisture that causes the inside of the car to mist up really badly. Getting rid of this moisture can be difficult as cars are so well sealed nowadays. I find opening the windows a little when the car is up to temperature helps but if you do short journeys and the car never gets a chance to dry out, the moisture catchers that you buy form the pound shop can help.

https://www.poundland.co.uk/damp-traps-2-pack

#99634 Reply

gothitjulie
    Participant

Run the aircon when it’s hot & cold weather to keep moisture down.

Open the front windows an inch after a minute of demisting to allow excess water vapour out for a few minutes then shut the windows & keep the aircon on.

If it’s icy outside, sit in the car whilst you demist & de-ice as your body heat will help thaw the car out quicker.

I like the damp-traps idea but we don’t have these pound shops in the local town, I think it’s more usual here to employ a chauffeur.

#99639 Reply

joss
    Participant

Re damp traps. I use the ones you can get from Halfords. Bit like a small bean bag. I keep on the dash. Once it changes colour from blue to pink, you just stick it in the microwave for 2 mins to dry it out. It then turns blue and is ready to go again.

Pingi LV-A300 Dehumidifier for Car and Home, 300 g

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#99640 Reply

wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Oh. make sure the recirculate button of off – made that mistake!

#99644 Reply

Mike

Thankyou for the replies I put in garage when a frost but when I back out windscreen mists up

#99669 Reply

KerryB
    Participant

On another forum, with the same question, folks were advising homemade damp traps in the form of an old sock filled with cat litter. I was surprised how many people use these!

#99670 Reply

Wigwam
    Participant

Our other car, an old Jazz, rarely goes far and the aircon stopped working years ago, so it tends to get damp inside, and mists up in a moment in rainy weather.

I have a household electric dehumidifier which I put in it every couple of weeks and run it overnight.  Sucks out a cupful of water and solves the problem.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Windscreen misting up inside

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: